Windows 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Windows 11 #81  
Nobody is sending a PC to the landfill because it won't run the yet-unreleased Windows 11.
2022 will be different. Lots of good gear will go to the dump.

I made quite a bit of money re-selling gear that was surplussed and auctioned by government and large corporations just before Y2K.

My specialty was testing and guaranteeing SCSI tape backup drives. They had no Y2K sensitivity. I never had a warranty return. It was a huge waste of taxpayer dollars to retire these just because an expensive consultant said 'discard everything'.

This is similar to the tractor manufacturers installing softfware that only they can maintain, which will eventually cause equipment to be retired long before the mechanical parts are worn out.

/ Windows 11 #82  
I still dont like Linux very much and unfortunately-Micky soft is going the way of Linux...which I really don't want to happen.
Say good bye to the GUI...say hello to powershell and you will all be fine.

What do you mean "going the way of Linux"? There are things in Linux I don't like which are going the way of MS :)
The GUI will not go away. It's needed for most of the functionality of the OS and the applications. Powershell helps enterprise admins heaps as it was sorely missing to put it mildly.

/ Windows 11 #83  
Microsoft doesn't use Windows. :unsure:

/ Windows 11 #84  
Microsoft never officially announced Windows 10 would be the final version.

Windows 10: the Last Version of Windows?

Why is there a Windows 11 if Windows 10 is the last Windows?

Microsoft also said this when it released Windows 10.

"With Windows 10, it's time to start thinking of Windows as something that won't see a big launch or major upgrade every few years anymore. Much like how Google's Chrome browser gets updated regularly with version numbers nobody really pays attention to, Microsoft's approach will likely result in a similar outcome. This is really the idea of Windows as a service, and the notion that Windows 10 could be the last major version of Windows. Microsoft could opt for Windows 11 or Windows 12 in future, but if people upgrade to Windows 10 and the regular updates do the trick then everyone will just settle for just "Windows" without even worrying about the version number."

I took this to mean that existing programs or apps would work with WINDOWS and not be restricted to a Windows Version Number. As a poster has stated he is using Office 7 on a Windows 10 computer, so am I. Prior to Windows Ten one could get a old program or app to work if they were savvy enough to figure out how to install the program in compatibility mode.

Microsoft is also I think, trying to out Apple, Apple. They have made the "Notes" app in Office available as a free stand alone app to make Windows more like Apple's Notes app that a lot of us use to store information.

/ Windows 11 #85  
What do you mean "going the way of Linux"? There are things in Linux I don't like which are going the way of MS :)
The GUI will not go away. It's needed for most of the functionality of the OS and the applications. Powershell helps enterprise admins heaps as it was sorely missing to put it mildly.

I always keep a copy of Linux Ubuntu handy in case I need to boot into windows when a problem occurs.

/ Windows 11
More on the Western Digital internet-accessible drives vulnerability.
'Krebs on Security' is a first rate investigator. His writeup goes deeper than the Ars Technica article.

He says the vulnerability exists in some My Cloud models as well as My Book.

New details on MYCloud vulnerability. "Researchers say a vulnerability in MyCloud OS 3 leaves many Western Digital products at risk of attack."

Researchers Share Another Zero-Day in Some Western Digital NAS Products

/ Windows 11 #87  
I'm a computer idiot. That said, although my Mac desktop wasn't cheap, the first one I bought has been going strong for the last 12-15 years.

I bought my wife a microsoft tablet (source? Whatever it was called), thing lasted like a year before giving her problems and we ditched it.

I will be buying another Apple desktop down the road. For work, company sent me a new laptop with Windows 10 on it. I sent it back to keep the Windows 7 LOL

/ Windows 11 #88  
Anyone know what is going on with this printnightmare thing?

I guess they are even doing updates to win7 computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.