Caught an Intruder

/ Caught an Intruder #91  
You're right, they aren't NVR's. Thanks for spotting that.
I've only been making cursory glances to see what's out there and didn't notice that they had analog inputs. The link you provided is in fact what I want, a true network device with CAT-5 inputs for each of the 3-4 IP cameras.
I haven't seen any that had multiple RJ45 (network) ports. Most (like the one I linked) use a separate switch to connect the cameras to the DVR and only have one network port.

Aaron Z

/ Caught an Intruder
I haven't seen any that had multiple RJ45 (network) ports. Most (like the one I linked) use a separate switch to connect the cameras to the DVR and only have one network port.

Aaron Z

I was not aware of that, so a PoE switch would still be required.

After looking at some of the DVR/NVR systems available, I noticed that there is a bewildering array of different choices available. Initially I wanted everything to be "networked" via CAT-5 cable, but now that I've seen the prices on some of this stuff, the analog camera systems are starting to look much more appealing. Is there any real advantage with using IP (CAT-5) cameras over traditional analog cameras?

/ Caught an Intruder #93  
Costco is running a pretty good deal right now on a very decent Stealth Cam (Model STC-U840IRS1) that includes the camera, a 2GB card, a really nice swivel-ball mount and even batteries. The whole deal was about $120 IIRC. I have been very pleased with the quality of both daylight and night photos and the setup is relatively simple and makes the cam function exactly as it is supposed to. I can say nothing good about the old Moultrie camera that it replaced.

/ Caught an Intruder #94  
I was not aware of that, so a PoE switch would still be required.
After looking at some of the DVR/NVR systems available, I noticed that there is a bewildering array of different choices available. Initially I wanted everything to be "networked" via CAT-5 cable, but now that I've seen the prices on some of this stuff, the analog camera systems are starting to look much more appealing. Is there any real advantage with using IP (CAT-5) cameras over traditional analog cameras?
IMO, the only real differences is less wires if you already have a network and usually the network ones can use any smartphone to watch the feed while the DVR ones need special software.
I used to work for a hotel that had a 16 channel box which worked well (was back there last week to help backup footage of a fight/arrest), but you have to use their software to do anything.

Aaron Z

/ Caught an Intruder #95  
It would be much simpler if I could simply install several hundred feet of razor wire connected to a high current 240 VAC power source so I could simply fry the intruder, but since I obviously can't do that I guess I'll have to catch him the hard way. :mur:

Power is too expensive. :laughing:

When I drive through Fort Bragg I look with envy at the razor wire. :D I saw some TV show where a company had developed a quick deploying razor wire setup that was in a truck. Anchor the wire and then just drive. The razor wire pulled out of the truck in three loops. Two loops on the ground and one loop stacked on top. I told they wifey we needed that setup. :laughing::laughing::laughing: She said yes dear. :D

If we had razor wire around the garden, any deer trying to access the garden would quickly process themselves into burger and sausage. I told the wife this would help pay for the razor wire but she did not bite. So to speak. :laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Caught an Intruder #96  
I have some good preventive measures to keep from being a target, most of these no one thinks of.

Internet;
1) Never announce you are going on vacation or away on any forum(like this one) or social media. They are watching and waiting for the right sign.
2) Careful with large transactions on Ebay etc. A username shoulbe totally anonymous.
3) Never announce big purcheses on Forums etc.

Home;
1) Install lighting or security lights.
2) Lock up or hide personal belongings-there are people who just drive around looking for potential grabs all the time. No matter how safe you think your neighborehood is.
3) A dog, gease, alarm etc is also a good thing to have.
4) Camera systems may not prevent them from breaking in or stealing but they can make it much easier to catch the perpatrator doing the dead for prosecution later.
5) Tint or pull the shade down on all windows that are capable of being looked through-if they cant see that 5k OLED TV in the living room they dont know its there.
6) Take pictures, record serial numbers and retain receipts for all valuables. If you can-etch your name on it somewhere.
7) Finally-keep an eye out for suspicous activity in your yard and neighbrehood such as parked cars, cigerette buts on your property when you dont smoke, things out of place.

Out and about;
1) If on perscription medication especially pain killers or narcotics make sureto note those around you. Perps will scout out pharmacies etc and follow you.
2) When withdrawing funds also be aware their maybe someone watching and waiting for you.
Ask everyone in your houshold to be aware of the above as it takes just one person to be the weakest link in home security.

There is no way to make you or your home invinceable but-you can make it so **** hard for them that they willl go for easier targets and there is always an easier target.

I have learned these tips and tricks from the military, being a victime and my workplace and they do work.

/ Caught an Intruder
IMO, the only real differences is less wires if you already have a network and usually the network ones can use any smartphone to watch the feed while the DVR ones need special software.
I used to work for a hotel that had a 16 channel box which worked well (was back there last week to help backup footage of a fight/arrest), but you have to use their software to do anything.

Aaron Z

That's good to know because the traditional analog camera systems are much cheaper, or at least they appear to be. My only real goal is to record images/video in the event that something happens. However, accessing the stored images/video over the network for viewing and/or backup is required. Smart phone access isn't much of a priority because I don't even own a smartphone at the moment.

After looking at some of the offerings available and finally managing to locate a few sample images/video that were actually taken by the cameras, I'm not impressed. Some manufacturers actually have the nerve to call them high resolution when you can't even make out a persons face at 30 feet. This is not going to be easy. :confused2:

/ Caught an Intruder #98  
After looking at some of the offerings available and finally managing to locate a few sample images/video that were actually taken by the cameras, I'm not impressed. Some manufacturers actually have the nerve to call them high resolution when you can't even make out a persons face at 30 feet. This is not going to be easy. :confused2:
I'll see if I can get some faceless stills from the footage at the hotel. It is ~720p video, so not all that high resolution. A IP based system can theoretically give you nicer picture than a analogue system can, but the glass in the camera makes a huge difference.

Aaron Z

/ Caught an Intruder #99  
Before I start, I just wanna say I’ve never used an NVR system.

Some thoughts DVR systems.
-Usually good price for the number of cameras
-I’ve seen them come with wireless\outdoor cameras. Deployment just needs electrical outlet
-I think most of the packages out there come with a DVR system and a couple of cameras (for cheaper than IP camera setups.)
-A lot of them allow for monitoring through the internet if you have a line
Cons:
-Not all the packages come with a viewing screen.
-Depending on the setup, you might be limited to how far out you can place the cameras (limits are wifi range and cable length) and total number of cameras. Most of the affordable setups don’t offer a huge amount of range, IMO.

Thoughts on NVR:
-I like the idea of a network based storage. It’s a centralized location to put everything and I imagine you can probably get systems that have raided drives for extra protection.

Possible limitation (just off the top of my head).
-Looks like you will probably need a viewing monitor or machine to attach to the NVR.
-It looks like the NVR has to be attached to an Ethernet cable so limited deployment options.

Just throwing another idea out there…
Instead of NVR or DVR. Get a cheapo laptop to act as the monitoring station (same price range as an NVR of DVR). If you want additional storage you could either get a cheapo USB drive or NAS and use that to store the pictures\video if the laptop’s HD wasn’t large enough to store all you want.
With a laptop you also get a mobile “command center” you can have that bad boy on wifi with the security screen up and move it from room to room. Plug in battery when needed.
Example: You’re out in the shop (assuming you have wifi out there) you can take it with you to monitor the cameras from there. You get tired and go in for the day. (It’s dark now) you go inside and decide you are going to hang around in your living room and do some reading. You hook the laptop up to your TV (assuming the laptop is circa 2005 or better and the TV is about the same) and you have the cameras up on the big screen while you’re reading. Now you’re done reading and want to turn it. You take the laptop to your bedroom, plug it in for the night and turn the brightness down. Now you have the alarm system with you. If something triggers you can view the screen right away.

/ Caught an Intruder #100  
Tractor by net=paranoia 101. Maybe it's one of the people on this site who walked on the property. They will know exactly what you are planning to do to catch them. I think I hear the twilight zone music. :eek: