What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets?

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #281  
Was meaning to post this a while back...

Replaced my pressure tank. Old one got water logged, which meant that it was heavier than heck. At about 100lbs a new one was still a bit of a hassle to deal with, esp given a recent rotator cuff surgery. Slid the forks close together and shifted both off to one side. To say that this was a squeeze is an understatement! I hadn't factored in that I didn't have a perfectly straight-in shot.

Old tank out:
OutWithOld.jpg

In with the new tank:
InWithNew.jpg

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets?
Wife wanted a 300? lb rock picked out of the center of her garden and it was awkward, partly sunk in the ground and on a bad angle. I put the forks pretty close together and in maybe a minute the rock was out and on the way to some other chosen place in the yard.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #283  
The forks come in handy when needed to rearrange large, heavy crates in a warehouse environment

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #284  
I did not think that pallet forks would be something I needed with my sub compact but then I started to look around at some things I move around and thought to myself how easy it would be to do this or that with my small tractor if I had forks so yesterday I ordered a pair of 43inch forks and now I can not wait till they get here.
It is like a backhoe, I do not need one so I did not get my tractor with one but now I look around and see all the things big and small that I could do if I would have gotten a TLB package.

The first tractor a person buys always seems to be the stepping stone to something bigger and better, call it a learning experience if you will.

Jim.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #285  
I did not think that pallet forks would be something I needed with my sub compact but then I started to look around at some things I move around and thought to myself how easy it would be to do this or that with my small tractor if I had forks so yesterday I ordered a pair of 43inch forks and now I can not wait till they get here.
It is like a backhoe, I do not need one so I did not get my tractor with one but now I look around and see all the things big and small that I could do if I would have gotten a TLB package.

Jim.

There is NOTHING quite like a for play TLB.
I have had one for 33 years.
Recently sold it....to buy a slightly bigger/newer (used) one.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #286  
Breaking in a new stove outside.

The new paint off gasses while curing during the first couple fires.

If done inside, you have to ventilate the house because of the fumes.

Forks came in handy for moving the stove away from the house to do the break in and move it back again.View attachment 614248

I have had the same stove for 4 years, you are going to LOVE it.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #287  
Like seasoning a cast iron pan, surprising how many people don’t know to do it or how.

Jim.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #288  
I ALWAYS use pallet forks to break the bead on tires. Lay the tire flat on the ground with the valve taken out, press down as close to the rim as possible. Sometimes you need a block of hard wood and a big hammer to help the process. Never had one, I couldn't get unseated.

/ What else do you do with forks besides lift pallets? #290  
Lots of things! My pallet forks are the one attachment I've bought where I can directly say, "This saved me money". Number 1 money saving use of my pallet forks? Avoiding lift gate charges for equipment deliveries. Just stick the pallet, and then I can take my time to put the machine (woodworking machines usually) exactly where I want. Given that lift gates are often 100+ on a single delivery, doesn't take many before you break even/"make money".

I also use them all the time for moving wood in IBC cages. I'll take the cages out where ever I'm splitting, chuck the wood in there, put the cages somewhere to season, then go get them when it's cold and move them right next to my back door. I never carry wood except from the cage into the house. But that's one carry compared to the 3-4 I used to do before I went to to the cage/pallet fork system. Love it!

Sometimes I use them when I'm cutting wood, get under the wood with the forks and lift up to make it easier to cut/not cut dirt.

I have a big spade that goes on the forks, I use that sometimes to dig if my backhoe isn't available.

I built a box, about 4x4x3 that I use when I'm chipping, it's a pallet underneath and I'll take the box, fill it with the chipper, and then pick the box up and take the chips where I need them. That works very nicely.

I'm sure I'm missing things. Oh, yeah, unloading bulk material in 1,000 or 2,000 lb bags (sand/crush and run/etc). Slide the forks through the handles, lift up, take it where it needs to be, cut the bag.

Man, this is making me sound lazy! But those pallet forks are my number 1 SSQA tool. I have a bucket, a bucket with teeth, a grapple and the pallet forks. Pallet forks were the cheapest of all of them, and probably get more than 50% of the overall use of the SSQA. Love them! Got mine from EA, it's a very simple device, so I'm sure they are all pretty good, but I'm very, very happy with mine. Love to have a hydro adjust for the forks, but that's just getting too lazy even for me!