Using my dirt scoop

/ Using my dirt scoop #1  

RobJ

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2500
No FEL on my tractor but the little dirt scoop that could worked fine. I wanted to build a little raised garden/bed near the house...within range of the sprinkler system since it's a weekend place. Worked like a champ. I did leave one side open so I could back in. My dirt was already prepared to be moved by piling it up with the BB. I also mixed in some compost, peat, store bought soil to spice it up. Somehow got my neighbors ancient tiller working that has been siting outside in the same place since 2001!

If I can keep my BIL cows out...it might work out! We'll see how that little electric fence works.

Few pics....

Rob

Attachments

• elkhart-raised-bed.JPG
    elkhart-raised-bed.JPG
    192.1 KB · Views: 409
  • elkhart-raised-bed (1).JPG
    elkhart-raised-bed (1).JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 571
  • elkhart-raised-bed (2).JPG
    elkhart-raised-bed (2).JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 834
  • elkhart-raised-bed (4).JPG
    elkhart-raised-bed (4).JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 561
  • elkhart-raised-bed (9).JPG
    elkhart-raised-bed (9).JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 405
  • elkhart-raised-bed (11).JPG
    elkhart-raised-bed (11).JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 334
   / Using my dirt scoop #2  
You did a nice job there. It sure beats using a shovel and wheelbarrow..

/ Using my dirt scoop #3  
Before I bought my Montana I used an old dirt scoop on my Ford 2000 and it was an incredible tool. Spent a lot of time fixing it, welding cracks, built a new trip mechanism for it - but I worked it hard. It is now a working lawn ornament.:D

Once you get a loader you will never go back though!

/ Using my dirt scoop
You did a nice job there. It sure beats using a shovel and wheelbarrow..

Thanks, that's for sure, I knew I had the tractor and scoop, but getting that tiller running was golden!! For a simple machine, it does it's job. Got an eye out for a used 3pt tiller, none yet.

/ Using my dirt scoop
Once you get a loader you will never go back though!

I can promise you this tractor will never ever see a FEL. :) If I need one that bad, just a short walk to the west, or east or south...and I have one I can use!

Hey and this scoop is only a $300 option!

/ Using my dirt scoop #6  
A lot of work has been done with scoops. Try doing the same job with a shovel. I remember seeing mules pull one to clean a pond years ago.

/ Using my dirt scoop #7  
"A lot of work has been done with scoops. Try doing the same job with a shovel. I remember seeing mules pull one to clean a pond years ago....."

Sure has been a lot of work done with them. They were the FEL of their day for many people 100 years ago.

Several years ago we decided to clean out one of our smaller dirt tanks using one of these on an NAA while my 8n was tasked with pulling a chisel to loosen the soil. There we went, me making passes with the chisel and dad making passes with the scoop mounted front-facing scraper style. It took us several days but we managed to clean the little tank out and do so much cheaper than the dozer man could.

Those little scoops certainly aren't as good as an FEL (or a dozer) but they can earn their worth back very quickly doing a lot of small jobs around the place.

/ Using my dirt scoop #8  
Rob,

Nice job. Is it just for flowers?

I've never used a scoop, but find them interesting. Just one of those attachments that seem like a good idea for a very small investment.

Eddie

/ Using my dirt scoop #9  
No FEL on this property either, nearest one is about 600 feet away.
I used mine on the little Ford 1100, but it was too small for my JD2555. I found a 30" scoop and managed to tear up the bucket (rusted pretty badly anyway). The new and improved bucket I made out of 3/16" steel works great.
I would own a FEL, but too cheap to buy one right now...
David from jax

/ Using my dirt scoop
Rob,

Nice job. Is it just for flowers?

I've never used a scoop, but find them interesting. Just one of those attachments that seem like a good idea for a very small investment.

Eddie

Hey Eddie, some small Vincas, flowers around the edge then some veggies in the middle. Close to the house it will get water. Now if I can keep the cows out!!

$300 for this scoop a couple years back. Cheap and handy. I also used it this day to fill some holes in the yard. Dump just a little, drop it to lock it again, use the scoop to smooth it out! If you needed a little drainage ditch or swell, it'd do that to. I don't think it'll cut to deep.