Which truck would you get?

/ Which truck would you get? #71  
Yea I have tried that, but the only way to get the max from them is manual adjustment. For those that wondered, the '06 Tundra has drum rear brakes.

I have take apart my rear brakes and made sure everything is nice and free. I also bought a brake hardware kit. There's a steel arm that's inside an aluminum housing with a rubber boot around it that the parking brake cable attaches to. That was corroded so I removed it, disassembled it, and when I reassembled it I filled inside the boot with anti-seize. So everything works great now. My rear brakes will adjust but I have to do the "put it in reverse, parking brake half way applied, and pump the brake" trick.

I don't know if all of the Tundra got them but at least some 07 Tundras got rear disk brakes. Before that the rear brakes are drum and are not all that great of a design. Their older drum brakes were a better set up, not great but better.

/ Which truck would you get? #72  
I don't think it would matter, at least with the Toyota's. The last I knew they use a brake drum for the parking brake and disk is only used with the brake pedal. So the brake shoes being out of adjustment would only effect the parking brake. Some other brands used the disc brake caliper as both parking and rear brakes. Not sure how that would work but there must be some way to either adjust the parking brake as the pads wear or the parking brake must be hydraulic.

Though I have never personally worked on this system, it is my understanding that parking brakes that use the the caliper have some sort of ratcheting mechanism on a mechanical arm. I have been told the when you change pads, you have to turn this mechanism back in to accommodate the thicker pads. Again, I don't know it personally so I can't really describe it, but as far as I know automakers are not allowed to use hydraulics for the parking brake, as it is still considered an "emergency" brake in case of hydraulic failure.

/ Which truck would you get? #73  
One more option you can consider, if you want to stay with your current truck... is upgrading the truck itself. I don't know if you are a member of TundraSolutions.com forum, but there is a member (EscondidoTundra) that does custom exhaust work, including LongTube headers and a full exhaust (with his custom BAmufflers) that really adds some power to the truck. He can "custom dial" in what kind of power you want, like high-end HP or low-end Torque. His work is Dyno backed too. He can probably realistically get you another 30-40 rear-wheel HP (which is a 15% gain approx). Probably cost ya around $1k.

Just another option in case you want to keep your truck...

/ Which truck would you get?
I have take apart my rear brakes and made sure everything is nice and free. I also bought a brake hardware kit. There's a steel arm that's inside an aluminum housing with a rubber boot around it that the parking brake cable attaches to. That was corroded so I removed it, disassembled it, and when I reassembled it I filled inside the boot with anti-seize. So everything works great now. My rear brakes will adjust but I have to do the "put it in reverse, parking brake half way applied, and pump the brake" trick.

I don't know if all of the Tundra got them but at least some 07 Tundras got rear disk brakes. Before that the rear brakes are drum and are not all that great of a design. Their older drum brakes were a better set up, not great but better.

Yea there's some folks over at tundrasolutions that have adapted the read disk from the same year Sequoia to the Tundra. One has to ask why on earth they would use the disk on an SUV and not the truck. Could have at least offered it as an option.

/ Which truck would you get? #75  
In most cases the rear drum brakes will outlast a set of rear disk.

/ Which truck would you get? #76  
I will not touch another set of drum brakes. I have even converted 2 of my 3 trailers to disc.

Chris

One more option you can consider, if you want to stay with your current truck... is upgrading the truck itself. I don't know if you are a member of TundraSolutions.com forum, but there is a member (EscondidoTundra) that does custom exhaust work, including LongTube headers and a full exhaust (with his custom BAmufflers) that really adds some power to the truck. He can "custom dial" in what kind of power you want, like high-end HP or low-end Torque. His work is Dyno backed too. He can probably realistically get you another 30-40 rear-wheel HP (which is a 15% gain approx). Probably cost ya around $1k.

Just another option in case you want to keep your truck...

TSO
Yes I am a member of TS, that's where I got the idea to adapt the Dodge flip up towing mirrors to my Tundra. been running those for little over 2 years now. Love em. I will have to look him up and see what he offers. My first upgrade, if I keep it, will be to the brakes, for sure. There is a Big Brake Kit, offered from TRD, I THINK, for the Tundra, but at $1800 that's an expensive upgrade. An that's only for the front. Still need to address the rear, like with a Sequoia swap. That and the exhaust upgrade woould end up being in the $3-4K range. Lots of money to a retired guy.

In most cases the rear drum brakes will outlast a set of rear disk.

Which to me means one of two things. Either they are not applying the braking pressure they need to be or the linings are thicker on the shoes vs pads. I know my '06 GMC 1500 had drum rears, but it had ZERO stopping problems. I never did tow anything with it though.

/ Which truck would you get? #79  
TSO
Yes I am a member of TS, that's where I got the idea to adapt the Dodge flip up towing mirrors to my Tundra. been running those for little over 2 years now. Love em. I will have to look him up and see what he offers. My first upgrade, if I keep it, will be to the brakes, for sure. There is a Big Brake Kit, offered from TRD, I THINK, for the Tundra, but at $1800 that's an expensive upgrade. An that's only for the front. Still need to address the rear, like with a Sequoia swap. That and the exhaust upgrade woould end up being in the $3-4K range. Lots of money to a retired guy.

I would skip the BB kit... Overpriced. Surely there are some reasonable aftermarket kits available. I think, for your use, a used 07-08 Tundra 5.7 will be more than enough. But, unfortunately... I think you'll have a difficult time getting that much $$$ for your truck, and you might need to bring that extra $3-4k with you on your purchase anyhow.

Well been chattin the CFO and she's givving me the evil eye about another truck, for now :laughing:, will have to see. I also contacted the guy on Tundra Solutions about the header upgrade. I really hate the idea of trying to sell my truck then being without, then looking for another, so I guess I will stay with this one for now.

I do appreciate all the honest opinions given here. That was what I needed to hear.

As for the brakes, there is sooooo little aftermarket support for this truck it's not funny. That's why I did the Dodge flip up tow mirrors on mine. The ones offered to fit over Tundra mirrors are an absolute joke. I love mine now. Full power in both positions and heated as well. The fold flat against the door just like factory ones, and as I found out the other day, they fold forward some without damage, thankfully.