Akita Pool

/ Akita Pool #221  
We haven't had an issue with our existing one, although it was already oxidized if that makes a difference. What's the concern? The next tank we plan to coat the inside with a paint used for swimming pools or potable water tanks, so that should make it a non-issue anyway, I hope.

Mostly if will just aggressively rust out your tank. There are probably a few insignificant fumes released. You would have to have it in an enclosed room with zero ventilation to even measure them.

/ Akita Pool #222  
My wife has a stain color that she likes. I forget what it is right now, but will post when we get to that point. I'm debating if I want to do anything else to it or not. I'm not a fan of a shiny, glossy look. I've thought about oil, but haven't really compared what's out there. I have a few different brands on my shelf, so I'll read the labels and see which is best, and then do a test to see if we like the results. Or maybe a sealer that doesn't have much of a sheen designed for the outdoors.
I'm not a fan of the glossy look either. My dad went with a marine varnish on the T&G undersides of the roof on our cabin and I hated it once I had to maintain it. I think an oil that doesn't build up would be good.

/ Akita Pool #223  
I may use a small horse trough for my Great Pyrenees-Anatolian Shepherd mix puppies. They are Central Texas dogs but get plenty hot.

/ Akita Pool
We had a birthday party on Saturday with over 20 people, and it turned out great. The pool was a lot of fun, especially with the little kids who played on the stairs most of the time. The big discovery, and change that I'm going to have to address is that when lighting the grill, the ceiling fans pull the smoke into them. This created a very smokey area under the porch that needs to change. We turned off the fans and the smoke when away, but having to leave the fans of when lighting the grill doesn't seem like a good option.

I've been looking out outdoor hood vents, and what others have done. Seems like almost all of them are stainless steel. We don't care for that look. The other models that we've found online are a lot more money if you don't go stainless steel. Even the inserts that go into a home made vent box are crazy expensive, and stainless steel.

My current plan is to buy a normal 36 inch, best quality from Lowes, range vent and then build a metal box around it that tapers to a smaller square tube that goes into the attic area of the porch. I'm thinking that I'll run 7 inch round ducts from the top of the range vent up into the attic area, then turn it out the side of the porch and up to the height just above the second story of my house, kind of like a chimney.

Has anybody tried to do this before? My plan is to use angle iron and then tack in sheet metal inside the angle iron so I have clean edges as viewed from the outside. I'll post pics once I start to do this. I need to buy some angle iron. I'm thinking 1 1/2 inch should look the nicest.

/ Akita Pool #225  
We had a birthday party on Saturday with over 20 people, and it turned out great. The pool was a lot of fun, especially with the little kids who played on the stairs most of the time. The big discovery, and change that I'm going to have to address is that when lighting the grill, the ceiling fans pull the smoke into them. This created a very smokey area under the porch that needs to change. We turned off the fans and the smoke when away, but having to leave the fans of when lighting the grill doesn't seem like a good option.

I've been looking out outdoor hood vents, and what others have done. Seems like almost all of them are stainless steel. We don't care for that look. The other models that we've found online are a lot more money if you don't go stainless steel. Even the inserts that go into a home made vent box are crazy expensive, and stainless steel.

My current plan is to buy a normal 36 inch, best quality from Lowes, range vent and then build a metal box around it that tapers to a smaller square tube that goes into the attic area of the porch. I'm thinking that I'll run 7 inch round ducts from the top of the range vent up into the attic area, then turn it out the side of the porch and up to the height just above the second story of my house, kind of like a chimney.

Has anybody tried to do this before? My plan is to use angle iron and then tack in sheet metal inside the angle iron so I have clean edges as viewed from the outside. I'll post pics once I start to do this. I need to buy some angle iron. I'm thinking 1 1/2 inch should look the nicest.

The chimney sounds good. What about putting copper sheeting over the vent you buy? You then can age and/or color it with mutliple colors of "patinas" like here....http://www.colorcopper.com/pages/copper-countertops
or here........ Patina Formulas for Brass, Bronze and Copper

When I build my house, I'll do my copper countertops with one of the shades of patina.
hugs, Brandi

Last edited:
   / Akita Pool #226  
   / Akita Pool
The chimney sounds good. What about putting copper sheeting over the vent you buy? You then can age and/or color it with mutliple colors of "patinas" like here....http://www.colorcopper.com/pages/copper-countertops
or here........ Patina Formulas for Brass, Bronze and Copper

When I build my house, I'll do my copper countertops with one of the shades of patina.
hugs, Brandi

Thanks Brandi!!! That's an interesting look. We have been searching for ideas, and I really like how "natural" copper looks.

/ Akita Pool #228  
I may be preaching to the choir, but 2 90 degree bends in the exhaust stack will seriously reduce the CFM capacity of the vent hood. Can you vent straight up with a suitable roof termination?

/ Akita Pool
I may be preaching to the choir, but 2 90 degree bends in the exhaust stack will seriously reduce the CFM capacity of the vent hood. Can you vent straight up with a suitable roof termination?

I can, but that would mean getting a boot to go through the meal. My pitch is 2:12 for the porch, so that means I have be extra careful in getting it installed perfectly. It also means that if there is any movement in the porch, that's where my leak will be. While doable, I really prefer to avoid that for just a BBQ. How much do you think I'll lose with two 7 inch 90's on a vent rated at 300 cfm?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NuTone-...18209?storeSelection=6514,6545,8540,6579,6817

/ Akita Pool #230  
If you are going to build a box, why not put an extractor fan on the outside? Then you can just use the box and the fan outside. Just be sure to pitch it toward the hood and run the joints with the small end toward the hood so any grease runs back down the pipe and into the hood vs dripping on the deck.

Aaron Z