welding carts

/ welding carts
I got some SOOW cord for my snow implements and LOVED that stuff. But for this I'll go with whatever covering is less costly. It wouldn't be outside very much.

Last edited:
   / welding carts #152  
I got some SOOW cord for my snow implements and LOVED that stuff. But for this I'll go with whatever covering is less costly. It would be out very much.
One final suggestion in my experience if you use cheaper less durable aluminum stranded wire I'd make sure all connections in the plugs where wiring is connected to blades, are coated with an anti-oxidation paste like no-ox or similar. good luck again lol.

/ welding carts
One final suggestion in my experience if you use cheaper less durable aluminum stranded wire I'd make sure all connections in the plugs where wiring is connected to blades, are coated with an anti-oxidation paste like no-ox or similar. good luck again lol.
I'll go with all copper wire.

/ welding carts #154  
"you'll pay $10.55/ft for SOOW in 3x8AWG,"

Wow, so if I EVER get stupid enough to sell my 85' cord I should advertise it for "$850, no charge for the connectors" :cool: ... Steve

/ welding carts
"you'll pay $10.55/ft for SOOW in 3x8AWG,"

Wow, so if I EVER get stupid enough to sell my 85' cord I should advertise it for "$850, no charge for the connectors" :cool: ... Steve
Ya, that box of soow two wire 14 gauge I got for implements was costly.

/ welding carts #156  
SOOW is all I use, unless I'm in a pinch and just grabbing whatever is available locally. You'll curse yourself on the first very cold day, if you ever buy any thermoplastic (SEOOW) cord, as they don't want to un-coil when cold. But back when I was buying more cordage, prices weren't nearly as high, either. Lots of 3x6AWG and 5x8AWG SOOW cords in my shop now, which might have ended up being something cheaper, if bought at today's pricing.

/ welding carts #157  
Yeah, besides being able to beat an elephant to death with a #12 "consumer" grade cord if it's below 70 degrees, the rodents dearly LOVE the soy based insulation - neoprene, not so much.

There are several car companies that're fighting law suits over chewed up wiring, so far NONE of 'em are admitting there might be a problem.

Where's the good ol' asbestos when ya really NEED it? :rolleyes: ... Steve

/ welding carts #158  
Yeah, besides being able to beat an elephant to death with a #12 "consumer" grade cord if it's below 70 degrees, the rodents dearly LOVE the soy based insulation - neoprene, not so much.

There are several car companies that're fighting law suits over chewed up wiring, so far NONE of 'em are admitting there might be a problem.

Where's the good ol' asbestos when ya really NEED it? :rolleyes: ... Steve
Interesting. I have a cheap green (probably SJEOOW, but I've never checked) outdoor cord that I use for Christmas lights, and it's been chewed on by many animals over the last 10 years. Now you have me wondering if the jacket is soy based?

/ welding carts #159  
Probably not if it's any type of S cord (and if it's lasted 10 years) - I dug a little deeper and it sounds like ALL wiring is a good snack for rodents, they either gotta chew or die. If your cord has green insulation it's probably one of the plastics, like PVC -

I bookmarked a couple of the sites I hadn't seen before, one covers more S cord versions than I'd seen -

I still haven't found much about what makes a cheap(er) power cord able to act as a temporary tent pole tho... Steve

/ welding carts #160  
Here are a couple of picture of my welding cart. Holds an Everlast stick and a MIG welder w/gas, plus ox/acetylene tanks. Has a bar for hanging clamps, holders for the cables, hooks for helmets. Made out of 2" tube, the large wheels are foam filled wheelbarrow tires, front swivels are scaffold wheels. There is a lifting point on top where I can use my motor lift to put it in the back of my truck if needed. Rolls on concrete very well, possible but harder on gravel or grass. I have enough 220 volt extension cord to get about 50' from the shop. Only thing I think I will change is a bigger box to hold tips, starters. Of course I copied ideas from here.

Attachments

• sgGsTFfyQG2ZE2ZjX5kQog.jpg
    sgGsTFfyQG2ZE2ZjX5kQog.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 43
  • EMw65KH3RtaupndaQJJ4CQ.jpg
    EMw65KH3RtaupndaQJJ4CQ.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 49