tv antenna

/ tv antenna #1  

randy41

Veteran Member
i dropped the tv cable from my phone/internet package the day after the superbowl. now i'm looking at getting an antenna. any recommendations? i live in the mountains south of Roanoke VA. 60 miles to the transmitting tower. no problem doing the installation myself. does a steel roof cause reception problems?

/ tv antenna #3  
Start here for reception stuff
AntennaWeb - Address

Would you be happy with just the channels that city provides? That is important.

I like 50 miles from Nashville and bought the biggest uhf-vhf antennae I could get. We live in a valley so I was unsure what to do so I hoisted that antennae up to 35-40' and could only get 2 or 3 channels but not consistently. It was rated for 60 miles UHF I believe.

Then I bought an antennae for UHF only but the range was 10 miles (70) farther. I could only get 2 channels consistently better at a height of 40'. After considering the cost for a tower and what channels I could get with the antennae, I got a satellite dish.

I never had a dish or cable and did not want the monthly payments, but I caved in after two unsuccessful attempts with fringe type antennas.

If I could get FOX, CBS,ABC, NBC and all their digital channel affiliates, I definitely would have stuck with an antenna.

/ tv antenna #4  
You need to do a bit of research. Most channels now in the digital realm are broadcast on UHF frequencies, even though the channels are "indicated" as old VHF channels. Check on line for the actual broadcast channel, not the indicated channel. In most areas a UHF only antenna will be all you need. For me, the Philly area, all are UHF, except of one network who returned to ch 6, so VHF reception is still needed.

As for the antenna, size is everything. A good UHF will be 6-8' long. An antenna mounted amplifier can also greatly improve the signal for weak channels. I have an antenna and get 20 broadcast channels.

Look at: Solid Signal - Signal Solutions including HDTV Antennas, DIRECTV & DISH Network satellite equipment and home entertainment supplies & accessories A good supplier

Paul

/ tv antenna #5  
just noted on other thread. built a DIY 4 metal cloth hanger cut in half yagi antenna i do believe is what it is called mounted on a 2"x6" lumber about 4 feet in length. (extra length so i can grab a hold of it from floor or toss it up on something and place it behind pictures or what ever might be on the shelf. and out of all the antennas out there, it is buy far the best ever setup i obtained. if i want to really narrow in on a specific tower, i some times use a piece of plywood that has spray glued some foil (kitchen cooking foil) and place behind antenna to pick up some extra single strength.

=============
metal siding, and i would imagine steel roofs may block singles. and if that is case, you might want to try mounting an antenna up higher above the roof. and install a setup to "rotate" and "angle" the antenna (costs more) but would allow you to narrow stuff in and fine tune stuff.

/ tv antenna
just noted on other thread. built a DIY 4 metal cloth hanger cut in half yagi antenna i do believe is what it is called mounted on a 2"x6" lumber about 4 feet in length. (extra length so i can grab a hold of it from floor or toss it up on something and place it behind pictures or what ever might be on the shelf. and out of all the antennas out there, it is buy far the best ever setup i obtained. if i want to really narrow in on a specific tower, i some times use a piece of plywood that has spray glued some foil (kitchen cooking foil) and place behind antenna to pick up some extra single strength.

=============
metal siding, and i would imagine steel roofs may block singles. and if that is case, you might want to try mounting an antenna up higher above the roof. and install a setup to "rotate" and "angle" the antenna (costs more) but would allow you to narrow stuff in and fine tune stuff.
i looked at plans for home made antenna online. sounds like they work.
i used to be able to get fair to poor signal with rabbit ears. this is before digital. i was able to get stations in roanoke as well as some NC stations. the elevation here is at least 2000' above the transmitting antenna.

/ tv antenna #7  
tried them all. up to a couple hundred bucks. powered amps to extreme basic rabbit / loop, i tried 2 or 3 attic setups as well. the attic setups would most likely worked better on a mast above the roof. but in the attic not so good to much interference still inside the attic (dropped cord out of back door for testing to see difference).. and was better off with the DIY 4 metal cloths hanger thing. 30 minutes if that, to measure, cut, attach, and a few bucks for the little device ya pick up at radio shack. ya i still gotta move it around a little bit. but nothing really new there.

/ tv antenna #9  
This site also lets you see what signals you might get. I liked it a little better than the site newbury (post 2) gave because this site actually lists the expected reception levels. Good reception signals at the back of a TV are at 0dBm to +6dBm. Signals lower than that can be received and an amp will help.
And YES, a steel roof will affect signals if the antenna is located too close. Metal will reflect and direct signals coming in and cause timing and phase issues. In the olden days of analog this was most often the cause of "ghosting" and signals fading in and out. I haven't really done a lot with antennas on digital signals so I can't say if that would happen. The best thing would be to get the antenna above the roof by 15-20 ft to help eliminate any issues.

TV Fool

Here is the report given for my house as an example.

Radar-All_zps5a358123.jpg

/ tv antenna #10  
I agree that tvfool is a great resource. Height and direction are critical. In our area, the broadcasters are in the VHF hi and UHF frequencies - so the antennas with super long elements are not required. We dropped satellite in favor of an antenna plus HULU. No regrets at all.