40 Acres, Steep!, 1 Mile Road; Need Advice

/ 40 Acres, Steep!, 1 Mile Road; Need Advice #71  
Pugemasta,

Since you are looking at other options, check out a Toolcat. It is very popular with commercial snow removal operators:

View attachment 582207

Low center of gravity, here is our 5610 on a 27 degree side hill, the hanging chain shows true vertical:

View attachment 582198

Digging and hauling dirt with a 6', 1 cubic yard bucket:

View attachment 582199

View attachment 582200

The 8' box blade:

View attachment 582201

View attachment 582202

The 6' box blade on the front:

View attachment 582203

View attachment 582204

The 8' brush hog:

View attachment 582205

View attachment 582206

The Toolcat forum: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/toolcat/

X, impressive photos as always! :thumbsup:

/ 40 Acres, Steep!, 1 Mile Road; Need Advice #72  
Also, I was recommended box blades from everything I read back around 2001 for maintaining the drive..... so I bought one and used it for the drive and leveling an area for a garage.... my conclusion over the years and knowing now what I didn't know back then.... box blades on a 3pt suck! :laughing:

First, there is no down pressure on a 3pt hitch, so you have to rely on the weight of the implement to get a bite.

Second, the implement undulates up and down based on a few things. Like if your front tires dip into a low spot, the box blade comes off the ground, and when your front tires climb up a high spot, the box blade goes splat on the ground and digs a hole. It is not easy to get the hang of leveling a drive or pad with a box blade. Sure, I took the time and became relatively proficient at it, but that was because I had to.

Looking back on it, I should have gotten a land plane and not a box blade.

land plane - Google Search

A box blade can move more material than a land plane, however, I had an FEL that could move 3/4 of a yard at a time, so that advantage is out.

A box blade can be pushed backwards to move material and a land plane cannot, however, again, I had an FEL that can push dirt.

Anyway, it's something to think about when deciding which tools you want and need. Here's a pretty good comparison I found, so read, read, read and take some notes.

The Land Pride Dilemma: Box Scraper vs Grader Scraper — Humphreys' Outdoor Power

/ 40 Acres, Steep!, 1 Mile Road; Need Advice
Toolcat looks awesome, but low PTO hp is deterring me. Agreed, very cool photos.

I spoke with the AC dealer about the TRX 7800, he offered a price of $45k and said an open cab would be in stock early January. He said they don't see a lot of used, those that they do see have a lot of hours. Coupled with lack of a FEL, AC may be out of the running.

I stopped by my local kabota dealer as well and looked at the mx5200, he offered a price of $33k. All the other dealers where closed for the weekend, so I will try again next week. Looks like a nice tractor that could fit in budget with some negotiating, but should I also consider the mx5800? I originally asked about used m59 or m62s, but they sound few and far between here.

Mossroad: The Kubota dealer also recommended a grader scraper. I think this is a good idea as I don't really see using the box blade for much else. Glad you mentioned this!

I think I will skip the snowblower for now and just buy a good back blade. I wish I didn't see a need for the backhoe due to cost, but I think it would be quite useful for building trails.

I started a thread in the PT forum inquiring about the PT-2460 as we haven't seen any 2460 owners on this thread. Link is below:

https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums...460-road-maintenance-general.html#post5286028

/ 40 Acres, Steep!, 1 Mile Road; Need Advice #74  
Last edited:
Thanks Jeff, currently browsing the landpride catalog. Have an opinion on an 84 or 96 inch back blade? Two passes with a 96" would clear my road of snow nicely, but could see a narrowe being easier to handle for dirt work. Perhaps it is a large enough tractor that to 96 will be fine.

Thanks for the links. Those messicks videos have helped me a lot. What made you go with Kubota over other brands?

/ 40 Acres, Steep!, 1 Mile Road; Need Advice #76  
Thanks Jeff, currently browsing the landpride catalog. Have an opinion on an 84 or 96 inch back blade? Two passes with a 96" would clear my road of snow nicely, but could see a narrowe being easier to handle for dirt work. Perhaps it is a large enough tractor that to 96 will be fine.

Thanks for the links. Those messicks videos have helped me a lot. What made you go with Kubota over other brands?

We don't really have any idea of what tractor you will be getting, so a recommendation for an 84" or 96" blade width would be irresponsible at this point in time IMO. Just keep in mind that if you can, get a blade width that is about the same or even a bit more than total tractor width at the rear tires WHEN THE BLADE IS ANGLED AT 45*. You really want to be able to make most of your cuts at least as wide as the tractors foot print leaves. I believe that you will be using your rear blade at 40*-45* when plowing snow.

On a side note, I highly recommend skid shoes for any rear blade that you happen to get. :thumbsup:

/ 40 Acres, Steep!, 1 Mile Road; Need Advice #77  
Toolcat looks awesome, but low PTO hp is deterring me. Agreed, very cool photos.

-------------------------

What do you need more PTO hp for?

I only used ours on one project, borrowed the neighbors post hole digger.

I would rent a skid steer post hole digger if I needed to do a lot of posts.

/ 40 Acres, Steep!, 1 Mile Road; Need Advice #78  
First, there is no down pressure on a 3pt hitch, so you have to rely on the weight of the implement to get a bite.

Second, the implement undulates up and down based on a few things. Like if your front tires dip into a low spot, the box blade comes off the ground, and when your front tires climb up a high spot, the box blade goes splat on the ground and digs a hole. It is not easy to get the hang of leveling a drive or pad with a box blade. Sure, I took the time and became relatively proficient at it, but that was because I had to.

I have a Bush Hog (Brand) Rollover Box Blade, RO-600, 60" wide and 630 pounds = 126 pounds per foot.

I usually have a HydrauLink Top Link in place, in lieu of the Kubota Top Link.

The HydrauLink oscillates in length about 2", one inch on either side of set length. ( I realize not everyone has a HydrauLink.) (I also use the HydrauLink in conjunction with my Landscape Rake.)

The heavy ROBB cuts fine. The auto-vary HydauLink length effectively reduces hobby-horse effect from ground undulations.

You can see red HydrauLink in photo. I am cleaning out dirt and ashes from heavily used community yard debris burn pit. Pretty smooth cut.

BB Versus LPGS, best depends on the task.

VIDEO: Hydraulink w voice over in house.wmv - YouTube

Attachments

• DSC00072.jpg
    DSC00072.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 90
Last edited:
   / 40 Acres, Steep!, 1 Mile Road; Need Advice #79  
Thanks Jeff, currently browsing the landpride catalog. Have an opinion on an 84 or 96 inch back blade? Two passes with a 96" would clear my road of snow nicely, but could see a narrower blade being easier to handle for dirt work. Perhaps it is a large enough tractor that to 96 will be fine.

This is a conundrum.

You can make calculations using the following Triangle Calculator.
LINK: Right triangle Calculator - High accuracy calculation

Other factors: soil moisture/soil type, height of moldboard, weight of blade, tire type, wheel/tire ballast, if any. (R1/ag tires or R4 industrial tires with chains for max traction.)

I purchased Kubota because I have an excellent, honorable Kubota dealer six miles from my property. I fuel and grease my tractor. At age 71 I have the dealer perform all other service. When I visited Deere, ten miles away, I could never get attention in the compact tractor yard.

I wanted a heavy, relatively narrow tractor for woods work. The Kubota L3560 Grand L, recommended by the dealer, is perfect. The HST+ transmission is remarkable.

You are welcome for the Messick's LINKS. Sure beats typing the information Neal provides.

Last edited:
Faxman, I suppose you are right as the limited PTO hp wouldn't matter as the toolcat snowblower would be hydraulic. It is out of budget though at 50k or so by my account. How would a toolcat do at road maintenance?

We're pretty much set on 55 hp or so. So blade size for that sized tractor. Am just curious.