Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #21  
I maintain about 3 acres. I've also got a 500 ft gravel driveway. Down the lane from me is a paved entrance to these properties that also has to be cleared of snow in winter.

I started looking at subcompact tractors but ultimately decided on a compact. There have been SOOO many times I've been glad that I did. A subcompact simply would not do the jobs I've gotten into. Size, weight, and power all would be sorely lacking for dragging a box blade full of crushed stone, scraping mud off the boat ramp, or moving fallen Ash trees to the pile.

Buy bigger now so you don't have to later!

BTW I LOVE my New Holland. I shopped all the brands. All of them. Could not find anything with the specs, features, and brand support of the New Holland for the same money.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #22  
That depends on if and how much mowing you do with your machine...that 3 range transmission is a time saver in most cases...

Mike
The B2601 is rated at 12.7.mph in high.
The SA324 is 6mph [low-range] and 12.3mph in high.

Bob

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #23  
Unless you're mowing a golf course, high speed mowing and tractor don't fit in the same sentence. I wouldn't punish me or my tractor trying to mow a few acres.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations
Realistically I think a B2601/JD 2025R or LS (IDK what series, 225S?) would be ideal for my usages. Once the home is built/driveway is paved (I would like to avoid gravel) I don't expect to be doing much. Sure, if a tree comes down then yes, I'll have to clean it up with say a grapple (I'll be getting 3rd function on the loader) and general brush but I don't plan to be cutting down trees or putting in roads etc. If I do, it will be very few instances where dealing with the smaller size of the tractor would be fine. Mowing, snow removal, and general yard tasks (spreading mulch, small ground projects for say a flower bed etc).

The biggest thing I don't know is if I should go down the hydraulic chute rotate/deflection for the blower. The unit will live inside my garage during the winter but we all know there will be instances where it won't be or where I'll have to transport it in the cold. I also have no intent of getting a Kubota cab, I will find a cheaper aftermarket soft cab to keep the wind/snow off as I can easily handle my own warmth with winter gear.

Also on the towing/trailer aspect, I am not concerned. I own a 2002 2500hd with a Duramax and have a gooseneck trailer with 12k weight capacity.

Last edited:
   / Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #25  
The B2601 is rated at 12.7.mph in high.
The SA324 is 6mph [low-range] and 12.3mph in high.

Bob

Mowing is mostly done in mid-range....if you want a good cut....and don't want to get beat up doing it...

Mike

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #26  
Perhaps you would ask your dealer about this tractor:

willy

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #28  
I do most of my mowing in M range (HST), some steep hills in L range, and never mow in H range.

Like others have said, I'm not beating myself or my tractor up by trying to fly over pastures to see how fast I can mow. That's just idiotic. Medium range is about as fast as I can tolerate traveling over semi-rough surfaces. I'm not mowing golf courses either, most of the fields and pastures I end up mowing are fairly rough surfaced, and hopefully not too many hidden gems like rocks, old fence posts and fallen trees. I'm sure as heck not flying along hell bent for leather and "hoping" I don't find something in the tall grass.

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations #29  
YUP Slim, tractors are geared low for power not speed!
Slowpoke Slim still waiting. Rubber shortage and steel
shortages have really hurt a lot of tractor dealers as they are not able to produce any new tractors and that's why you will see a lot of empty dealer lots. One dealer told me the rubber shortage really set the manufacturing of tractors back 2 or more weeks as they can't get any tires. Sad to hear that. No worry the production lines should be rolling on producing all those nice shiny new tractors!

willy

willy

/ Sub-Compact/Compact Recommendations
I'm starting to wonder if I would be best served by a Simplicity Prestige, Simplicity Legacy XL, JD X500 series, or JD X700 series for mowing/snow blowing the paved driveway and get a larger tractor for tractor duties...............

The need is stemming from my current Husqvarna having a K46 trans that is on the outs. It's gone through wheel end shaft seals twice now as well as no longer unlocks, meaning that the posi unit has become a locker. I've serviced it with the Tuff Torq fluid, magnet etc and still have this behavior.

Last edited: