Caught an Intruder

/ Caught an Intruder
Tractor by net=paranoia 101. Maybe it's one of the people on this site who walked on the property. They will know exactly what you are planning to do to catch them. I think I hear the twilight zone music. :eek:

I considered that possibility before creating this thread and actually hope they are a member of TBN because they'll know that I'm not playing games and take home security VERY seriously.

As for my exact plan of action, that will never be posted. Sure, they'll know that I'm planning to install cameras and motion detectors, but they won't know where they're installed... and yes, I do have plans that I won't post about. Oh, and they'll also know that I'm armed and plan to buy additional guns which should tell them that I'll use deadly force if necessary.

So am I worried? Not in the slightest. This is my home and I will protect it at all costs.

/ Caught an Intruder #102  
Thoughts on NVR:
-I like the idea of a network based storage. It’s a centralized location to put everything and I imagine you can probably get systems that have raided drives for extra protection.
Possible limitation (just off the top of my head).
-Looks like you will probably need a viewing monitor or machine to attach to the NVR.
-It looks like the NVR has to be attached to an Ethernet cable so limited deployment options.
Just throwing another idea out there…
Instead of NVR or DVR. Get a cheapo laptop to act as the monitoring station (same price range as an NVR of DVR). If you want additional storage you could either get a cheapo USB drive or NAS and use that to store the pictures\video if the laptop’s HD wasn’t large enough to store all you want.
With a laptop you also get a mobile “command center” you can have that bad boy on wifi with the security screen up and move it from room to room. Plug in battery when needed.
Example: You’re out in the shop (assuming you have wifi out there) you can take it with you to monitor the cameras from there. You get tired and go in for the day. (It’s dark now) you go inside and decide you are going to hang around in your living room and do some reading. You hook the laptop up to your TV (assuming the laptop is circa 2005 or better and the TV is about the same) and you have the cameras up on the big screen while you’re reading. Now you’re done reading and want to turn it. You take the laptop to your bedroom, plug it in for the night and turn the brightness down. Now you have the alarm system with you. If something triggers you can view the screen right away.
The NVR is in a fixed location, but you cannot view the video on it, it does ALL of its work over the network.
You can (in the systems I have seen) view the video from any computer on the network. As such, you could put your NVR in your "Safe room" and carry a laptop about which talks to the NVR via the wireless network.

Aaron Z

/ Caught an Intruder #103  
Tractor by net=paranoia 101. Maybe it's one of the people on this site who walked on the property. They will know exactly what you are planning to do to catch them. I think I hear the twilight zone music. :eek:

Maybe. Ever been a victim of a crime against you, a loved one, or your home? I'd say by the beginning of your post, probably not.

/ Caught an Intruder #104  
I hate when that s*** happens.

Sometime back we had someone open a window near a flat screen TV. I'm sure they were going to slide it out the window but were scared off when we came in from the closed garage where we were having a smoke. Now we shoot targets on the property on a weekly basis. The sound travels and my guess is acts as a warning of sorts.

I also added a trip wire at the edge of the woods-line that will fire off a blank 12-gauge shell. That should make them sh** their shorts if they decide to come back.

See trip wire here

/ Caught an Intruder #105  
My friends, we have a problem.

Seems that y'all expect a shady character bent on mischief thinks logically like YOU do...and has same motivations and fears...

NOPE, don't think so. When someone enters the realm of illegal dealings, they are driven by fundamentally different motivations, fears, actions than we law abiding folks are. They are willing to take risks and actions we are not willing to engage in for various moral, legal, societal or religious reasons.

As a prior poster indicated, capacity for response to safety issues is degraded because we have consistently reduced funding for various social services, including Law Enforcement and Fire fighting. Net is, we have to pay out of our own pocket to develop our shields for personal/family protections and property preservation.

Thus, inevitably, as personal safety, perceived or real, decreases, the only response is to either do nothing and live with the risks, or spend more money (instead of taxes) on weapons, locks, safe rooms, warning systems, property identification, perimeter barriers.

Having visited numerous foreign countries, this is exactly what the well to do create there....live within fortresses with armed hired guards 24/7.

Many steps along the road to that end, but that's the ultimate end point.

/ Caught an Intruder #106  
I hate when that s*** happens.

Sometime back we had someone open a window near a flat screen TV. I'm sure they were going to slide it out the window but were scared off when we came in from the closed garage where we were having a smoke. Now we shoot targets on the property on a weekly basis. The sound travels and my guess is acts as a warning of sorts.

I also added a trip wire at the edge of the woods-line that will fire off a blank 12-gauge shell. That should make them sh** their shorts if they decide to come back.

See trip wire
Haven't seen you on TBN for a good while.
Good to hear from you !

/ Caught an Intruder #107  
Rather, I should say that I almost caught him.

To make a long story short, I had just walked over to my garage to work on my tractor when my wife called for me in a somewhat urgent way. Oddly enough, she wouldn't simply tell me what she wanted, but opted to run over to the garage to tell me instead.

As it turns out, she had been standing on the back deck of our home when she heard someone cough but she couldn't see anyone, at least not until she heard a branch snap under the weight of someone's foot which immediately drew her eyes to a man wearing a black shirt standing at the edge of our property. Knowing he had been seen, he immediately made a hasty retreat.

After learning what was going on, I ran to the house to get my pistol (for my protection) and went looking for him or some clue to where he may have went but saw nothing. I also called the police (more than 3 hours ago), but they have yet to show up. How's that for protection?

Our property is very private and it cannot be seen from the road due to a wooded area between us and a large field adjacent to our property. I'm certain the guy had ran off towards the field but can only speculate as to which direction he went after that.

The guy could have been standing there for a long time and I can only speculate what he was up to, but given the location where he was seen and it's view of our home and my garage, he had to have been either perving or casing our home for theft, probably the latter. That, and I strongly believe whoever it was had to have known the area very well, probably being a local.

Given our secluded location, we always knew that there was the possibility of something like this happening, and now that it has, I want to take measures to protect the perimeter of our property and perhaps even catch whoever it was if they are stupid enough to come back. Several possibilities come to mind, but suggestions are welcome.

Is it against the law to stand on the edge of someone's property? Creepy yes, illegal, probably not, at least as far as your rights are concerned. There is that to consider in whatever actions you would plan.

They weren't merely on the edge of my property, they were on my property which is clearly marked. In other words, they were treaspassing.

How far from your house was the guy on the "edge of the property"?

I tried tp reply to.this last night when there were only a few replies; but found that I didn't know what to say. A day l later all I can add is that " I'm Flabbergasted at the number of suggestions of guns and hi tech surveilience cameras in response to a brief sighting of someone who may have been lost or even just standing on the edge of his own property thinking about coming over and saying hello. There is simply no real reason to suspect nefarious activity based on the information given. (Although I will confess that after reading 11 pages of this thread I went out and took the keys of the ignition of my company truck.)

/ Caught an Intruder #108  
....Having visited numerous foreign countries, this is exactly what the well to do create there....live within fortresses with armed hired guards 24/7....

Having lived in the local economy of middle east countries, while they had their issues, crime was not something I was concerned about.

Their punishments seemed to deter even the most petty of crimes. One has to wonder, why is that?

/ Caught an Intruder #109  
Call VideoSurveillance.com When I was shopping for an IP camera system for the office I looked at many web sites. Found this one and decided to give them a call. They were very patient and answered all my questions with no pressure. I did buy from them and happy I did.

Be aware that a quality camera does not come cheap. But now I can even view the office from my smartphone.

Jack

/ Caught an Intruder
I tried tp reply to.this last night when there were only a few replies; but found that I didn't know what to say. A day l later all I can add is that " I'm Flabbergasted at the number of suggestions of guns and hi tech surveilience cameras in response to a brief sighting of someone who may have been lost or even just standing on the edge of his own property thinking about coming over and saying hello. There is simply no real reason to suspect nefarious activity based on the information given. (Although I will confess that after reading 11 pages of this thread I went out and took the keys of the ignition of my company truck.)

You would have to see the area and know the entire circumstances of the situation to understand why I reacted to the intruder the way I did. I am not given to panic, nor prone to irrational thinking, and don't feel the need to justify my reaction to anyone. However, I will say this...

If the intruder was just someone who was "lost" or was simply the property owner "just standing" on the edge of his own property, then why did he flee immediately upon being sighted? Besides, he was not standing on his property, he was standing on my property. Not to mention the fact that he was not merely standing, he was hiding.

Lastly, there is much information I have not disclosed about this situation. As mentioned previously, this is a public forum and for all I know the intruder may very well be reading everything I'm saying.