Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you.

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #21  
The PJ Trailer sounds very interesting. I am going to take a look at a 77" x 12' Utility trailer tonight or tomorrow. I know it is not aluminum, but it may work very well for what I want. Nice thing is the sides are removable or I can leave them on.

How far are you from Reese Mi.?? They have a aluma dealer over there and he also sells steel trailers.Two brothers run the place very fair prices..I believe its called reese trailer sales..

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you.
How far are you from Reese Mi.?? They have a aluma dealer over there and he also sells steel trailers.Two brothers run the place very fair prices..I believe its called reese trailer sales..

That is where I stopped to look at the Aluma trailers. I don't remember him having any steel trailers. I will have to check after I look at the PJ Trailer.

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #23  
I have a 7’ x 14’ PJ trailer with a single 5200lb axle. It has removable sides, well protected wiring, bull dog coupler, spare tire, and LED lights all around.

I use removable stake pocket D rings for tie downs and PJ’s Ready-Rail system allows you to add a lot of extra features. I plan on buying some expanded steel and fabricating some removable mesh sides to haul loose materials.

It tows great and pivots nicely. Love the trailer for what I use it for which is mostly hauling brush, logs, lawn mowers, and bulky materials.

IMG_1741.JPGIMG_1847.JPG

Last edited:
   / Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #24  
... The biggest advice I will give is to consider tire size. My utility trailer is 6 by 10 with a single 3500 pound axle. I SHOULD be able to put 2800-2900 lbs on it but by the time I am around 1700+ the rinky-dink 13 inch rim, narrow tires that came with it are half flat, even with extra air in them. I would swap them for 15inch tires, but ...
If you can get 16" tires that would be even better as it will give you more options for rubber. The ST tires have a reputation for coming apart on the road. (my experience is mixed, I have some that have worked well for many thousands of miles and several years, some that shredded on the road, and one that was a spare tire and never touched pavement shredded.) There are several discussions about whether LT tires would be appropriate for trailers - just watch your load ratings, ST tires have a higher load rating, but LT tires never seem to shred.

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #25  
That is where I stopped to look at the Aluma trailers. I don't remember him having any steel trailers. I will have to check after I look at the PJ Trailer.

I guess I was thinking of the the cargo trailers they sell.They had the best price on the aluma trailers when I bought mine from them few years back.I have a bumper pull PJ 20ft.14,000 axles that I purchased 8-10 years ago that has been excellent also.

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #26  
I have a 10 ton flat deck pintle for heavy work, a 16 car hauler with a steel deck and regular car hauler ramps, and a 5x8 with a wood deck and hinge gate. I hate the steel deck on the car hauler. I also hate the ramps on the car hauler. Hinged ramps are much less hassle. The expanded metal floors on the lighter utility trailers suck too. I’m probably going to get a tilt deck trailer to replace the car hauler.

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #27  
Only run Goose Necks here, no bumper pulls.

For heavy work behind pickup trucks I’d agree but for light work a bumper pull is much easier to deal with. I used to have a 10 ton GN but I sold it to buy a pintle hook to pull behind my 6500 dump truck.

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #28  
For heavy work behind pickup trucks I’d agree but for light work a bumper pull is much easier to deal with. I used to have a 10 ton GN but I sold it to buy a pintle hook to pull behind my 6500 dump truck.

It’s funny you mention this. I’ve always had tag along trailers and thought about switching to a 24’ gooseneck. My buddy has one so used it a few times and yes it’s a little smoother pulling but not as much difference as I expected plus it’s a much bigger hassle to hook up etc. So decided to sell my 22’ between fenders equipment trailer and went to a 24’ PJ conventional hitch deckover. Couldn’t be happier. IMG_1685.jpg

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #29  
Those of you with heavy trailers (10,000# +) that are bumper pull, do you use a load equalizing hitch?

/ Utility Trailer - What type of design worked best for you. #30  
Those of you with heavy trailers (10,000# +) that are bumper pull, do you use a load equalizing hitch?

Do if my DK45S is on the trailer or if hauling debris from my nephews stump grinding business. Last load was 7 feet wide, 8 feet long and piled 2 feet high on the front of a 20' trailer with sideboards. Had to load it on the front because the stump grinder was setting over the axles.