XC drag build

/ XC drag build #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
I'm in the process of designing a new cross country ski trail drag to be towed behind our 6x6. I've actually built two of them before and below is photos of them and/or modification to factory made ones over the past 20 years. What I'm doing differently will follow later. 1st photo is one I've used and worked on made by YTS (Yellowstone track systems) They don't build them as of today. 2nd and 3rd is one I did some years ago which was quite successful. I hope to make improvements of it. Clear as mud? :ROFLMAO: Feel free to ask questions or let me know if you are interested in this project.

yts dragmed.jpg

New drag working live f.jpg
new drag top view.dl.jpg
Drag rebuild side (DL).a.jpg
YTS drag updated in action.jpg

Last edited:
   / XC drag build
In the below photos of my design concept, you should note the strong similarity with the above drags. The cylinders are 12 volt actuators which I see I forgot to identify in the pic. The 2nd photo is looking down on the two setts of teeth it will have. The 3rd shows the spring harrow teeth similar to what will be used on the front cutter.
P1120247.jpg
new drag20130.jpg
3-Bar-Spring-Tine-Harrow-3-Bar-3BS.jpg

Last edited:
   / XC drag build #5  
That ends up making a pretty fancy trail. Especially the two units. Where the back unit makes a track for xcountry skiing.

/ XC drag build
That ends up making a pretty fancy trail. Especially the two units. Where the back unit makes a track for xcountry skiing.
The tracks are made by a "pan" but drags don't normally have them. That setup was done for a school yard ski program so I added it to that unit. This new one I'd like to build would be better suited for a pan..

/ XC drag build #7  
so the roller you made in another thread is to pack down the fresh snow and this would be to maintain (freshen up) worn trails between snowfalls.

/ XC drag build
so the roller you made in another thread is to pack down the fresh snow and this would be to maintain (freshen up) worn trails between snowfalls.
Sorta but not really. Rollers are great for deeper snow falls, lets say 4" or more but they don't knock all that much air out, or level your trails either. But they are a fast implement XC area's to tow they we need to knock deeper snows down. People without a roller, drive around with just there tow machines, just to pack them. Waste of time in my book. :(

Drags shine at knocking lots more air out and leveling your trails. They operate much like a road grader. Down side is they take real power to tow so they are power hogs and are much slower to tow than rollers are. But in them the snow is being rolled and rolled many times, knocking the flakes down. Having said all that, they take inordinate HP to tow in deeper snow hince I tend not to in 4"+ snow. This 60" wide implement could not and should not be towed by a SWT Skandic. Does that help?

Last edited:
   / XC drag build
Here is the roller thread from one or so, years ago. A roller is a 2ft tube one tows to pack snow down.

/ XC drag build
Here is a better pic of the front frame which has the harrow tines on it. Plus general dragging photos I have in stock.
drag tine fram top V251.jpg
YTS drag updated in action pan.jpg
new drag woking live.jpg