Which truck would you get?

/ Which truck would you get? #81  
Good luck working on the CFO...that's the toughest job of all! :)

Best of luck on whatever you decide. Take it easy and stay safe out there!

/ Which truck would you get? #82  
Well been chattin the CFO and she's givving me the evil eye about another truck, for now :laughing:, will have to see. I also contacted the guy on Tundra Solutions about the header upgrade. I really hate the idea of trying to sell my truck then being without, then looking for another, so I guess I will stay with this one for now.

I do appreciate all the honest opinions given here. That was what I needed to hear.

As for the brakes, there is sooooo little aftermarket support for this truck it's not funny. That's why I did the Dodge flip up tow mirrors on mine. The ones offered to fit over Tundra mirrors are an absolute joke. I love mine now. Full power in both positions and heated as well. The fold flat against the door just like factory ones, and as I found out the other day, they fold forward some without damage, thankfully.

What kind of headers are you talking about, shorties, or longtubes? If they are shorties keep your money. I would get a tow tune for the truck.

/ Which truck would you get? #83  
What kind of headers are you talking about, shorties, or longtubes? If they are shorties keep your money. I would get a tow tune for the truck.

Tuners don't really work well on newer Toyota vehicles... And you are right about the shorties, only the long tubes make a difference. I think his only two options are Pacesetters and JBA.

/ Which truck would you get?
Tuners don't really work well on newer Toyota vehicles... And you are right about the shorties, only the long tubes make a difference. I think his only two options are Pacesetters and JBA.

The headers I am looking into are long tube versions. Those and swapping belt drive fan to elec, and dual exhaust, one one tester showed a real 34 hp and 34ft lb torque increase at the rear wheels. He had before and after dyno sheet to prove it. Also got a 3-4 mpg increase. Pretty sweet deal.

/ Which truck would you get? #85  
I doubt there will be any noticeable MPG increase.

/ Which truck would you get? #86  
I went from 4.6 Ford with hd springs to a Dodge with 5.7 and standard suspension. They are both 1/2 ton trucks. I pull a 6000lb trailer. The new setup is night and day better. I think the right 1/2 ton gasser will work fine for you, but It needs plenty of motor and brakes as well as the right rear end.

/ Which truck would you get? #87  
Don't forget, upgrading the power will do nothing for the brakes, which was another concern of yours (and would be mine as well). I may have missed it, but what type of brake controller do you have? If you don't have a Tekonsha Prodigy, get one! I had one in my prior two trucks (before I got one with the integrated brake controller) and it is awesome! It also has a boost feature which forces the trailer brakes to come on before it senses an inertia change. I love it except for city driving, which I rarely did. When towing, the correct (and properly adjusted) brake controller will make all the difference in the world.

/ Which truck would you get? #88  
One thought I would add to this. I have had to panic/evasive stop with my old tractor on a trailer behind my 3/4 ton. Little Civic cut me off bad on the highway. I was only pulling about 5500lbs that day. It was a hand full even with the light load and the 3/4 ton diesel.

My 5th wheel is a little shorter, but a couple thousand pounds heavier than the OP's. I would not want to try a panic/evasive stop with 1/2 ton irregardless of the new ones having bigger brakes etc. Nor would I want to get in to high cross winds.

/ Which truck would you get?
Yea if I so end up swapping trucks, it will be a 3/4T no matter what engine. I seriously considered a new 3/4 ton when I was looking for my replacement '06, but I wanted a particular engine (6.0L with the auto shut down of 4 cyl on hwy) but it wasn't offered. And if I remember correctly, the trannies were less sofisticated a well.

I guess the factories have wisened up a little over the years.

As for panic stopping with my rig, it's more like stopping faster. I really have to stand on the brakes in a situation like that.

/ Which truck would you get? #90  
I was on H-50 in Sacramento when that Civic cut me off. Glad I was on a straightaway and not curves. Antilocks on the truck were anti-locking. That is about the only time I was glad to be going the Calif 55mph towing limit to begin with...

Been cut off a couple times on H-101 up near Petaluma on the way to Bodega Bay with the 5th wheel, but nothing like the incident on H-50.

As for panic stopping with my rig, it's more like stopping faster. I really have to stand on the brakes in a situation like that.