Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,221  
Cat痴 gooseneck is a tandem dually, while Tim痴 trailer has singles. Big difference in GVW. Tim has to forward load the tractor to put more weight on the truck to avoid overloading the trailer痴 axles.
I壇 also bet Tim has airbags on his truck to help with the extra weight.

Ah...

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,222  
2016 Ram 2500 Cummins & no airbags.

I just loaded it to where the truck was sitting somewhat level. With it farther over the trailer wheels the rear of the truck feels light.

The road is really hilly & has tight curves. Because of that the gooseneck barely clears the bed sides in place.

Once I get to the state highway it's not as bad. There is an "s" curve in one spot that either the truck or the trailer has to go off the edge of the pavement to get through it.

The tractor weighs about 11,000 lbs.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,223  
2016 Ram 2500 Cummins & no airbags. The road is really hilly...... The tractor weighs about 11,000 lbs.

So the tractor is 11,000-lbs, the trailer is, likely what, 2,000-lbs and the truck is, maybe....9,500-lbs. I hope that trailer has brakes on BOTH axles and the hills are NOT TOO hilly.....or that truck will get pushed around!!

BarnieTrk

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,224  
I would think the truck is around 7,500 and the trailer 3,500... just a wild guess.

Last edited:
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #3,225  
My 2018 with 1/2 tank of fuel crossbox and tools no passengers is 8400 lbs. that trailer is probably in the 3500-4500 lb range.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,226  
Here’s mine. I’ve posted pictures of my trailer before doing ridiculous overkill work but this is why I really bought it. IMG_1516.JPGIMG_1517.JPG

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,228  
The trailer has brakes on both axles.

I really don't have to use the brakes that much until I want to come to a complete stop.

The exhaust brake does a good job of slowing it down on the hills.

I think where a lot of people get into trouble towing is they want to go from 0-70 in about 5 seconds & then want to stop in 100 ft.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,229  
2016 Ram 2500 Cummins & no airbags.

I just loaded it to where the truck was sitting somewhat level. With it farther over the trailer wheels the rear of the truck feels light.

The road is really hilly & has tight curves. Because of that the gooseneck barely clears the bed sides in place.

Once I get to the state highway it's not as bad. There is an "s" curve in one spot that either the truck or the trailer has to go off the edge of the pavement to get through it.

The tractor weighs about 11,000 lbs.

Thanks for the explanation. Nice setup, by the way.

Rob

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #3,230  
Cat痴 gooseneck is a tandem dually, while Tim痴 trailer has singles. Big difference in GVW. Tim has to forward load the tractor to put more weight on the truck to avoid overloading the trailer痴 axles.
I壇 also bet Tim has airbags on his truck to help with the extra weight.

Good point. I can see the trailer tires are squatting some as it is. Balance is a valid concern but I still like the load as close to the front as makes sense so if the load shifts forward it is against something solid. We all have seen boats on the cabs of TV's that stopped faster then the boat. I still like to load heavy to the high side of the road in case I drop off the pavement which is required on some roads around here from time to time.