Will UAW Strike?

/ Will UAW Strike? #521  
Actually I did, and did not.

I endured the strike that the UAW broke IH, and they closed the local plant soon after the strike ended.

It was the worlds largest truck plant and within just a few years it was closed down, along with the Scout plant

Many times there are not as many benefits to the members as the union leadership like to promote
It wasn't the unions fault as why IH and the Scout went down. It was the horrendous 1960's level build quality that did it, especially when better quality imports were hitting their stride.

Last edited:
   / Will UAW Strike? #522  
It wasn't the unions fault as why IH and the Scout went down. It was the horrendous 1960's build quality that did it, especially when better quality imports were hitting their stride.
No, you would be incorrect!

IH had a major portion of the heavy truck market and the strike allowed other domestic manufacturers overtake them

Scout had just redesigned the body with a fiberglass body and was ready to release it, but the finance guys in Chicago decided that the company needed to trip its expenses, so they closed a plant that would have been ripe to take over the 4x4 market of the 90’s.

But then you seem to think you know more about a manufacturer than me, but my sister was the product manager for the redesigned scout…..

😏

/ Will UAW Strike? #523  
No, you would be incorrect!

IH had a major portion of the heavy truck market and the strike allowed other domestic manufacturers overtake them

Scout had just redesigned the body with a fiberglass body and was ready to release it, but the finance guys in Chicago decided that the company needed to trip its expenses, so they closed a plant that would have been ripe to take over the 4x4 market of the 90’s.

But then you seem to think you know more about a manufacturer than me, but my sister was the product manager for the redesigned scout…..

😏
.....all the while Jeep continued to plug away and is doing fine today? The cost for IH to be competitive in the market at that time was just too much for it. Times were changing. :rolleyes:

/ Will UAW Strike? #524  
My point exactly!

Jeep was never targeted by the UAW.

And jeep was even a bigger rust bucket that scouts!

Right now one of the most desirable classic 4x4s is the old scouts!😂

/ Will UAW Strike? #525  
If the patient is sick, it doesn't help if it has a parasite.

/ Will UAW Strike? #526  
IH even sold off its garden tractor business to Cub Cadet. At least they knew what to do with it and was prosperous for years to come. Dinosaurs go extinct if they don't evolve. Sure people look at Scouts as a collector item. No different than the old Ford Broncos. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

"The first Scout was introduced in 1960. A concept for its replacement was initiated in 1964 and approved for production in mid-1965. The Scout II was introduced in 1971. The basic sheet metal remained unchanged until production stopped on October 21, 1980. During the 20-year period (1960–1980), 532,674 Scouts were produced.

Last edited:
   / Will UAW Strike? #527  
.....all the while Jeep continued to plug away and is doing fine today? The cost for IH to be competitive in the market at that time was just too much for it. Times were changing. :rolleyes:
As per usual you once again stick your “opinion“ into an area you have little to no knowledge of, and for anyone with said knowledge you look like a less than intelligent individual

/ Will UAW Strike? #528  
On the phone with one of my hunting buddies this morning and he just so happens to be the plant manager of a large steel processing concern in Butler, Indiana and he told me point blank that they are most certainly headed into a mass layoff situation if the strike isn't resolved quickly. He told me cancelation of orders has become commonplace as T2 and T3 automotive suppliers are belt tightening and they do a huge amount of business not only with the bog 3 but their suppliers as well.

Interesting article that was posted but then I knew Fords was finding Fain and company tedious right from the get go. Remember, I have an 'In' at Fords.

What will be interesting is when their strike fund is depleted and the rank and file won't get any financial assistance and the cannot get unemployment either (at least here in Michigan). I hear the fund might last until Christmas, maybe, depending on how many members Fain decides to pull off the job.

/ Will UAW Strike? #529  
IH even sold off its garden tractor business to Cub Cadet. At least they knew what to do with it and was prosperous for years to come. Dinosaurs go extinct if they don't evolve. Sure people look at Scouts as a collector item. No different than the old Ford Broncos. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

"The first Scout was introduced in 1960. A concept for its replacement was initiated in 1964 and approved for production in mid-1965. The Scout II was introduced in 1971. The basic sheet metal remained unchanged until production stopped on October 21, 1980. During the 20-year period (1960–1980), 532,674 Scouts were produced.
And you felt the need to look up data I already knew? Why?

But failed to find the fact that the new body was about to be released into the next model year, but instead the finance guys killed the entire line up?

Wonder why you failed in mentioning that fact….

🙃🙃🙃

/ Will UAW Strike? #530  
By the time IH would have been able to get the new and improved model to the public, newer and faster companies like Toyota would make it out dated once again. Dinosaurs just don't move fast enough. No, it wasn't the unions fault with IH.....just keep playing the blame game lil