Why I do not garden

/ Why I do not garden #31  
Just the thought of seeing, much less eating, 350 qts of cabbage would make me till up the garden and install concrete…….

/ Why I do not garden #33  
My wife loves gardening so all I have to do is help with the more physical parts. This year we prepared an area I leveled last year and it was super productive. Peppers and especially tomatoes are so much better from the garden than even the farmer's market let alone the grocery store. So I encourage her to grow plenty of those. She also does most of the processing and canning. Even canned they're much better than the premium stuff from the store. She harvested the last of the tomatoes a few weeks ago and some are ripening on the counter. Not as good as during the season but still better than store bought.

If she wasn't around I probably would not garden. I'm happy to help but I'm just not that into it myself.

/ Why I do not garden #34  
You have exceptional grand kids. Most get bored picking fruit at a fruit farm after about an hour.

Now...Have them do the work of preparing the soil, planting, weeding, harvesting and canning enough to put up 200 cans and see those smiles fade.

BTW One of my fondest memories was harvesting potatoes. If was like an Easter egg hunt in the dirt.
Shooterdon, I imagine they would get bored at some point - and we don't expect them to work here and I doubt I would enjoy putting up 200 cans of anything. We don't need that - we enjoy what we do to the extent we do it, and prefer it to TV or sitting - a nice hobby with rewards. Our enjoyment comes from planning, maintaining and harvesting a garden for ourselves - we don't can but do make jams enough for a year and to give to friends. Froze a lot of fruit - great smoothies later. We also give excess produce to others. As for the grandkids, they live about six hours away and when they visit we enjoy seeing the our city-granddaughters enjoy the farm, which includes picking fruit and vegetables. If it ever became 'work' for us we would simply cut back or stop doing it.

I'll tell what I did not enjoy - I once got it in my head that a pomegranate martini would be a good thing to try. We juiced a lot of pomegranates, made a major mess, got less juice than we thought, and then didn't care for the martinis. But we have a nice story.

Last edited:
   / Why I do not garden #35  
Just a perspective.

We only "canned" a couple batches of dill pickles, and spicy green been pickles.

The strawberries and blue berries are frozen, about 100 pounds of peaches are frozen many bags of the same fruit dehydrated, tomatoes are frozen, asparagus is frozen.

The freezer is full! ;-)

Last edited:
   / Why I do not garden #36  
My garden was about 17x30. We didn't can anything, we didn't aim to give us food for the whole year long. It was small enough to be easy to manage. We froze some things, but for the most part what we had in excess we shared with friends and family. We enjoyed fresh food while it was in season. We still have a little broccoli and some tomato sauce I think.

Last edited:
   / Why I do not garden #37  
OH! And if you enjoy garlic like I enjoy garlic. At $2.50 a bulb, the garden returned about $200 BUCKS worth ! ;-)

All I ask is a years worth for cooking and enough to replant. The planting is done (fall plant for garlic) I'm excited to see what comes up in spring. I've put in 80 cloves this year.

/ Why I do not garden #38  
What store had this cheap veggy sale ? Haven't seen 5 for a dollar in 15 years.

/ Why I do not garden
What store had this cheap veggy sale ? Haven't seen 5 for a dollar in 15 years.

Freddie's Market in Atlanta MI. Sale price was $.25/can with no limits. We purchased $1000 of gift cards for $800 during a promotion so we netted another 20% off. Just bought 20 lbs of fresh chicken leg quarters for $10 (our cost $8). They had Ball Park franks for $1/pack (our cost $.80). Gala apples were $.49/lb.

We do a lot of shopping there as they have some great sales. Some of the stuff is near the expiry date. Those Ball parks had an expiry date within 5 days but we freeze them so it does not matter. Plus, we know expiry dates are not carved in stone.

BTW, our local gas station/convenience store buys stuff at Freddie's and resells it.

Here is the link:

Last edited:
   / Why I do not garden #40  
Just the thought of seeing, much less eating, 350 qts of cabbage would make me till up the garden and install concrete…….
Was thinking the same thing. Didn't even know you could can cabbage (other than as sauerkraut). I've found that it generally keeps until Feb. in our cellar (unheated, dirt floor) anyway. Not sure what I'd use canned cabbage in...we mostly use it for coleslaw or in salads. I'll put some in stews or when I do a corned beef, but I'm the only one who'll eat it that way.
My wife loves gardening so all I have to do is help with the more physical parts. This year we prepared an area I leveled last year and it was super productive. Peppers and especially tomatoes are so much better from the garden than even the farmer's market let alone the grocery store. So I encourage her to grow plenty of those. She also does most of the processing and canning. Even canned they're much better than the premium stuff from the store. She harvested the last of the tomatoes a few weeks ago and some are ripening on the counter. Not as good as during the season but still better than store bought.

If she wasn't around I probably would not garden. I'm happy to help but I'm just not that into it myself.
Just the opposite here, while she enjoys the harvest my wife isn't much into the gardening or preserving. That's OK, I don't mind doing either one. She does do a very good job with multiple flower gardens!
She does nag each year "can't understand why I don't put in more carrots". Actually I do, but they're very slow to germinate and unless I stay on top of it they get choked out by weeds. Also, the germination rate seems to be quite low.
OH! And if you enjoy garlic like I enjoy garlic. At $2.50 a bulb, the garden returned about $200 BUCKS worth ! ;-)
How do you get garlic to grow in Vt? I thought it needed a much longer growing season than we have in New England. Greenhouse?
I have enough trouble with peppers...just doesn't get warm enough here. If we get any at all, it's not until mid-Sept. assuming we haven't had frost before then.