What implement for creating furrows?

/ What implement for creating furrows? #1  

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I've got a potential job to till up a 3/4 acre field. That's easy enough. Hit it with the subsoiler (or scarfiers on the box blade, land plane or possibly my new T3 arena rake) then go at it with the tiller. Done it a number of times for my own pasture/field as well as putting in some horse arenas for others even in the hard Colorado ground. As long as the nearly worn out tiller tines don't finally fail that's easy enough.

The problem is they also need some furrows created for the lavender they want to plant. Hills 1-2' wide, 4-5" deep & spaced 3-6' apart. I've been perusing Craigslist for anything 3 point & seen a few things vaguely close, but are to big for my machine and/or are more likely to be a cultivator that won't bed things up as much as desired. I don't have the time or energy to build anything custom for the job. I haven't ever had anybody request furrows in the 7 odd years I've been doing tractor stuff, so this is likely to be close to a 1 use implement. 40hp pushing 6k lbs Kubota L4060, so probably need something more than a cat 0 or lawn tractor solution as those that would get pretzeled quick even in tilled ground.

Thoughts:
  • A bedder like https://www.palletforks.com/tractor...-1-3-point-quick-hitch-compatible/191363.html is probably what I'm looking for, although that one is about 12" smaller than my track. At $700 or whatever with shipping, that probably exceeds my budget for a one time use tool or what the client would pay if I had to pass most of the cost onto them. Not sure anybody around would have one to rent, although I'll look.
  • I've got a good 3pt back blade, but I don't think that's too likely to get the desired results. Anybody done anything like this with a back blade tilted & angled heavily? If so I could always just bid the furrowing separately & not charge him for that part if I can't make the back blade work
  • A middle buster or potato plow would be cheap, but not sure if it would get quite what they are looking for
  • Would a 3pt 2 or 3 bottom plow be likely to work? I can probably find one around cheap enough to make the job worth it
  • I've seem some ditchers around, but none close & not sure if they are going to be to big for my machine or give reasonable results for the desired usage.

/ What implement for creating furrows? #2  
I've got a potential job to till up a 3/4 acre field. That's easy enough. Hit it with the subsoiler (or scarfiers on the box blade, land plane or possibly my new T3 arena rake) then go at it with the tiller. Done it a number of times for my own pasture/field as well as putting in some horse arenas for others even in the hard Colorado ground. As long as the nearly worn out tiller tines don't finally fail that's easy enough.

The problem is they also need some furrows created for the lavender they want to plant. Hills 1-2' wide, 4-5" deep & spaced 3-6' apart. I've been perusing Craigslist for anything 3 point & seen a few things vaguely close, but are to big for my machine and/or are more likely to be a cultivator that won't bed things up as much as desired. I don't have the time or energy to build anything custom for the job. I haven't ever had anybody request furrows in the 7 odd years I've been doing tractor stuff, so this is likely to be close to a 1 use implement. 40hp pushing 6k lbs Kubota L4060, so probably need something more than a cat 0 or lawn tractor solution as those that would get pretzeled quick even in tilled ground.

Thoughts:
  • A bedder like https://www.palletforks.com/tractor...-1-3-point-quick-hitch-compatible/191363.html is probably what I'm looking for, although that one is about 12" smaller than my track. At $700 or whatever with shipping, that probably exceeds my budget for a one time use tool or what the client would pay if I had to pass most of the cost onto them. Not sure anybody around would have one to rent, although I'll look.
  • I've got a good 3pt back blade, but I don't think that's too likely to get the desired results. Anybody done anything like this with a back blade tilted & angled heavily? If so I could always just bid the furrowing separately & not charge him for that part if I can't make the back blade work
  • A middle buster or potato plow would be cheap, but not sure if it would get quite what they are looking for
  • Would a 3pt 2 or 3 bottom plow be likely to work? I can probably find one around cheap enough to make the job worth it
  • I've seem some ditchers around, but none close & not sure if they are going to be to big for my machine or give reasonable results for the desired usage.
I think the middle buster is the best option.

/ What implement for creating furrows? #3  
They also need furrows created for the lavender they want to plant. Hills 1-2' wide, 4-5" deep & spaced 3-6' apart.

Two comparable choices:

Item No. 191363

60" ADJUSTABLE DISC BEDDER, CATEGORY 1, 3 POINT QUICK HITCH COMPATIBLE​

https://www.(Temporarily blocked du...edder-59-GB60-p/ea-garden-bedder-gb60-eco.htm

Last edited:
   / What implement for creating furrows? #4  
Her you will find some hillers and ridgers designed for two wheel tractors. However, they also sell (same page) a cat 1 adapter.

Or maybe this one:

/ What implement for creating furrows? #7  
Based on my attachments and experience, I try a 12 inch single moldboard plow.

Cheers
Mike

/ What implement for creating furrows? #8  
Furrows or hills?

Either way, do you have a 3PH disc? A 6 or 7' disc. We do it all the time in the garden for sweet potato hills....and I actually use the same method filling in the dead furrow when plowing the field.

Set the rear gang as aggressive as you can. Lengthen the toplink all the way to let the rear gang dig in and keep the front gang out of the dirt.

The rear gangs all pull dirt toward the middle of the disc....the front ones throw dirt outward. With a level disc you get a level field. With the front gangs kept out of the dirt and the rear ones pulling dirt in, you get hills/rows.

/ What implement for creating furrows? #9  
Should have lots of choices in market garden equipment.

/ What implement for creating furrows? #10  
For a 3,000 square foot garden, you should be able to do that with a shovel. :rolleyes: