Windmill plans??

/ Windmill plans?? #32  
Can anyone comment on the use of windmills for the purpose of pond aeration? There are a couple of companies that sell windmills just for this purpose. A link to one here: Koenders Windmills for water aeration

Do these really work? I have a 2 acre pond that would be the right size for one of these windmills, just not sure if they really do the job of aeration or would I just wind up with a nice windmill?

I've got a Koenders Windmill which aerates one of our ponds, and it works great. Since I set it up, I have not had to do anything to that pond, and have had virtually no scum. Before the windmill, I had to put $200-$400 per year in beneficial algae to keep it under control. A this rate, it will pay for itself in chemical costs in just a couple of years, I don't have to spend time to monitor, and it also looks great.

I got lucky on mine, as I found a used one. I really wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money for a new one when I wasn't sure how it would work, but now I wouldn't be afraid to buy a new one. Besides Koenders, there are several other companies in the market. Do a google search to see what's available. I think a windmill is a great solution to aerate a pond, especially if you don't have a ready access to electricity.

GGB

/ Windmill plans??
Well, i didn't intend to let this thread die out. Ive purchased the lumber and most of the sac-crete to finish the project. Here are a few pics: one is a single side being completed and the other is the 5' fan. Hopefully the weekend will allow me to be quite productive. Im gonna wait until it warms up before i attempt to form & pour the slab for the base.

ForumRunner_20121230_000108.png

ForumRunner_20121230_000006.png

/ Windmill plans?? #34  
Thanks for the pictures

/ Windmill plans?? #35  
Looks like the fan blade I have but mine has a fixed rear wing,, If yours has a grease able front bearing you might want to put an axel cap on it,, Mine got water in it in the first few months now that it's capped it's doing much better,,

Keep the pic's coming as you build the frame,, mine is on a steel pole but like the looks of the wooden structure ..

/ Windmill plans?? #36  
Any info on the project and cost of parts ?, I plan to start mine come April 30/ 32 foot tower 6/8ft fan. I want a constant stream and 12 volt power

/ Windmill plans??
So far, the head cost me $200, knocked down from $400 b/c the guy was moving. The treated lumber is $150 & another $100 in crete bags.

The footprint measures 62" square. I was planning to widen it to 68-72" for the pad. I dug out where i want my pad and it think its gonna be about 8" thick in some areas. Im estimating 20-30 80lb bags. Does that seem like enough weight for a base or is it overkill? I figured if its gonna be 20' in the air, our Oklahoma breezes of 50+mph could provide some significant forces on the unit. I would hate to see it topple over. I would anticipate the wood to fail prior to tipping over with that much weight at the base.

/ Windmill plans??
My next question is how to anchor the tower. I dont want to cement the posts in. Im thinking about some big eyebolts embedded in the slab. Then cabled to a few eyebolts in the interior of the tower using turnbuckles to keep it cinched down. I thought about embedding a mobile home anchor/auger and then fasten that to the underneath of the tower's head. Ive got sandstone and shale about a foot down. Im not sure if that anchor could bore through that stone..

/ Windmill plans?? #39  
My next question is how to anchor the tower. I dont want to cement the posts in. Im thinking about some big eyebolts embedded in the slab. Then cabled to a few eyebolts in the interior of the tower using turnbuckles to keep it cinched down. I thought about embedding a mobile home anchor/auger and then fasten that to the underneath of the tower's head. Ive got sandstone and shale about a foot down. Im not sure if that anchor could bore through that stone..

Nice tower build. I bought the 20 tall Koenders aeration wind mill this past spring for my pond.
The Tower has 3 sides and the anchor consist of (1) 1-1/2" pipe 3' long driven into the ground
2.5' and bolted to each leg. Total of 3 pipes. So your base would be more than enough. Hurricane
Sandy didn't even phase it. By the way so far it's working great for the aeration.
Keep the pics coming.

/ Windmill plans??
Moved the tower today. Rather difficult to maneuver a 16' wide unbalanced load thru a 10' gate. Here are a few action shots. My wife and son helped supervise and stabilize, respectively.

ForumRunner_20130107_214310.png

ForumRunner_20130107_214341.png