Yanmar Corporate Call

/ Yanmar Corporate Call #1  

Dundertaker

Tractor
Yanmar SA 425
Got a call from a Corporate Yanmar rep. They're surveying customers. Basic questions: how satisfied are you with your tractor? Would you recommend us to a friend? Have you contacted Yanmar and were they responsive?

I took the opportunity to discuss the dealer network needing to be built out faster! Parts availability at my specific dealer, etc....

I bought it knowing I was with a "new" dealer with almost zero infrastructure based on the quality of the tractor. I'm also mechanical and will do most of the maintenance myself. I even went the extra step and called Georgia Corporate to ask, "What if this dealer doesn't make it? Who will do the warranty work?" etc...there are lots of Yanmar shops...just not "tractor" specific...and I assume any major issue I can't handle would likely be Motor internals, etc. The price hooked me...gambling on an old brand expanding into a new market.

I will say their online forum seems to be very responsive to comments for help, and that's mostly what I'd need if I called a dealer. So far so good. Fingers Crossed for the next 9.5 years of warranty. :)

/ Yanmar Corporate Call #2  
Curious, what did they say to your comment about needing more dealer network?

/ Yanmar Corporate Call #3  
If Yanmar did a handful of things, they could really be a major player. I really believe their quality is second to none. What they lack is a good sound dealer network ,and a few more models.

They are strong on the smaller compact range, but really lack choices in the midrange.

Most companies top sellers are the 25-35 hp models that compare in size to the YT235. I like the YT235, but Yanmar needs to really offer a few different engine sizes here, and specifically a 25hp machine and probably a 40 or 40+ machine. And redo the loader so it has a higher lift say mid 90 inches. All others in this size tractor have that mid 90 lift height. Yanmar needs that.

YM could use a standard hydro option, not the i-HMT that scares people away at the price of the larger YT series. Build the dealer network, get some more popular choices, and watch sales boom. Then the larger YT models with the deluxe I-HMT will get more popular as people get more familiar and comfortable spending higher amounts on a product they know will be around.

/ Yanmar Corporate Call #4  
Yeah, their dealer network is one of the worst. They don't seem real committed to the US market

/ Yanmar Corporate Call #5  
Too many players, the pie slices are getting smaller, the economy is shrinking, dollar is getting tight, inflation is roaring, only the strong survive.

You decide who plays and stays and who don't.

/ Yanmar Corporate Call #7  
They need to fire their entire marketing organization and rehire as many as they can pull from John Deere and Kubota.

In addition to that, do a lot of things that @aesanders mentioned. Although, the next tractor I buy will have that i-hmt transmission.

Oh, and make some damn stickers that don't wash off with a little bit of gasoline and a hood that doesn't crack if you open it with your mouth the wrong way.

/ Yanmar Corporate Call #8  
You sound like Neil Messick
Kubota is worried. Solid manufacturers are moving in using the same strategy they did in the 70s-80s. As economy worsens, they will lose market share to lower priced competitors. As those competitors stick around, more and more people will realize they have been over paying for marketing hype. The only real question is 'which ones stick around'?

Yanmar probably makes the best CUT sold in the US. They have some growing to do in this market, but as they grow dealers, it will eat away at JD and Kubota.

/ Yanmar Corporate Call #9  
Kubota is worried. Solid manufacturers are moving in using the same strategy they did in the 70s-80s. As economy worsens, they will lose market share to lower priced competitors. As those competitors stick around, more and more people will realize they have been over paying for marketing hype. The only real question is 'which ones stick around'?

Yanmar probably makes the best CUT sold in the US. They have some growing to do in this market, but as they grow dealers, it will eat away at JD and Kubota.
And they make some of JD’s tractors so that’s kind of ironic.
Their engineering is terrific, but their marketing is weak.

/ Yanmar Corporate Call #10  
In some ways, my 1980s YM226d seems better built than my 2022 L2501. If Yanmar hadn't pulled out of the US market back then, they could have been in Kubota's market position today. I don't understand why Yanmar has held itself back all these years when they make quality tractors?