Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,121  
Wonder if that applies to farmers? :unsure:

My buddy has a fuel trailer that’s technically illegal for him to pull and he’s a farmer. You need a tanker and hazmat endorsement for fuel. His sprayer trailer that’s just water technically needs a tanker endorsement. He looked into getting those added to his CDL but a hazmat endorsement is a pretty big deal to get.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,122  
Wonder if that applies to farmers? :unsure:
Couple farms around here running fuel and lube trucks have them all setup to carry less than 900 gallons (if I recall correctly) so that they don't fall under hazmat rules. I've never looked into it myself or tried to find the regulation so I can't verify that though.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,123  
Couple farms around here running fuel and lube trucks have them all setup to carry less than 900 gallons (if I recall correctly) so that they don't fall under hazmat rules. I've never looked into it myself or tried to find the regulation so I can't verify that though.

You need a hazmat endorsement to haul over 119 gallons of fuel and there’s no exemptions for anyone to the best of my knowledge. And that’s the way laws should be. If you’re hauling over 1000 gallons of any liquid even water you need a separate tanker endorsement. Although enforcement of either one of those seems pretty lax. Practically everyone dealing with equipment is hauling over 119 gallons and most of them don’t have hazmat licenses.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #4,124  
It seems that the answer is "it depends". Here's a link: Transporting diesel fuel

Extract from the article
The first interpretation is that farmers are not subject to any of the hazmat regulations as long as the agriculture product, in this case diesel fuel, is transported over local roads between fields of the same farm.

The second explanation, which was included in the magazine article, adds one additional caveat to the first interpretation: that the diesel needs to be in containers smaller than 502 gallons.

Under this interpretation, farmers with diesel trailers that haul 502-plus gallons would need to register with the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Administration, complete annual inspections, obtain medical examiner’s certificates, and have a CDL.

To determine which interpretation was correct, a request for clarification was sent to the DOT.

The final clarification came through at the end of August and, thankfully for farmers, the DOT agrees with the first interpretation.

This means that there are no limits to the size of the diesel container, as long as:

1. It is transported by a farmer who is an intrastate private motor carrier.
  2. The movement of the container does not break any state laws.
  3. The diesel is only moved over local roads between fields of the same farm.
For example, a farmer with a 990-gallon diesel trailer could drive from his farm to one of his fields to fill up a combine and would not be subject to any of the hazmat regulations. However, a farmer that drives that same trailer to a repair shop that isn’t along a direct route between his farm and fields would not be exempt if his trailer were larger than 502 gallons. The 502-gallon limitation to the hazmat exemption kicks in when a farmer is not traveling on roads between his fields. In addition, these exemptions do not extend to interstate or restricted-access highways and only apply in a farmer’s home state within a 150-mile radius of the home farm.