TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #71  
I agree with you that some things say made in america and yet have foreign parts. However, there are products that are made 100% in the usa. Plus, i guess im struggling to understand when you say "sub-standard in quality". Are you saying these are sub quality to their chinese counterparts? Plus, isn't buying something that has 60% of componets made in america better than buying something with 100% made overseas?

Several things that don't make sense. Your "Foreign" covers too much territitory for me. Just like there are foreign products that are inferior, there are also foreign products that are superior.

As an example, John Deere uses Yanmar engines and lots of other parts too. Yanmar is not a USA company; it's foreign. Yanmar is a larger - and probably superior - manufacturer of big diesel engines than almost anyone. They just happen to make excellent small engines too.
So I'm curious. When you look at JD, how does JD and Yanmars collaboration feel to you?

To me, it doesn't make any difference at all to me whether something is made in the USA or overseas. It's the same planet for everyone. I care more about the quality.

What America has going for it is we don't have to save a job to have a job. In America, anyone who wants a job can simply create one & succeed or fail. No guarantees.

Back to tractors.... My own feeling is that JD has gone too far towards being unfixable by the average owner. They have trapped people into a dealer service network that is only to their advantage.
I'd like to see more tractors that are capable of being repaired by any average mechanic.
That direction is where I'd like to see the industry go and I think that ultimately it would create more jobs - particularly the small business type of jobs that I think we are losing.
rScotty

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #72  
Several things that don't make sense. Your "Foreign" covers too much territitory for me. Just like there are foreign products that are inferior, there are also foreign products that are superior.

As an example, John Deere uses Yanmar engines and lots of other parts too. Yanmar is not a USA company; it's foreign. Yanmar is a larger - and probably superior - manufacturer of big diesel engines than almost anyone. They just happen to make excellent small engines too.
So I'm curious. When you look at JD, how does JD and Yanmars collaboration feel to you?

To me, it doesn't make any difference at all to me whether something is made in the USA or overseas. It's the same planet for everyone. I care more about the quality.

What America has going for it is we don't have to save a job to have a job. In America, anyone who wants a job can simply create one & succeed or fail. No guarantees.

Back to tractors.... My own feeling is that JD has gone too far towards being unfixable by the average owner. They have trapped people into a dealer service network that is only to their advantage.
I'd like to see more tractors that are capable of being repaired by any average mechanic.
That direction is where I'd like to see the industry go and I think that ultimately it would create more jobs - particularly the small business type of jobs that I think we are losing.
rScotty
I Should have been more clear. Im talking about inferior foreign products but still, im not saying yanmar is a bad engine, in fact it is a excellent engine. No problems with yanmar. Rather what i utterly disagree with you is buying american made products. You cant tell me that shipping our industry manufacturing overseas is good for jobs, because it's not. Just take a look at detroit. Agreed that anyone in america can create a job. Indeed. The point im trying to get across is that buying american made is saving jobs that wouldn't be there otherwise. Agree to disagree, I will always buy american made. To the tractors part, i agree that JD has made it harder to work on by the average mechanic. However, this is something we see in all brands. With emmision standards, many times there aren't other options

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #73  
You cant tell me that shipping our industry manufacturing overseas is good for jobs, because it's not.

Going WAAAAYYY off topic - this is a statement I here often, but don't actually agree with. Economies evolve. If they don't, they become stagnant and get left behind.

We don't have blacksmiths in this country any more. Or Coopers. Or Silversmiths. Those used to be well paying, middle class/trade jobs, and there used to be a LOT of them. But, you don't hear "save the blacksmiths jobs." Obviously, that's because those economies have become outdated, and technology has moved on.

In a global economy, the fact of the matter is manufacturing jobs are headed in that direction too. The best way to save our middle class is to reinvest in training and education in new emerging sectors, not try to prop up dying industries that we will never be able to compete with due to labor costs and increased automation.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #74  
Going WAAAAYYY off topic - this is a statement I here often, but don't actually agree with. Economies evolve. If they don't, they become stagnant and get left behind.

We don't have blacksmiths in this country any more. Or Coopers. Or Silversmiths. Those used to be well paying, middle class/trade jobs, and there used to be a LOT of them. But, you don't hear "save the blacksmiths jobs." Obviously, that's because those economies have become outdated, and technology has moved on.

In a global economy, the fact of the matter is manufacturing jobs are headed in that direction too. The best way to save our middle class is to reinvest in training and education in new emerging sectors, not try to prop up dying industries that we will never be able to compete with due to labor costs and emerging technology/automation.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #75  
My own feeling is that JD has gone too far towards being unfixable by the average owner. They have trapped people into a dealer service network that is only to their advantage.
Sorry for the long post -

@rScotty I'm not sure it can realistically happen. In small tractors - CUT and SCUT perhaps.

We all want machines that do more and make our life using them easier. The solution to getting more performance and ease of use is integration of more sophisticated adaptable computed solutions on the machine. This leads to the need for more advanced electronic controls. The more we advance and increase sophistication of the controls, the more we need to develop sophisticated (read that high cost) diagnostic tools and equipment.

As shade tree mechanics, the integration of these advanced systems makes the repair and maintenance harder and harder for we do not have the skills/training needed.

I live this everyday in auto business. My company makes said diagnostic tools for shade tree mechanics wanting to repair VAG cars. Our team is constantly looking for ways to keep our tool working and adding value to those who opt to repair in the back yard under their shade tree. It gets harder each and every model year owing to all the bells and whistles consumers are demanding and OEs are implementing.

It also gets harder for our auto support techs who are assisting tool users to repair the cars. They have to be trained on how the systems work before they can help others. They study the materials we buy access to from the OE. We can afford to buy that access since we really only support one brand - VAG.

The average shade tree mechanic in the backyard - up until the Right to Repair was passed - could not afford the access to the materials. Right to Repair changed that.

Someone in this thread mentioned that things are not black and white. They are wise. They most certainly are not. Gone are the days when we could repair our autos without specialty tools and training. I think we can agree that gone are the days for repairing newer tractor models for exactly the same reasons.

Do the OEs want more service business? You bet they do. In the auto industry, the OE dealer is not making much on the sale of new machines. He makes his money on accessories and on service. From all I read here - and I read a lot on this forum - the posters here are telling that the same exists for ag machine dealers. They make their money on selling implements and service.

So, if their dealer network needs more money from service, is it in the best interest of the OE to make service dealer oriented? Yes it is. This will be true of all OEs and dealers.

What is lacking in the tractor world is independent tool makers. Why? The market is not there. We've looked. There are no standards. Each OE has his own diagnostic port configured his own way. If an independent guy was to come along and want to develop a tool, what brand would he choose? The largest market brand with the biggest potential return.

If maintaining your own gear is a driving force, then the tractor community has to force some standardization much like what happened with the Right to Repair and the auto community. While it was not the full deal those envisioning their Right had in mind, it did level the playing field giving access at a "reasonable cost". Seems to me, that is where the tractor community has to go.

For our tractor use, we will stay with old tech on older machines for as long as we are able. Right - computer Geeks don't want to play with the computers on the tractor. We want to turn the key and get to work. (We run a 2005 Massey 1533. She runs like a dream and has none of the sophisticated controls. We do most maintenance ourselves but do send to the dealer for things that are a bit over our heads. For our property management, Missy is a good fit and we don't need a lot of the new stuff available. IE, we are not in the market for a new machine.)

Some have asked us to develop an independent tool for tractors. Sorry. The market is not there. There are simply not enough potential sales at a $500 unit cost to justify the huge development cost. (There are some guys in Eastern Europe who have made some tools for ag machines.. they claim they can do JD and Kubota. They are not super cheap but tools exist.)

Why do I throw out the number $500? Because that is about the max we find shade tree guys will pay for a diagnostic tool they use occasionally. Go higher and the decision to get one becomes too hard to make.

My suggestion: Push for standards so that a tool could be made to work on most ag machines. Then there will be an aftermarket for diagnostic tools.

(Incidentally, why did we choose VAG? They are the #1 or #2 in the world most years. We can do a VAG specific tool owing to their volume. That, and the boss loves VAG. I love them too! They are unreliable, always breaking - so there is more need for tools!)

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #76  

In a global economy, the fact of the matter is manufacturing jobs are headed in that direction too. The best way to save our middle class is to reinvest in training and education in new emerging sectors, not try to prop up dying industries that we will never be able to compete with due to labor costs and increased automation.
You make a good point and I didn't look at it that way

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #77  
0% financing just means the buyer amortized that as principle over the length of the loan. Say, $17k 😂

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #78  
0% on my MF meant the same length loan but lower payments. As I plan on keeping this tractor past the end of the loan(forever?), 0% made sense for my case.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #79  
0% financing just means the buyer amortized that as principle over the length of the loan. Say, $17k 😂
Most people are focused on monthly cash flow, not total payments. Because most people are paid and pay their bills bi-weekly or monthly. Most people make financial decisions based on whether the payment fits their cash flow budget.

/ TYM T474 vs John Deere 4044M #80  
And there are a *lot* of people who understand exactly what they are doing and take advantage of it when it makes sense.

It cracks me up how everyone is so black and white about things. Do this your dumb, do that your smart. There is no in between these days on anything.
What is it you think you're taking advantage of?
You don't even know the percentage of interest they hide in the cost to make it look like you're paying no interest.
I'm glad you're laughing thinking there are "grays" in financing.
Basically it is quite black and white...you pay money to buy time....all the time, every single time.

Last edited: