Why is Weight The Only Solution Being Offered To The Problem Of Traction?

/ Why is Weight The Only Solution Being Offered To The Problem Of Traction? #71  
Harry Ferguson addressed the traction with reduced weight issue a long time ago.

/ Why is Weight The Only Solution Being Offered To The Problem Of Traction? #72  
Give me tall narrow tires in snow every time. In soft dirt, not so much.
Also, the taller tire has less rolling resistance. That's partly why the early Volkswagen cars in 194x something had those tall narrow tires.
It may also relate to "bridging" potholes or other road imperfection.
I don't know if that thought transferred to the Ford 2Ns, 8Ns and 9Ns.
I like the analogy of either a pencil or a coffee can on carpet. Pretty easy to see the difference in rolling resistance.

/ Why is Weight The Only Solution Being Offered To The Problem Of Traction? #73  
If you look at some of the videos of the farm tractors you'll notice that quite a few of them have dual tires on the rear some have dual tires on the rear and on the front if you look out west at the big farm tractors they have triples front and rear and that is for traction in the dirt

/ Why is Weight The Only Solution Being Offered To The Problem Of Traction? #74  
Buy Ag. tires, Liquid Filled and if needed weight box. Don't over complicate.

/ Why is Weight The Only Solution Being Offered To The Problem Of Traction? #75  
It's A case of what you are doing, most tyres have a maximum tyre inflation pressure, the tractor has a tyre plaque on it or in the manual for tyre size and max pressure most suited to the machine. often lowering the tyre pressure to it's minimum working pressure or some where in between can make all the difference with traction issues and ground damage, this is often overlooked as most tyres are kept inflated to near or on the max allowable tyre pressures.
lower tyre pressures might reduce stability on hard or hilly ground but that is the trade off, tyre pressures should be adjusted to seasonal changes and ground conditions in your local area for best and safest operation, adding weight has a similar effect by forcing a bigger contact area with the ground also effecting stability and increasing ground damage, added weight can be a double edged sword, diff locks are a wonderful invention, knowing how and when to use the split breaks also helps in gaining traction, snow and ice are another kettle of fish I am glad I don't have to contend with.

/ Why is Weight The Only Solution Being Offered To The Problem Of Traction? #76  
Friction is defined as the resistance to motion of two surfaces - friction force (motion), and normal force (weight) (Newton's third law applies). μ = F/N where F is the frictional force and N is the normal force, and μ is the coefficient. The contact area of F/N can be increased by the deflation of tires and the height of tire lugs. μ is dependent on surface type and condition. So one can conclude that by just adding more weight makes the tires bulge and sink into the ground, tearing up and compacting the soil. In contrast consider the grousers F on a bulldozer track shoe - modest ground penetration compared to N. μ is multiplied by the number of shoes in contact with the ground. It's all well and good until you turn.

/ Why is Weight The Only Solution Being Offered To The Problem Of Traction? #77  
Buy Ag. tires, Liquid Filled and if needed weight box. Don't over complicate.
Understand that ASABE engineers jump through all sorts of mathematical hoops just so some people can over-simplify.

/ Why is Weight The Only Solution Being Offered To The Problem Of Traction? #78  
Why are NFL linebackers not 90lbs?

Its the Laws of Physics, not the theory of Physics.

If you want to move 10tons, Its a lot easier if you have that much mass or more built in to the equipment doing the moving. Proper machine size and ballasting works wonders.

Being very heavy but with enough ground contact surface area for floatation gives best of both worlds.

If just trying to get max traction without worrying about compaction, being heavy as practical on the smallest surface area will be your best bet.

Also added mass lets you maintain momentum easier while pushing or pulling. Adding small amounts of energy to maintain motion, after the static friction has been broken, because the mass helps conserve the motion.

Learn about how ballast and weight balance works, then you will finally get the most out of the physical limitations of your “trac(tion) (mo)tor”

/ Why is Weight The Only Solution Being Offered To The Problem Of Traction? #79  
People use R1 Radial tires, here in Europe, to get more traction amongst several other benefits, because they are wider, not because they are taller and skinnier.

Radials on the left, Bias ply on the right.

View attachment 732191 View attachment 732192

I know that you've answered this before but will radials fit on the same rim as bias? If not, it seems like tire construction isn't the only difference.
Somehow this discussion has turned into rocket science now 👨‍🔬
And here I am, asking dumb questions about rim width. :confused:

/ Why is Weight The Only Solution Being Offered To The Problem Of Traction? #80  
I know that you've answered this before but will radials fit on the same rim as bias? If not, it seems like tire construction isn't the only difference.
The radials being wider, will need a wider rim at least for the front, but that's about it. Just like R4's, I believe? Never really dug into those tires much. It's also common to have front adjustable rims with Radials, just like the rears, while with Bias, only the rear rims are adjustable.

Last edited: