Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look?

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #91  
I don't recall another TBN member (OP's original persona) who comes off quite like this version of him.

I was stuck in a long line at a post office counter. An early 20's kid several places behind me was on his cell phone- wheeling, dealing, recounting his accomplishments; also giving legal advice based on how he outsmarted the cops. You couldn't tune it out. Others trapped in line were rolling their eyes at each other. He was also job hunting and just that very morning had received an offer for $240K/year With a shot at VP in a year or so. He told the person on the other end that if he accepted the job, he would make a position for that person too. He jumped from call to call and since he talked nonstop, the called people must have been spellbound too. Or there was nobody on the other end.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #93  
That's interesting. My house is 650' off the road, and the cable company ran their line back to the house for no installation charge. Several years later, fiber optics became available, and that company did the same thing. I don't think traditional land line service is available anymore for new installations. The local phone company is pushing their fiber optics for new service.
My lec Century link ran the first quarter mile, they implied the rule had been fudged before, and didn't used to exist at all. My situation was rockstar weird, so I did the last quarter mile just to have it done.

When I had a real job, I lived in a little tiny town outside of Topeka KS. I was the only one with a data line in my exchange, the phone company would call me to schedule switch/power maintenance, it was a hoot.

With enough money, I assume you can get glass pulled to anywhere. Good advice above about getting a pro to do the hunting.

Best,

ed

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #94  
This weekend I have an appointment to see two different properties that are over 800 miles apart, getting a real estate agent to grasp that you are looking across multiple states is a very hard deal to do just FYI.
Actually, I have little doubt that there are professionals in the real-estate business that realize that time is money, and people that have money may be looking across the country for a specific set of criteria and need help finding a home/land.

I'm pretty certain Ted Turner didn't buy his farm off the Salmon river in Idaho literally in the middle of no where by flying in with a Cessna himself just to kick the tires (well, perhaps you could drive to his farm as I don't know that for a fact, but apparently the put in for that year was washed away due to record water levels and we had to fly in by Cessna to the "new" put in that year, and from what I remember, it took a couple of days to hit his property so I'm assuming you couldn't drive in LOL).

800 miles apart just looking for a place on the same weekend is pretty impressive. Also seems like a lot of wasted time and money just to say no to a place when your budget is only 400k to 1 million dollars (which in today's market IMO really doesn't get you what it once did).

Last edited:
   / Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #95  
I vote for the possibility that this is a land speculator trying to get leads on desirable below market value properties
Perhaps, but he did nail it when he mentioned about the federal funding and programs for running fiber for the internet to homes in rural areas.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #96  
I vote for the possibility that this is a land speculator trying to get leads on desirable below market value properties
l told him ....... mines for sale.

this is the truth. if i tell 100 guys about my place, 95 of them get glassy eyed and smile and say, man i'd love to have something like that.

when i tell 100 women about my place, 100 say EXACTLY the same thing.

what if something happens?

interesting how the 2 genders approach life.

as they say, cash talks and ........ you know the rest

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #97  
Also seems like a lot of wasted time and money just to say no to a place when your budget is only 400k to 1 million dollars (which in today's market IMO really doesn't get you what it once did).
There is a house on the corner that is back on the market, small lot for surrounding area. Lot was $15K with no takers, so owner built a house and sold it for $125ish. Repo'd and now on the market for $300k.
Definitely can't buy what you used to be able to!!
David from jax

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #98  

this is the truth. if i tell 100 guys about my place, 95 of them get glassy eyed and smile and say, man i'd love to have something like that.

If you tell 200 people about your place, you'll likely have some thieves make a visit if there's anything of value there.

/ Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #99  
Last edited:
   / Going back rural.... Can't wait, where to look? #100  

Truth is, you just haven't found the right woman yet ;)

My girlfriend at the time (now wife) was good on the eyes, great cook and had a good career along with a father who wanted her to take a gun with her when she moved to NC LOL What sealed the deal? She could drive my manual truck and offered to run shuttle for me when I went out by myself kayking.

I'm guessing the majority of guys here married the same kind of woman. Wife and I are vastly different in many aspects, but when it comes to the "important things", we seem to always agree and for whatever reason, we seem to compliment each other in other aspects of life.