Your towing rigs and trailers

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #31  
These weight distributing hitches, how does it work ?
I've never seen anything alike in Holland but it sure sounds interesting...
So if i understand it right, it just transfers hitch load to the front axle by a heavy spring on an arm ?
How much weight does it transfer, and does it need a reinforced hitch to deal with the bend forces on the rear of the chassis ?

/ Your towing rigs and trailers
Flywheel how does your truck handle the GN trailer? I have the same setup and I'm thinking on the same trailer. Is your truck the 7.3PSD? What hitch are you running? I was think of a B&W turnover ball. Great pics so far guys.
Please provide as much info as you can on the pics.

Matt T.:D

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #34  
Here's what I tow with.
14 ft Wright trailer
2004 F250 5.4L

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 2,268
  • tow rig.jpg
    tow rig.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 1,880
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #35  
Well, guys, FENCING_TRAIN_2_11069.JPG
It's my fencing rig: Kubota 5030 engine with FEL, hay fork on 3PH with carryall platform on it and trailer hitch, 18 foot flatbed hooked to the carryall has a trailer hitch on its rear to which a 20 foot cotton trailer is hitched.
FEL drives and pulls posts
tool box and counter weights on carryall
flatbed carries posts, wire, stuff, place to put trash
trailer carries fencing supplies, tools, chain saw, generator, power tools

When need be, I hook my old F350 (not shown) to the flatbed, roll the tractor on it and head out down the road. Seldom done... and at 55MPH max.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #36  
Here's my 24' gooseneck trailer with my hydraulic dump bed trailer and JD 4210 loaded on it. I tow it with my Chevy 3500 dually.

Attachments

• GNeck 004.jpg
    GNeck 004.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2,241
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #37  
GreatWhitehunter said:
Flywheel how does your truck handle the GN trailer? I have the same setup and I'm thinking on the same trailer. Is your truck the 7.3PSD? What hitch are you running? I was think of a B&W turnover ball. Great pics so far guys.
Please provide as much info as you can on the pics.

Hi GreatWhite -

The Short Ribs are on the grill - so I might be brief....

Yes - the truck is a 99.5 CC long bed with a few mods, chip, etc - I have the x-springs and the F350 blocks as well as timbrens. The hitch is a B&W.

I regularly pull horse trailers 4H slant LQ as well as stock style along with the flatbed and a 32' float dually. Every GN trailer I pull is like a dream - much better than a BP trailer -since the bumper I have is a replacement and the hitch is a mile behind the rear axle. Honestly - this trailer pulls fine empty and full - but with my 790 on it tends to buck - I've tried a lot of positions with the tractor - but no luck.

I was thinking that if I had torsion axles it might be better. I've heard other folks having this issue with different trailers and different rigs, even with torsion axles - so I think it might be a combination of truck / trailer. The big float is about 7000 lbs and is a dually - so I think that pulls better anyway.

I was thinking of putting shocks on the axles - but we'll see.

The B&W hitsh is the best thing since sliced bread - goes in real slick and has a really good reputation. I have a long bed and put the hitch at 49" - that's like 6" ahead of the axle - pretty far, but like I said - it pulls better than my friends 250SB - just smoother - but my truck is pretty heavy too - about 8100lbs.

Anyway - if you go to dieselstop.com - I am "flywheel" and have a few pics on that server with the horse trailer.

I recommend that you get the hitch, get the wiring (wire the socket in FRONT of the wheel well in the bed), and then shop trailers - tell them you want to test drive empty and with a load.

Also - with the tires - make sure you get a trailer with decent tires - not carlisles and not d rated - you want 235/85/16 truck tires (all position).

When I pull the rig fully loaded - that's 200 square bales at 55lbs avg or 8 1200lb round bales - trailer weighs 4800lbs - so its about 15,000lbs on a 14k trailer - but it pulls great - full.

Also, I have heard problems with torsion axles on construction type trailers that tend to hit curbs, etc...but I say test drive..

PM me if you have any questions.

/ Your towing rigs and trailers #38  
Here's my new tow rig. Just picked up today.
2500HD Duramax Allison

Attachments

• My new toy 001 (Small).jpg
    My new toy 001 (Small).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,600
  • My new toy 002 (Small).jpg
    My new toy 002 (Small).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,410
  • My new toy 003 (Small).jpg
    My new toy 003 (Small).jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,218
  • My new toy 004 (Small).jpg
    My new toy 004 (Small).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 1,237
  • My new toy 005 (Small).jpg
    My new toy 005 (Small).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,921
   / Your towing rigs and trailers #39  
Congrats on the rig - looks good!

/ Your towing rigs and trailers
George, nice new toy. I just got a new 2500hd at work (but with the 6.0) and I can't believe how nice it rides for a 3/4ton. The fit an finish inside is really nice too. I noticed you went with the long bed this time,is there a reason? Best of luck with it.