Mowing Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership?

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership?
Bought a landscape rake from the dealer and it was at least a year old, but unused. He would have gladly ordered a new one, but I would have had to pony up for the price increases that have incurred, which was a couple hundred dollars, plus wait twelve weeks for delivery.

I bought it to use, not polish, anyway.

Makes sense and thanks for your input!

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #32  
I've always found the one on the lot is the better deal. "we can order a new one in, but it's at the 2022 price and freight went up etc. etc."

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #33  
I was looking at a dump box that I knew had been sitting for a year. I asked if they had any wiggle room on the price. I got a lecture on how you don't bargain for the price of groceries etc. I walked and never went back. A simple civil "No, the price is firm" might have kept me interested.

Doug in SW IA

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #34  
... I got a lecture on how you don't bargain for the price of groceries etc.
Ever heard of day old bread? Walk past the meat case and look at the orange stickers marking down items ready to expire. The salesman used a poor example to try to make a point.

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #35  
Ever heard of day old bread? Walk past the meat case and look at the orange stickers marking down items ready to expire. The salesman used a poor example to try to make a point.
Yep. Todays butcher's special is tomorrow's meat in the deli chili.

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #36  
Curious as to how common this is across the country. Just about every dealership around here sells new implements that are two, three or four years old or more. Looking at a finish mower and one dealership has one that is a year old. Another dealership has two that are three years old with faded paint from sitting in the weather for so long. Asked how much a new one would be if I ordered one and was told same price. Not that it’s an issue but was thinking about dry rotted belts, water in the gearbox and things like that but not so much the faded paint. Is this normal in the implement world?
What brand are you shopping? We have a Mahindra dealer who has tractors that are years old. Everything at Massey Ferguson dealers is brand new, it's all flying off the lot

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #37  
Interesting tales. A few weeks ago I bought a Woods box scraper from a dealer in the next State over. They would not budge on the price. I went for it as I felt I needed one now and not in 18 weeks (and recent rains proved me right).

While they did load it, pallet and all, on my truck, I had to assemble the bits myself. Not that big a deal, but when I read the Woods manual, it seemed to require the dealers to do that. When I asked them about it (hoping for a rebate, what a dreamer) was told they deliver all their stuff that way.

At least it looked brand new, no rust or anything.

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #38  
If dealers have new equipment that's years aged and unsold, they have to be overpriced compared what demand is willing to pay. They cannot stay in business unless they sell stuff, replace with new and then sell that. Dealers need to make an honest profit so they can stay I business and provide needed services. That's what they do. Customers need to buy stuff at the best price that they can. That's what they do.

If, in the course of those years and old equipment, not a single buyer showed up at all of those dealers, something is wrong. A new shop owner that went to a business school would immediately auction off stuff that's not selling and hasn't sold. They would fill the place with stuff that turns over and if it doesn't, adios.

I often go to farm auctions that have new but aged equipment from dealers and it generally gets a severe price haircut. It's tough to sell faded paint.

Last edited:
   / Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #39  
Interesting tales. A few weeks ago I bought a Woods box scraper from a dealer in the next State over. They would not budge on the price. I went for it as I felt I needed one now and not in 18 weeks (and recent rains proved me right).

While they did load it, pallet and all, on my truck, I had to assemble the bits myself. Not that big a deal, but when I read the Woods manual, it seemed to require the dealers to do that. When I asked them about it (hoping for a rebate, what a dreamer) was told they deliver all their stuff that way.

At least it looked brand new, no rust or anything.
I believe I would zip off an email to Woods corporate office regarding assembly required when manual states that is dealer prep procedure. Along with dealers response and if course dealer information. Nothing may ever come about from it, but if anyone ever got hurt from improper assembly…..

/ Was your new implement old when you purchased it from the dealership? #40  
all of my dealership purchases were new ... manufactured within 6 months of receiving them