New log splitter

/ New log splitter #31  
I have Honda engines on most all my small equipment. I just wonder why others have not adopted whatever Honda does to make their engines superior. Must be covered with some pretty strong patents.

/ New log splitter #32  
I've been looking at log splitters, but haven't decided what to do yet so I stopped in at Northern Tools today and looked at their log splitters. They had a really massive one rated at 37 tons. 8 bolts on each side of the slide. Heavy duty beam, large diameter cylinder. I looked more closely and am now confused, so help me out here and tell me what I'm missing:

The cylinder is 4.5" diameter, so 15.9 sq in of surface. Couldn't find the spec for the pressure, but the high pressure hose was rated for 4000 psi, meaning the actual pressure is probably a little less, but I'll use 4000.

Thus 15.9 times 4000 = 63,600# = 31.8 tons.

Where are they getting the 37 tons (74,000#)? The pressure would have to be 74,000/15.9=4654 psi. That's an over pressure of the hose by 15%. What am I missing?
I was looking at those not long ago, the specs for the 37t list it as a 5in dia cylinder. You sure it was a 4.5?

/ New log splitter #33  
Yes. The one I was looking at had 4.5" on the cylinder. If it was 5", then I can see the 37 ton. I'm wondering if they ran out of 5" and just put in 4.5" until they got more 5"?

/ New log splitter #34  
I have an older TSC/Huskee splitter that was built by Speeco. It's a 22 ton model, and I chose it because it had the fastest cycle speed too. It's been a great splitter, and the B&S engine starts first pull, every time. Just had it out for the first time in a year, and sure enough it started with the first pull.
I have 3 Honda engines, and at least 2 are the better GX series. They are difficult to start every time. Part of the problem with them is they need over 1/2 throttle to start even when they are hot. Either that or choke every start, warm or cold. I'm used to engines starting with the throttle bumped just above idle, so it's a learning curve for me.

/ New log splitter #35  
Unfortunately, that's rather common in the log splitter world. I'm not sure how they get away with it, but in years past when I was shopping, I saw more splitters with exaggerated ratings than I did with honest ones.
Marketing. Most people wouldn't know the difference or even how to calculate it. Sort of like stereo equipment in the 70s...some WT Grant stereo with built-in 8 track that's "1000 watts" when it really might be 5% of that at best.
I have Honda engines on most all my small equipment. I just wonder why others have not adopted whatever Honda does to make their engines superior. Must be covered with some pretty strong patents.
Again, marketing. Charge a premium price and make all your marketing hype about it's "legendary" quality and reliability, after a while people believe the hype. Apple's done quite well with that approach.

Over the years I've had small engines from 'most every maker (including the Chinese stuff), they're all about the same...small differences, but that's about it.

/ New log splitter #36  
Mine refused to start once, discovered some idiot hadn't turned the fuel on.

The Honda on my Timberwolf won’t start without the ignition switch turned on which is mounted on the beam side out of sight from normal starting position of the operator.

I know this for a fact.
I’ve tested it many many times unaware....

/ New log splitter
The Honda on my Timberwolf won’t start without the ignition switch turned on which is mounted on the beam side out of sight from normal starting position of the operator.

I know this for a fact.
I’ve tested it many many times unaware....

I can verify this with my own testing of these same switches. They reliably prevent starting when in the off position.

/ New log splitter #38  
When and why did small engines start having that priming bulb? It never used to be there and for a healthy engine, they always started.

/ New log splitter
When and why did small engines start having that priming bulb? It never used to be there and for a healthy engine, they always started.

I only see them on two strokes.

/ New log splitter #40  
I know I have one on my 4 stroke Makita Blower.