tying down a tractor. Chains vs. straps

/ tying down a tractor. Chains vs. straps #1  

HCJtractor

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240
I have been tying down my M 6800 Kubota with ratchet straps with chains on the ends. I know there is debate about chains vs. straps. I am getting tired of the ratchet mechanisms and am thinking about switching to chains. My question is what size chain and what style load binder? My tractor is around 7,000 ish lbs. I assume 5/16" grade 70 chain or should I go 3/8"?Which binder, the ratchet style or the lever style? Which is better in your opinion? I am not sure what S.C. law requires, but they don't seem to be checking loads much anyway. I just want to be safe, and have a system that is fairly quick and easy.

/ tying down a tractor. Chains vs. straps #2  
I would go with 4 short pieces of the 5/16" chain, something around 10' each. I tow a 5,600# unit and that is what I use. Put 2 on the rear 2 on the front with binders. I then put a strap over the implement if I have one and the bucket of my loader.

Binder style is a preference. I use the old school lever style.

Lowes has a good price on 20' 5/16" chain that is American made. I cut mine each in half and use them that way. Some put a second hook on the other end of each piece but I have found I do not need it with the way my binders hook to my trailer.

Chris

/ tying down a tractor. Chains vs. straps #3  
Although 5/16 would do, me, Id go with 3/8`just because. Yes it`s a bit heavier and costs a bit more but I sooner go bigger IMHO.
As for binders use the over center reactionless ones CAC Slings - Safety Release Lever Binder , they`re safer than the `knock your teeth out kind`, just my 2 cents worth....Mike

/ tying down a tractor. Chains vs. straps #4  
IIRC, federal transport requirements are that the TWO rear chains have a combined working load limit equal to the weight of what you are tying down. So each chain needs a WLL of 3500#. 5/16" G70 has a WLL of 4700# so that would meet your needs.

I prefer the ratchets over the lever style. It's much easier to get it tight at the right point vs. one link too loose, the next link too tight with the lever style. Then with the lever style you still need to secure than levers so that they don't come loose. When you make your first stop to check things after a few miles and one of the chains is a bit loose, the ratchet style is quick work with just a quick crank or two. The lever style you have to take it loose and start over.

The local tractor dealer mechanic uses the lever style with a 4 foot cheater pipe. People have gotten hurt if they fly open.

If you want to go to the horse's mouth (although your eyes may glaze over), here are the federal regulations:
Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Cargo Securement Rules - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Ken

/ tying down a tractor. Chains vs. straps #5  
Either chain in a grade 70 will suit you just fine. I prefer the rachet binders over the lever ones to prevent teeth loss and broken jaws... Lol. I dont like the straps simply because they stretch a tad and allow the equip to rock back and forth just a little on the trailer and that bugs me.

/ tying down a tractor. Chains vs. straps #6  
If your unit is a 4WD there is usually a recommended positioning and procedure for the front axle tie down. Many dealers don't pay any attention to this when hauling tractors but if you are trailering yours a lot you might want to check it out to prevent damage to your unit. it's your money:)

/ tying down a tractor. Chains vs. straps #7  
I vote for 5/16 grade 70 chain and ratchet binders. That is what I have been using for 4 years and I have no complaints.

I tried the lever binders and didn't like them because it seemed like the chain was always a little loose or too tight if I tried to attach the hook one link higher.

/ tying down a tractor. Chains vs. straps #8  
I used straps at first. But no matter how careful I was, they still got knicked up.

I switched to chains a long time ago, and use lever style "boomer" binders. I use those mostly because that's what my Dad used, and his Dad before that...