What have you hit with your mower lately?

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #71  
Yeah, I did that with a push mower when I was about 13. Mowing under boxwood bushes one Saturday morning and poof. Fur blown about 20 ft from mower.
What we call a gopher here is really a gopher tortoise. It’s a shame to hit one now as they are nearly endangered. They dig large deep tunnel homes in our sandy soil and pine stands. Pond turtles and loggerheads make a nice thump and crunchy sound.

Our ‘gophers’ below. Get up to a foot or more shell length:
8367A390-4556-4E93-9567-1A4E51070780.jpeg

Last edited:
   / What have you hit with your mower lately? #72  
You would be surprised what people hit with their normal lawn mowers just mowing their yard.
When I was a kid I hit a waterline for one of the seasonal greenhouses. My father had just left for lunch and when I called him I thought he'd be mad but he came back down, shut the water off and said "I usually replace one every year, just not this early."
Eventually he got them all buried.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #73  
Have hit small rocks, big rocks, huge rocks, old house ruins, stumps, big logs, old steel bed frames, thick rebar, concrete blocks, random pieces of steel, stoves, fencing net. The list goes on and on beyond what I can remember.

Popped a couple shear pins with some of the hardest hits, but I typically just wear them out with all the beating it takes.

Still rocking the original "blades" that came with the mower and didn't even got bent once. :)

View attachment 755797
What brand / model mower is that? I would like to order some of those side skids for a box blade project.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #74  
What brand / model mower is that? I would like to order some of those side skids for a box blade project.
Portuguese manufacturer. Made by a small machine shop. Not available in the US as far as I know.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #75  
Portuguese manufacturer. Made by a small machine shop. Not available in the US as far as I know.
Thanks for the reply.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #76  
I just trashed a blade on my 72" zero turn. Clipped some decorative river rocks... twice.
Not that big of a deal, but I'm very particular about keeping my blades neatly sharpened.
I made a similar mistake several years ago. I was mowing my neighbors lawn (a 96 year old WWII widow). Due to the grass being so tall in some areas I made sure to conduct a “walk about” to check over the property. Thankful I did so, because I found a wad of thick fencing, some “T” posts tossed by a tree, a water spigot bent to the ground which looked like someone had driven over it once or twice. However, despite my best efforts, I didn’t realize that at one time she had used fields stones to surround an old overgrown flower bed that no longer was home to any to anything other than grass.
Almost done mowing, I backed right over those rocks. As soon as I felt the tires hop up over them I smashed the PTO button, but even by then it was too late. It wrecked those blades and sheared the main spindle before stopping my zero turn dead in its tracks.
That was not one of my cheaper life lessons…so I feel and can relate to your pain.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #77  
You would be surprised what people hit with their normal lawn mowers just mowing their yard.
My father-in-law recently ran over the winter portion of his underground dog fence. Since they live on a lake, they have a section that needs to get added in the winter so the dogs don’t chase anyone onto the lake or fall in unexpectedly when the ice is thin.

That excitement took me about two hours and several different tools - a pair of needle nose pliers and two linesman’s, a carpet knife, along with some random flathead screwdrivers and a hook pick. By the time I was done I sure wished that I had brought my lawn mower jack and a floor creeper with me that day.
The extent of his “oops” is unknown considering the fact that he fired it up and went back to mowing even before I made it home to get my grease gun. If you’ve followed along this far and paid attention to that last part you might have picked up on the fact that he’s the kind of guy who doesn’t have any tools, nor a grease gun. Point being, the last time his mower was lubed up was when it went it for service a year or two ago. Seems to still be mowing, so I hope that I got everything out of there. That thin plastic coated wire can melt real quick when it’s getting wound up underneath a mower deck.

/ What have you hit with your mower lately?
Dear god! Hughesnet…oh how I do NOT miss those days.
I've got a few old dishes lying around I can send your way as memorabilia if you like :p

/ What have you hit with your mower lately? #80  
I've got a few old dishes lying around I can send your way as memorabilia if you like :p
Ha! Nah I’m good thanks. The two that I saved for target practice are all that I need.