Forestry mods

/ Forestry mods #21  
Definitly a sweet set up .:thumbsup::drink:

/ Forestry mods #22  
Here is another thing that I think would be good to consider if you have a grapple on a QA FEL that you use on brush or slash. Find a way to lock down your QA levers/handles. I learned the hard way. I like to stack slash and brush in hollows and holes and then crush it down with the grapple with enough pressure to lift the front of the tractor. One time a branch sticking up from the brush pile pushed up a QA lever and released the grapple on that side. A bad thing !! So I made some clamps that go thru two existing holes that were in the FEL arms. They hold the levers securely closed. There are lots of ways to do it like chains and hooks. Things bend pretty easy when one side comes off. You might consider this over kill but it depends on how you use your grapple. To me it is good insurance.

P1170017.JPG

P1170027.JPG

P1170031.JPG

gg

/ Forestry mods
Thanks for the reminder, Gordon. I think you've show those QA FEL lever locks before. I need to figure out something similar for my tractor. I don't think I have the extra holes there, so I'll have to figure out another mount. I haven't knocked the levers yet, but I'm sure it's coming some day.

I also need to add a grill guard on the front. I never had in issue with brush poking holes in the front grill when using the bucket to clear, but it's a different story with the grapple on. I finally mangled up that front screen earlier this fall. Fortunately, the only thing damage was the scree on the front. It didn;t get ot the battery or radiator.

/ Forestry mods #24  
   / Forestry mods
Thanks for the reminder, Gordon. I think you've shown those QA FEL lever locks before. I need to figure out something similar for my tractor. I don't think I have the extra holes there, so I'll have to figure out another mount. I haven't knocked the levers yet, but I'm sure it's coming some day.

I also need to add a grill guard on the front. I never had in issue with brush poking holes in the front grill when using the bucket to clear, but it's a different story with the grapple on. I finally mangled up that front screen earlier this fall. Fortunately, the only thing damage was the screen on the front. It didn't get to the battery or radiator.

Last edited:
   / Forestry mods #27  
I built a skid pan from front to back with side guarding for the filters and hyd loader valve. There's a bumper/chain storage/grill guard in there along with some "sweeps" or limb risers going to a heavy steel roof. Most of these pics have been on TBN or even this thread, but it's been over 5 years. Im showing them in no particular order other than what they show up in my "file upload manager" on tbn, I have 20 pages to go through so yes, it's kinda random as these were separate builds over a few years.

The first few that showed up are the grill guard. It supports the front of the sweeps and has a "bumper" that's made of a 4x6 tube that's my chain and ball peen hammer storage.
The next was part of the skid plate project. I had the opportunity to build a nice sized box for saws & fuel/oil and whatever as part of the framework that supports the actual pan.
I'll keep working on posting a few more mods that I did and are handy in the woods.

Attachments

• DSCN3815 2.JPG
    DSCN3815 2.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCN7632.JPG
    DSCN7632.JPG
    315.8 KB · Views: 223
   / Forestry mods #29  
Y a feller buncher on a loader and not on a excavater , seems a lot less versatile. Anyone see the ax men with the feller buncher tetethered to another excavater with a winch for steep grades ? Now that guy has a brass set .:D:drink:

/ Forestry mods #30  
A short while ago there was a thread on Igland Self Release Snatch Blocks and Agvg, our friend from Norway, Posted some pictures of his Snatch Block. This was among them

AgvgSnatchBlk1.jpg

Wow - that makes an easy hook-up ! So I added a Pinocchio nose to the shackle I use on my Snatch Block. I have used it a couple times this week and it definitely makes life much easier. The Snatch Block weighs 12 lbs so being able to set the strap on the tree how you want it and then simply hook on the snatch block w/o opening the shackle makes it so easy especially in the snow. I have a 4, a 6, and a 8 foot strap andd use the one that works best. Thank you Agvg for posting that picture.

SnatchBlk3.JPG

SnatchBlk4.JPG

gg