Looking for a good compact tractor

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #61  
"Loading" the tractor's rear tires with liquid will increase traction in a cost effective way.

Adding wheel weights will also increase traction, though iron weights are much more costly.

MORE ON WHEEL/TIRE BALLAST:

Consider routinely carrying around a Three Point Hitch implement as FEL counterbalance and additional wheel ballast if you need yet more traction. A considerable amount of the implement weight is transferred to the tractor wheels, both front and rear, through the Three Point Hitch.

Before your next tractor purchase consider this: Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!
The problem with fluid in the tires is when a tire gos flat.....and they do go flat from time to time. Food for thought

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #62  
I'm looking for a compact tractor for 11 acres. 5 of those acres have a lot of dead trees we are looking to remove. We have goats and are looking to get more animals, and will need a tractor that can handle those. We also would like to be able to lift and pull a good amount. Any recommendations?
Well Reagen - when you return, enjoy the dialogue and discussion on this thread! There are some good nuggets here - it's really how and which of those nuggets resonate best with your situation and goals.

BTW, "We have goats and are looking to get more animals, and will need a tractor that can handle those" I don't a tractor that can handle goats or any animal!

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #63  
I guarantee, if you hit an unseen obstacle in the woods, even at low speed, your foot would jerk away from the clutch pedal. And if the tractor really did start to do a wheelie, at 1 mph with a 50" tire, it would take about 2s to reach 90 degrees, the point of no return. My bet is you would have trouble keeping your foot on the clutch then, too. Of course, you could put anti-rollback legs on the tractor, as they do in tractor pull events. You could also pull with a scraper blade. Any large implement would stop a wheelie rollover, but not a side rollover. And I still had a close call with a sapling that popped up when it hit the front axle and ran into my chest. It nearly broke my ribs, which hurt for a week. And this was with an HST, where all I had to do was stop pressing the pedal. I am not trying to say which transmission is "better". I am trying to point out situations where there is an actual safety difference. And any system which requires more operator skill to avoid an accident is intrinsically more dangerous. I think that should be obvious. And the original poster indicated a variety os uses for the tractor. Woods use was one of them. That is probably the most dangerous activity a tractor can be used for,
I guarantee that if your control is so bad that you cannot stop your tractor (your own words by the way) then HST will not make a bit of difference. Hitting an obstacle with HST could cause you to increase pressure on the pedal and make things worse. Your imagination that makes a clutch foot wildly flail about but magically, your right foot is under control has more to do with your ability to spin a yarn than how one system works versus the other. BTW, many shuttle shift tractors do not require the clutch to change directions. Of course, if the narrative is that my hands also fly off the steering wheel, that would be hard. It is perfectly OK to admit that you prefer HST. Don't make false statements about it being inherently safer than a shuttle shift. I don't want someone else to get injured or die because they have a false belief that the HST will prevent accidents. All tractors are only as safe as the operator is being at the time they are being operated.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #64  
As Torvy said, go to school on whatever you decide. Spend whatever amount of time you need to understand each and every aspect of the tractor not only for your own safety but for your family as well. Personaly I like the powershuttle but I wouldn't say it's any safer than the other choices. Good luck and have fun

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #65  
I've been in the woods since the late 50s with Farmall Hs and Case SCs. (Hint: don't turn sharp to the right). I also have owned a HST for the past several years.
I agree 100 per cent with Hermio. While log skidding, to get to the clutch pedal in time to stop a rear "flip over" is going to be very hard, even when traveling slow. Someone previously mentioned .5 seconds. I doubt it is even that.
What will be harder yet is holding the clutch down when the front end crashes back to earth. Chances are you will be slightly (or majorly) displaced from your normal seated position. Try KEEPING the clutch pedal down thru all this.
In contrast, as soon as your start a flip on a HST, you remove your foot (just as fast, or faster than a clutch) from the HST pedal. The tractor stops, crashes to earth, and operator can be flipped off the back, out of position or even on the ground, the tractor doesnt move again until the HST pedal is depressed. Which will be some minutes while the operator gets cleaned up and changes his underwear.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #66  
Interesting I never really thought how a hydro could be safer in this regard but it does make sense.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #67  
Interesting I never really thought how a hydro could be safer in this regard but it does make sense.
It also illustrates how important it is to use the drawbar instead of 3PH for pulling something.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #68  
You are missing the point. Kubota is historically known for lighter machines in a given “class” if you look at dimensions of the machines. Thats what I am saying.
I look at it a little differently. All tractor manufacturers offer lighter and heavier tractors for different markets, and offer different power levels within a tractor frame size, and offer different frame sizes for a reason.

If a given Kubota, say, at a given power level, is lighter than a Mahindra, for example, then the two may not be really comparable, and perhaps you should be comparing the next frame sized up Kubota.

The point being that most manufacturers offer different weight tractors at the power level you want, so choose the model that fits your both weight and power level.
Comparing a Kubota B with a Kioti isn’t right. Should be using something like an L or Grand L ( I don’t know my Kubota models, but you get my drift).
It’s senseless to compare a Smart car and a BMW 5 series, but , then again, Mercedes offers more than the Smart.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #69  
I look at it a little differently. All tractor manufacturers offer lighter and heavier tractors for different markets, and offer different power levels within a tractor frame size, and offer different frame sizes for a reason.

If a given Kubota, say, at a given power level, is lighter than a Mahindra, for example, then the two may not be really comparable, and perhaps you should be comparing the next frame sized up Kubota.

The point being that most manufacturers offer different weight tractors at the power level you want, so choose the model that fits your both weight and power level.
Comparing a Kubota B with a Kioti isn’t right. Should be using something like an L or Grand L ( I don’t know my Kubota models, but you get my drift).
It’s senseless to compare a Smart car and a BMW 5 series, but , then again, Mercedes offers more than the Smart.
You arent considering dimensions. L, W, H, wheelbase also matter. There are always reasons not to move up a frame size just to get the same weight. This affects storage, interaction with implements, stability, and accessibility.

We usually compare tractors by their dimensions…then look at weight. I would not consider a machine that is the same weight but 2 feet longer than another to be comparable.

/ Looking for a good compact tractor #70  
I'm looking for a compact tractor for 11 acres. 5 of those acres have a lot of dead trees we are looking to remove. We have goats and are looking to get more animals, and will need a tractor that can handle those. We also would like to be able to lift and pull a good amount. Any recommendations?
A Mahindra 1626 would be perfect for your plans. You'll need the rear tires filled no matter what you buy.

Hydro or shuttle options available. I have the shuttle but that's my preference.

I use mine for a business. From burying horses to bush hogging,It's been an amazing machine. If something happened to it, I'd buy the exact same thing again.