Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers?

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #31  
ljjhouser has it right on the weight distribution bar. If you can get one that will attach to the trailer, preferably with a sway bar, and it's set up right they make a major difference.
I don't use one on my equipment trailer but the wheels ain't that far back, and I can always get the weight so it's not too front heavy but you do want it a little front heavy. These trailers are designed to have more weight on the front rather then on the back. If you get too much weight behind the trailer wheels, the tounge can lift up on the back of your truck causing you to loose traction on the back wheels which causes fish tailing.
My camper is VERY front heavy. I haul it using my ram 1500 laremie. Without the weight distribution bar I would never attempt it, but with the bar you hardly know it's there. The weight distribution bar causes the hitch to put the weight on all 4 of your trucks wheels, rather then just the back. If you can get one to hook to your trailer I highly recommend getting one, with a sway bar. Kurt makes really good ones.
I disagree with anyone that says a 1/2 ton truck cant handle a 22' hauler. I have a 22' trailer that I've hauled a ford 4500 backhoe on. The 4500 weighs over 10,000 lbs. I wouldn't do it often with that much weight but I have done it. Took it slow and hauled it about 25 miles to my house. I often use my trailer for hauling normal size tractors. A month ago I hauled an N model and a to-30 on it together with no problem at all. Set up right a 1/2 ton will do fine. I do recommend upgrading your brakes to drilled and slotted rotors so they dont over heat, make sure the trailer brakes work and release propery, and get a weight distribution bar.
1709558600515.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #32  
I agree you need to start using a weight distributing hitch. They shift some of the tongue weight to the front axle of the tow vehicle to help level the load.

If you buy a new trailer the dealer should set it up for you to ensure it is road safe for the loads you intend to pull.. Make sure you ask to have this done.

A properly set up tow vehicle will be level when it is loaded. The ball height should match the height of the trailer when the empty trailer is level. The weight distributing hitch is then used to bring the loaded trailer and tow vehicle back to level.

A 1/2 ton truck should be more than adequate to tow the load you are proposing. The primary need to upgrade to a more heavily rated tow vehicle is to ensure there is adequate braking for the load and that the suspension can handle the designed load. It is easy to check the manufacturer's trailer towing capacities on-line and you should do so if you are concerned.

You should try to load two thirds of the load weight on the hitch or you will experience great difficulty in controlling the vehicle due to low weight on the rear axle. In essence the tail will be wagging the dog.

Last edited:
   / Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #33  
I never really looked at car haulers, but that looks like a problem for my type of towing. All of the equipment trailers I have looked at had the axles more centered.
Is it possible that aluminum trailers are so light that they need more tongue weight when unloaded?

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #34  
Towing ratings keep climbing but GVWR of the tow vehicles hasnt

Tounge weight is your friend but most people run out of truck long before tow rating.

A weight distribution hitch is just a bandaid over a bigger problem. Too small of a truck

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #35  
A weight distribution hitch is just a bandaid over a bigger problem. Too small of a truck
I respectfully disagree. Weight distributing hitches are widely used in the RV market and make it possible to tow a trailer that is well within the total tow weight rating of the tow vehicle but is front heavy making the total hitch weight too high.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #36  
I'm in the market for a 22' car hauler for my Kubota. What I've been noticing is that most of the trailer length is in front of the axles, putting a lot of weight on the hitch. What am I missing here? My last 22' trailer had the same problem and I recently sold it. I was constantly being flashed at night for high pointing headlights. Any manufacturers that put their axles a little more towards the front?
Sorry if I missed this in all the responses, but what is your tow vehicle? That's probably more important than the axle location on the trailer. In general, if the weight on your trailer is too far to the rear, your trailer may be subject to some fishtailing at higher speeds. That could be a really bad day for you, and your truck, trailer and tractor. Several of the other replies have very good suggestions, such as weight distribution hitches, load balancing, etc. Loadiing a tractor on backwards can also put the engine weight more directly over the trailer axles, which relieves some of the tongue weight. That can get a little challenging, especially if there's an implement on the tractor. Meanwhile, I would continue to search for your perfect trailer, for what you typically use it for, and concurrently look at your tow vehicle ratings and tune it in to whatever you're towing. Good luck in your search.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #37  
My 20' car hauler is like this also, axles set pretty far back.

However this is the correct way to make and use such long trailers. If you put the axles right in the middle, there would be a huge potential for negative tongue weight, which we all know is a terribly dangerous situation.

If you want such a long trailer, you need a tow vehicle that can handle the tongue weight, simple as that. You also MUST be using a WD hitch. Start there if not.

I also recently traded my trusty old 2500HD for a newer F150 with much lighter springs. I plan to add a pair of roadmaster active suspension springs if and when I need to start towing heavy again.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #38  
Towing a trailer starts with the truck and it's tongue rating. It doesn't matter how capable the truck may be if the tongue rating is 200 lbs that it.. The load needs to be balanced to meet that limit. Car haulers and other trailers like them just by their nature have a geometry that leans the weight forward. So, if for example you are carrying a car it should be loaded backward. Otherwise overloading the tongue causes the truck to droop as if the bed were overloaded with gravel. You can add all the extra options you want to stablize the overload but it is still overloaded. With a heavy tongue the short lever action over the truck's rear wheels generally keeps the front wheels on the ground but I have seen both boats and campers put a truck in peril.

I'm not saying you can't change a truck's set up and add optional equipment to match it to the trailer but to do it right you may have to take it further than it seems at first. Of course you can get away with a lot but then it is a matter of how far you want to push it or your luck.

One of the other guys said it... Go for a trailer with wheels closer to the center. It will be much more useful.

Last edited:
   / Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #39  
I'm in the market for a 22' car hauler for my Kubota. What I've been noticing is that most of the trailer length is in front of the axles, putting a lot of weight on the hitch. What am I missing here? My last 22' trailer had the same problem and I recently sold it. I was constantly being flashed at night for high pointing headlights. Any manufacturers that put their axles a little more towards the front?
When building a trailer the tongue weight is critical for safe hauling. Car trailers and other tongue trailers should have 10% more of the load on the tongue. To accomplish this The wheels are moved back from the center of the deck by 10% of the length of the deck. So if you measure to the center line between the two axles if it has two axles and say it is twenty feet long the axle center line should be twelve feet from the front edge of the deck. This makes the trailer tow nicely.
When loading the load center of gravity should center on the deck center and towing is a dream. To much tongue weight may make the tow vehicles hitch be overloaded. Control and ride of the tow vehicle is then affected. The trailer should also be level when towing. I cringe when I see a trailer truck combo where the hitch is clearly overloaded and the hitch is almost dragging. This causes the tow vehicle to sway at every bump.
A gooseneck trailer has 25% of the load on the tow vehicle but that is placed over the tow axle of the tow vehicle. This is significant for handling.
From the pictures it seems those trailers have to much tongue weight. I'd question the reasoning of whoever manufactured them.

/ Why so much tongue weight on 22' car hauler trailers? #40  
If those trucks had headlights like a newer Tesla they could take a minute and lower them on the touch screen using the headlight settings. Or if the US would catch up with EU they would automatically adjust (adaptive headlights) and cut the light going into the oncoming drivers eyes without having to do anything since it is already equipped.
Or they could just not overload/improperly load the truck/trailer.