VOIP Experience

/ VOIP Experience #31  
You did not misunderstand; but as you stated that would only be a short term solution. Also cell phones just plain suck.
The other point that was not addressed in the original post I made is that while my DSL did not fail even though the phone line is dead, dead, dead; the DSL internet is only 1.5 MBPS download and 400-500 kbps upload. Most of you folks think anything less than 10 MBPS is bad. I am barely better than dial up from 20 years ago. Wifi calling on the cell phone is really not any better than 80 years ago 1930 telephone quality becasue the slow speed does not support it.

I love how some folks keep insisting that our phones are fiber and we don't know it and only the "last mile" is copper. Well in my current house the fiber ends over 6 miles away, then copper that is 50 years old. The house that is being built in Montana has the fiber ending 10.3 miles away. Big push for fiber to rural areas, yes but that is a future plan. Claim by the Montana phone company (thankfully not Century link) is that the fiber will be in place in 3 years. When they trenched in the house phone line (1500 feet) they also trenched in fiber conduit so they don't have to do it in 3 years but there is no fiber to hook up to for 10.3 miles at this time. At least they were looking forward in their plan.
That is why I suggest the Starlink. I'm getting almost 200Mbps. Fast enough for most uses. I just ran it...this is on my phone using Wifi6. It was 196 yesterday. I'll take 161 on the low end.

1000001707.jpg

/ VOIP Experience #32  
We have fiber and went to VOIP. The old copper phone lines went out frequently, and if there was a power outage the copper would go completely dead after 48 hours. The fiber stays up nicely, and I can power the router and VOIP box with a 200w inverter and a car battery. For house phones we have a 20 year old 5 station wireless answering machine, so we don't have to chase down our cell phone if the phone rings.

We also use WIFI calling on our cell phones, but it is clunkier. WIFI calling does not handle cross talk well. It's handy if my wife is on a long call and I want to use the phone, though.

/ VOIP Experience #33  
That is why I suggest the Starlink. I'm getting almost 200Mbps. Fast enough for most uses. I just ran it...this is on my phone using Wifi6. It was 196 yesterday. I'll take 161 on the low end.

View attachment 835826
That's a heck of a lot different then my results, my dish used to point straight north then a few weeks ago it shifted to face North East.

/ VOIP Experience #35  
For over 15 years I use OOMA. $120 equpement from Costco or anywhere else and about $5 monthly payment. Caller ID, no limits, free calls to many countries. In my woods I have a very bad internet, 15mbps on a good day. Never had any problems with the phone. Even more, up to last year we had only 5mbps but the phone worked no problem.

/ VOIP Experience #36  
Boy am I glad we have had fiber for years now. Even out here in the middle of flyover country, everyone has fiber high speed and it always works too. We even get a deal on usage from our local provider and if we have an issue they always take care of it and if it's something we don't understand, they come out and fix it no charge. Has to be the most friendly provider around. When they plowed in the cable, they even plowed it around my pine trees on the front property line so as not to disturb them. Very accommodating and yes, we own stock in the company as well and we always get a nice dividend too.

/ VOIP Experience #37  
I have SL and it works, and it works a bit better then my other option which is a point to point wireless which I used for over 20 years before SL.
However I am not that impressed with it while it does work it's certainly not the best thing since sliced bread.
My wife is still working and she works from home using a VPN that her employer requires, it will drop out and loss connection several times a day almost every day.
View attachment 835680
This is obstructed???? what the h?

View attachment 835681

Not a very impressive speed test either
View attachment 835682

Maybe the phone company where you are but not around here.
Still lots of buried and overhead copper cables in use and being worked on daily because of complaints.
I ended up dropping mine over 10 years ago as it was unusable.
Also no DSL as we are to far out from the "hubs" it only extended almost 3 miles from town.
its literally telling you there is obstructions, of course if there is a connection drop the vpn will drop, not entire sure what you expect here.

/ VOIP Experience #38  
Questions
1. After you buy the $599 equipment what happens if it breaks and you are told you need to get a replacement unit since there is no technical support.
2. How does it connect to existing systems. Does it just plug into the RG8 cables that are in the house or is there a rewire required.
3. For VOIP it seems you have to buy a separate unit to plug into the Starlink and then have to buy a VOIP phone.
Can that VOIP pone then power the old phone wire in the house or be plugged into the legacy wireless phone system that was used with copper wire phones?
4. If you have a second "home" in another location (500 miles away) can you pack up the system and take it or do you have to have the mobile RV plan to do that (50% more per month)
1. $599 in equipment? Is that starlink equipment? Elon will tell you to bend over if it fails outside any warranty period

2. Starlink Uses RJ45 ethernet or wifi

3. You don't "have to" buy hardware you can use a "softphone" option. Get one of these
And you can plug in and use your existing old phones for VOIP
4. Voip can go anywhere. You have to pay Elon more money to move around.

/ VOIP Experience #39  
If you have a good internet connection then VOIP is a good solution if your service provider supports it and a cell phone can also work using the Wi-Fi calling if your cell phone and service support it. You can get Mint service for as low as $15/month per phone and they support wifi calling.

/ VOIP Experience #40  
We have fiber and went to VOIP. The old copper phone lines went out frequently, and if there was a power outage the copper would go completely dead after 48 hours. The fiber stays up nicely, and I can power the router and VOIP box with a 200w inverter and a car battery.
Do you have fiber directly to your house?
For whatever reason when they ran it here they use the fiber for the trunk line, but distribution to customers is via coax. Not sure why. If the power goes out, all those fiber-to-copper converters go down.
Fortunately, we don't lose power very often.