Which truck would you get?

/ Which truck would you get?
Would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of braking with loaded/unloaded 1/2 ton gasser vs 3/4 ton diesel. See if truck weight had much affect

/ Which truck would you get? #92  
Would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of braking with loaded/unloaded 1/2 ton gasser vs 3/4 ton diesel. See if truck weight had much affect
Wouldn't be much of a comparison if you know anything about towing 3/4 ton hands down all day.

/ Which truck would you get? #93  
Wouldn't be much of a comparison if you know anything about towing 3/4 ton hands down all day.

I wouldn't put money on that. After repeated stops, probably. But a single stop, from a certain speed, with the same exact load behind, and the brake controller set up properly, I'm not so sure that the 3/4 ton stops faster. "Hands down all day," definitely not.

Now, stability? Depends on the weight of the trailer, but with proper brakes, the trailer should follow right behind the tow vehicle.

/ Which truck would you get? #94  

The new F-150's Super crew 4x4 will out stop a 01 Ford Lightning. They have a heck of a set of brakes. They are pretty much 3/4 ton brakes on a 1/2 ton. If you look at car and drivers website you could find the 60-0mph braking test on a 1/2 ton and 3/4 or 1 ton probably.

/ Which truck would you get? #95  
Generally a "3/4 ton" has heavier springs, shocks, sway-bars, E-rated tires et-al that would hande the weight transfer of braking better than a "1/2 ton". The net affect of that and the actual braking ability would go to a "3/4 ton".

I would agree tha latest "1/2 ton" are much better than old, and closer to the "3/4 ton". But even the "3/4 ton" are better than those of days past.

I wouldn't put money on that. After repeated stops, probably. But a single stop, from a certain speed, with the same exact load behind, and the brake controller set up properly, I'm not so sure that the 3/4 ton stops faster. "Hands down all day," definitely not.

Now, stability? Depends on the weight of the trailer, but with proper brakes, the trailer should follow right behind the tow vehicle.

/ Which truck would you get? #96  
The new 3/4 and 1 ton Fords have pretty much the same towing and hauling capacities.

/ Which truck would you get? #97  

No way. My Titan will flat out stop both my previous Ford and Dodge 3/4 ton and my current F350 and past GM 3500 pulling a 9,500# load. It gives up about 2,000# of weight but has comparable brakes or better. My fathers new Eco Boost is even better yet.

FORGET eveything you know about 1/2 ton trucks till you drive a new one.

Chris

The weight of the two vehicle was what I was thinking about. A truck weighing 2,000 less than another does not NEED as much brakes. It's all about stopping inertia, and more weight means more inertia. So a 3/4t 4x4 diesel pulling 6,000lbs for combined weight of say 14,000, against a 1/2t 4x4 weighing 5,000 pulling 6,000lbs combined weight 11,000. It will take more brake power for the 3/4t to just be even, much less out stop the lighter truck. While tires will definately make a difference in towing, and their longevity, not sure if there's enough difference in truck tire to make a true difference in stopping power. Plujs who's to say they could not have the same model tire on both trucks?

I think there would be winners and losers on both sides. There are a lot of variables. Spring strength isn't the only thing of importance to consider, as shock dampening on a sudden maneuver can cause you to either maintain or lose control. On a panic stop, the shocks take up a HUGE role in maintaining control and stopping distance.

No way. My Titan will flat out stop both my previous Ford and Dodge 3/4 ton and my current F350 and past GM 3500 pulling a 9,500# load. It gives up about 2,000# of weight but has comparable brakes or better. My fathers new Eco Boost is even better yet.

FORGET eveything you know about 1/2 ton trucks till you drive a new one.

Chris

Chris
What is your fathers general mileage when towing decent weight, say, 6,000 or above, with the Eco Boost? If you know.

/ Which truck would you get? #100  
Chris
What is your fathers general mileage when towing decent weight, say, 6,000 or above, with the Eco Boost? If you know.

And does he use premium when towing? I know it's not required, but Ford does recommend if towing heavy.