Using a generator to power welder.

/ Using a generator to power welder. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
I have a small generator (Honda EU 2000i). It says output is 120V 13.3A

I have a couple of welders that will work on 120V. One is stick and one is multi process (Lincoln 210 MP).

Is it likely that either of these will run off my generator. I suspect not but thought it best to ask.

I need to repair my gate and there is no power at the location. Closest power is approx 1 mile away.

Thanks, in advance.

/ Using a generator to power welder. #2  
It would have to be a pretty wimpy welder to run off a Honda 2000...

SR

/ Using a generator to power welder. #3  
don't bother, rent something that will do the job properly!. a welder/generator or an oxy/acetylene welder..

/ Using a generator to power welder. #4  
Any 110 volt welder I've ever seen needs every bit of 20amps with a short heavy power cord.

/ Using a generator to power welder.
I'll call the welder that built and installed the gate. Just was curious if I had the tools to handle it. Now I know that I don't.

Thanks.

/ Using a generator to power welder. #6  
Not mentioned, but can your gate hinges be removed and the whole gate moved to the welder (instead of vice-versa)? (Mountain to muhammed, IOW) ...Steve

/ Using a generator to power welder. #7  
Yeah, they will run at low setting but I think you're going to struggle with a decent weld unless your material thicknesses are pretty thin.

/ Using a generator to power welder.
Not mentioned, but can your gate hinges be removed and the whole gate moved to the welder (instead of vice-versa)? (Mountain to muhammed, IOW) ...Steve

The part that needs repair is connected to the post that is cemented in the ground. A guy cut my lock last December. I want to fix it up so that a bolt cutter can't get to the locks. My short-term fix was connecting a cable (bulldog) clamp on the lock shackle in such a way that a bolt cutter can't get to the shackle. I should have checked the build when it was installed. My fault for not doing so.

The Burglar got three cans of gas, 1/2 a pole saw and my undivided attention. I had him identified within 5 days. Sheriff picked him up and, when presented with the video, he had no choice but to confess.

My greatest hope is that word gets out that there are "cameras everywhere".

Still need to fix the gate, though.

Thanks to all for the info.

/ Using a generator to power welder. #9  
Your welder will run off the Honda but not at max amps. If you can get say 120 amps out of the 210mp at 120v on a 20a circuit you will only get about 75% of that or 90 amps. Obviously much higher and you will trip the breaker on the Honda. Take the Honda out of “Eco Mode” and play with it. If it was me I’d stick to some skinny 6011 and stick weld. I didn’t read anything beyond your gate so I’m hoping it’s just some simple welds.....

/ Using a generator to power welder. #10  
It sure pisses me off when I hear of thiefs work. Glad to hear you persevered and 'got' him. Good luck on the repair.