Winch dump trailer build

/ Winch dump trailer build #1  

Unicam

Tractor
Ariens
so after countless years of wanting a dump trailer, ridiculous amounts of time thinking about how what when, I decided to start a build.

I got close when i found a cheap steel snowmobile trailer at a garage sale but after 4 years of the frustration of not a high enuff dump angle and manually unloading my leaves and brush, the axle rusted out. perfect excuse for an upgrade. :)

I'm starting out with a 4x8' big tex trailer with a 3500lb axle and my old steel snowmobile trailer. been at it for a couple days now and it's starting to come together. most stuff is just tacked and what is welded need to be braced as the old steel snowmobile trailer metal seems it would rather turn to mush than take welding.

I'm basically coming up with it as i go but the $$ is adding up so i hope i'll eventually have something that is functional.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1,769
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,338
   / Winch dump trailer build #2  
You have the planking on the wrong side of the tilt trailer, the leaves are going to fall through those big holes.

I'd consider the front lift pole to be in two pieces so it can be raised and lowed, raised higher so the bed will go more vertical to dump easier, sort of like a support post for basements with multiple holes and a pin.

/ Winch dump trailer build
I don't have any decking on the dumping part yet, i'm at the beginning of the build still. I guess it could be called a dump insert.

I should have explained the pictures. I added them after i made the post from my phone. The winch and pole lifting it in these pictures is just a temporary winch lift that i use around the house, it's not part of the trailer. I just wanted to see how it looked lifted up. :)

I'm still hypothesising about how to design the winch lift system. :confused:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6,958
Last edited:
   / Winch dump trailer build #4  
A lot of trailer makers use the hydraulic pump lift method but those don't appear to lift that high, I'd like to have a trailer lift nearly vertical, but I cant come up with any hypothesizing idea either.

well... 5hrs today playing with scissor lengths and mounts with unsatisfactory results. i'll try and tag a video below of the design i was trying to emulate. no doubt a sweet set-up... but it won't work for me with my parameters.

I had it soooo close. good angles on the scissors, lifting easy, but i couldn't get it above 32* dump without wholesale changes in pulling required to raise it. in order to hit 45-50*, i was putting stupid forces on the linkage.

very bummed out as i didn't want the 8' pole on the front of this little trailer. but that's the way i'm going now, i've abandoned the scissor. too bad i have a giant hole in the floor of my new trailer now. :duh:

this what i was trying to emulate... dump trailer with manual winch - YouTube

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 2,469
   / Winch dump trailer build #6  
Maybe if you go with a hydraulic pump and cylinder method fit into the giant hole in your trailer you could get near vertical lift. Maybe my pic can give you some ideas.
Also, if you haven't already seen it, check the next video in your link for his winch operated scissor lift without hydraulics.

Attachments

• DSCN1124 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN1124 (Medium).JPG
    269.6 KB · Views: 5,266
Last edited:
   / Winch dump trailer build #7  
You might not be that far off. After watching the video, you'll notice his system actually works in two segments. Initially, it's the pulley on the front that's doing the grunt work and then the scissors take over when it gets past 30 degrees ( just guessing ). Take another look at the video and you'll see what I mean.

/ Winch dump trailer build #8  
well... 5hrs today playing with scissor lengths and mounts with unsatisfactory results. i'll try and tag a video below of the design i was trying to emulate. no doubt a sweet set-up... but it won't work for me with my parameters.

I had it soooo close. good angles on the scissors, lifting easy, but i couldn't get it above 32* dump without wholesale changes in pulling required to raise it. in order to hit 45-50*, i was putting stupid forces on the linkage.

very bummed out as i didn't want the 8' pole on the front of this little trailer. but that's the way i'm going now, i've abandoned the scissor. too bad i have a giant hole in the floor of my new trailer now. :duh:

this what i was trying to emulate... dump trailer with manual winch - YouTube

Yes that video is a nice dump set up, it has the dump angle I like, cant believe you got close and no cigar, maybe sleep on it and a light will come on. Was it Edison that said "I just found 2,000 ways not to make a light bulb; I only needed to find one way to make it work"

/ Winch dump trailer build #9  
Also if you look closely at the first video, the dump doesn't pivot off the back end like most do, it is hinged somewhat forward so the rear actually drops down so you don't have to raise the front as much.

ok, no real progress... but i know where things need to be to achieve 45*. So I guess that is progress.

after the words of encouragement :) I kept at the linkage.

I shortened the arms 4" ( after the hail mary 8" lengthen i did yesterday). I have my hypothetical winch height were i'd like it. ( now it's just a pulley to my atv winch).

I'm getting 45* dump in this picture, maxed out but it's there... but the picture in the mid position is where the trouble is. It binds more than what will work under load. the rest of the cycle i'd go as far as to say is effortless.

I really don't want to raise the winch height anymore but scratching my head as to overcome the bad angle when it comes off the bed and onto the linkage. You can see how long the pole would need to be if I went with the pole method. I'd be scared to pull it around during lightening. :eek:

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 3,099
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 6,408