Water line question

/ Water line question #101  
What ever pipe you use, don't sleeve it. Just shade the pipe with 6" of construction sand.

/ Water line question #102  
I ran 11/4 pvc from meter to house which was about 270’ I then continued the run to shop with 1” pvc. I had purchased two can of blue cement and 2 cans of purple primer. I took the blue back and got the green. Always thought blue was the best. Thanks guys for your help.
What is green cement? My Water Utility requires "Heavy Duty Clear Cement and Purple Primer" Every Inspector that I've ever dealt with in every city that I've worked in has required "Heavy Duty Cement and Purple Primer" on all PVC lines. That includes drain and vent lines. Other stuff might work for something like a vent line, but the first thing they look for is the purple color on the pipe. Once they see that, they usually trust that you used Heavy Duty Clear Cement. I've only been asked about that once, and I think he was kind of new to the job.

Talk to the person in charge of the Water Utility on what you should use.

Almost every failure is from the connections.

/ Water line question #103  
Some localities near here require an air-leak test of all drain/vent as well as supply lines on new builds. Plumber doesn't like climbing roof to remove caps on stacks after getting green tag.

/ Water line question
I’m in a very rural area and we are lucky to have city water. It was only possible years ago with a grant from federal government.

the green can cement I got was heavy duty clear.

/ Water line question #105  
I sure wouldn't consider it "luck" to have city water! lol

SR

/ Water line question #106  
We had a choice to have a well or be on city water. The city water is on the other side of the state highway and would cost as much in connection charges as a well would cost. There are additional monthly fees, frequent boil water notices, and their pumps quit on a regular basis among other issues with the water company. We made a good decision to go with a well.

/ Water line question #107  
My hook up to a 2” community water meter was included in purchase price of my property. I pay $35/ month off season, about $100 at peak of hot season.

got a bid on a well and small holding tank 15 years ago. $45,000

ill stick with community well. Plus its backed up with a pair of 130kw generators and 2x250,000 underground holding tanks.

/ Water line question #108  
We had a choice to have a well or be on city water. The city water is on the other side of the state highway and would cost as much in connection charges as a well would cost. There are additional monthly fees, frequent boil water notices, and their pumps quit on a regular basis among other issues with the water company. We made a good decision to go with a well.
City water line was across a State Highway for me too. In 2005, it cost me $3,500 to have a bore drilled under the highway and then a metal pipe pulled through that hole, and then they installed the gasketed water lines through the hole and tapped into the main water line. They also installed a valve inside my property line. From that valve, I installed the gasketed pipe to my home, and the Water Department came back and inspected what I did, and they installed the meter. By installing the meter next to my house, they became responsible for the line leading up to the meter. I forget why this was something they wanted, but I didn't see any negatives to it. About 5 years later, I had a leak in the water line and they came out and fixed it.

Couple years ago I had a Natural Gas line installed from across the highway to the house. Cost of the bore hole, pipe, sleeve and their labor was $3,800

I've never heard of a well that was drilled for less then $4,000

/ Water line question #109  
City water line was across a State Highway for me too. In 2005, it cost me $3,500 to have a bore drilled under the highway and then a metal pipe pulled through that hole, and then they installed the gasketed water lines through the hole and tapped into the main water line. They also installed a valve inside my property line. From that valve, I installed the gasketed pipe to my home, and the Water Department came back and inspected what I did, and they installed the meter. By installing the meter next to my house, they became responsible for the line leading up to the meter. I forget why this was something they wanted, but I didn't see any negatives to it. About 5 years later, I had a leak in the water line and they came out and fixed it.

Couple years ago I had a Natural Gas line installed from across the highway to the house. Cost of the bore hole, pipe, sleeve and their labor was $3,800

I've never heard of a well that was drilled for less then $4,000
The well was a lot more than $4,000. The cost for boring under the road, the connection, all the things up to and including the meter was more than $10k. Don't remember exactly, but was close to the cost of the well estimate. Mine was done in Oct 2013.

/ Water line question #110  
Eddie, the "green can" cement is Heavy Duty. I bought a can at Lowe's yesterday-- it has green on the label.

I just changed my well pump to a Subdrive 20 constant pressure system. I really like it-- I have the benefits of a well and city-type pressure. I now have constant 60psi no matter what is going on in the house or irrigation.

The well pump is also 3 phase, so if you only have a very small draw like opening a faucet, the pump spins very slowly keeping up with the small demand As demand increases it spins as fasts as needed to keep up.