What to look for in a used 2-bottom plow?

/ What to look for in a used 2-bottom plow? #1  

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
I am looking at 2-bottom plows for preparing some new ground. I've tried many methods, but trying to get through years of old CRP is a chore, so it seems flipping it may be the easiest method. I assume a two-bottom is plenty for an MX5200, and I don't know if the plow size make a huge difference or not. Most people don't even state it on the ad. It won't see a ton of use so I can't justify anything new here.

What is good price range? Are there any issues I should be looking at to see if it is broken or may soon need something replaced? I assume parts aren't that easy to come by on these older units, but may be wrong given some of the brands are still around.

/ What to look for in a used 2-bottom plow? #2  
I am not sure what you mean by CRP? As for a plow prices around here for two bottom plows average around $450. If you just need to turn the ground to level it up then a 12" will be plenty big enough and a little easier to pull if you can find one, 14" is the more popular size here. The most common part to replace is the share and they can be generally be had for most all the old "name brand" plows.

If you are going to be working ground with lots of roots (no rock) you should consider a disc plow. They are heavy, pull better than a mold board IMHO and are good at cutting and turning soil with root debris (within reason).

/ What to look for in a used 2-bottom plow? #4  
I thought it was Can't Remember Pooh, thought he was being nice about it.

/ What to look for in a used 2-bottom plow? #5  
I love two bottom plows. One saved my life one time. I had this old junkified 8N that you couldn't even look at without a pair of pliers and a screwdriver in your pocket. I walked by it one day and thought to just bump the starter to see if battery was hot enough to even try to use it. Touched the button barely, and she busted right off, in gear, me standing beside it. Luckily it had a two bottom break plow and that dug in and choked it down right then. I was lucky.

/ What to look for in a used 2-bottom plow? #6  
I am not sure what you mean by CRP? As for a plow prices around here for two bottom plows average around $450. If you just need to turn the ground to level it up then a 12" will be plenty big enough and a little easier to pull if you can find one, 14" is the more popular size here. The most common part to replace is the share and they can be generally be had for most all the old "name brand" plows.

If you are going to be working ground with lots of roots (no rock) you should consider a disc plow. They are heavy, pull better than a mold board IMHO and are good at cutting and turning soil with root debris (within reason).
Yes.. this is what I would choose..
Around my area they can found on fb marketplace for 300-700 bucks..
Just make sure bearings and disc are in good shape. Like the ones pictured below..

Attachments

• 6833351_8.jpg
    6833351_8.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 78
   / What to look for in a used 2-bottom plow?
My ground seems to have a ton of rock (softball-soccer ball sized) from all the areas I've turned already. Does that make a difference between disc vs. moldboard?

/ What to look for in a used 2-bottom plow? #9  
With that amount and size of rock stick with a moldboard plow.. those disc are nice to use on new ground being rolled over but they aren't going to like that size rock very well.

/ What to look for in a used 2-bottom plow? #10  
Around here a two bottom break plow, the most is 250. A double disc break plow is 350. But, if you go walking speed when plowing, a flat breaker should do fine. Speed is your enemy. My dad and brother both have the speed gene. Ive seen them snap plows in two, so quick they didn't even bend. Which makes it easier to weld back together. But still, they could just slow down. My brother had an 8' seed roller. Came riding by, roller had a tongue and he had it tied behind a 7' disc. Roller was bouncing 3' high off the gravel road. I told him to slow it down. He said it wasn't hurting anything. Took back off fast, snapped 4" of solid axle right in two. I learned right there that when someone already knows everything, you can't tell them anything.