Must Tractor ROPS Be So High?

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #81  
From the outside looking in, it would seem that limbing some trees would be a better answer than risking serious injury or death. I know that is work but it's something done every 10 or 15 years? I am not telling anyone what to do, just curious.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #82  
First time seeing that too. Does the ROPS need to be upright to open the hood?
On some brands yes, on others not really. It comes down to the design of the manufacturer.

This style of ROPS is very common for the Vineyard and Orchard tractors, since it really reduces the height of the tractor, making the steering wheel the highest point. A must when working under trees and such. On some countries of Europe, they choose to use this style of ROPS on compact tractors as well and therefore expanding their presence into other types of farming. The tractor is then setup accordingly to the needs of the costumer, either by using smaller tires to reduce the height even more, or to increase the width the tractor, etc.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #83  
On some brands yes, on others not really. It comes down to the design of the manufacturer.

This style of ROPS is very common for the Vineyard and Orchard tractors, since it really reduces the height of the tractor, making the steering wheel the highest point. A must when working under trees and such. On some countries of Europe, they choose to use this style of ROPS on compact tractors as well and therefore expanding their presence into other types of farming. The tractor is then setup accordingly to the needs of the costumer, either by using smaller tires to reduce the height even more, or to increase the width the tractor, etc.
I just looked at your photos again. There appears to also be a very short second ROPS behind the seat. Interesting.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #84  
From the outside looking in, it would seem that limbing some trees would be a better answer than risking serious injury or death. I know that is work but it's something done every 10 or 15 years? I am not telling anyone what to do, just curious.
I agree. Maybe one day I’ll get there. 70 acres of overgrown planted pines and woods plus the old lanes & firebreaks. Burning it all soon. The trimming is the ‘fun’ part, it’s the cleanup that’s a bear.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #85  
n

Ok, it has been said many times in this thread so you be the engineer and decide how you want your tractor modified.

Here are the choices:
lower the ground clearance
lower the seat
make humans shorter
shorten ROPS that fails tests to protect the operator
make hitch pins so ROPS fits under doorways

Just what would you choose?
The O.P. has an absolutely sound question and in regards to your "shorten ROPS that fails tests to protect the operator". My BX was factory supplied and sold in the US with a ROPS measuring 70.4" Consider the current production Massey GC17XX non-backhoe, sold in the US, assumingly meeting current MFG. legal requirements for sale in the US.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #86  
The O.P. has an absolutely sound question and in regards to your "shorten ROPS that fails tests to protect the operator". My BX was factory supplied and sold in the US with a ROPS measuring 70.4" Consider the current production Massey GC17XX non-backhoe, sold in the US, assumingly meeting current MFG. legal requirements for sale in the US

After seeing repetitive complaints, I was trying to put the Op in the engineers seat to see that sometimes they end up with a product they don't like either but it is the best they can do. Their solution is to put a hinge and pins on the ROPS to get it under a standard door. (I wasn't a part of this decision making process but I have been in a few just like it.)

Not sure what your point is. Are you saying that tractors of other sizes should still fit under what, 70.4 inches?
A BX23 (no idea if that is what you have or not) sits 4 inches lower to the ground than the Op's JD 2025. It probably has a higher seat.
All this adds to the ROPS height and looking online a BX23 ROPS comes in at,,,,

1643855309527.png

I am fine that others complain. I complain too. But complaining isn't fixing the problem and I have offered other solutions.
If you want make comparsions, that is fine as well I just don't see how it helps the Op.

Good luck and carry on.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #87  
I am a firm believer in never altering any safety equipment on any moving vehicle or machinery. They are designed that way for a reason. That is a major problem with online blogs. Anyone can post a comment or recommendation because they think they are an expert.

A local guy here was mowing near his pond with the ROPS folded down. Tractor rolled over into the pond and he was trapped. He did not make it. So is it the manufacturer's fault because the ROPS could be folded down?

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #88  
I am a firm believer in never altering any safety equipment on any moving vehicle or machinery. They are designed that way for a reason. That is a major problem with online blogs. Anyone can post a comment or recommendation because they think they are an expert.

A local guy here was mowing near his pond with the ROPS folded down. Tractor rolled over into the pond and he was trapped. He did not make it. So is it the manufacturer's fault because the ROPS could be folded down?
Some engineer is told to make a device and he does so. It is tested and given a stamp of approval to be produced. It is designed to cover a larger number of conditions. If the conditions do not exist there is no reason not to change the device. ROPS are such a device. A poultry barn may have a low ceiling. Would you clean it out by hand or would you lower or remove the ROPS to clean your barn? Your yard is covered in trees that have branches hanging down. Do you run with the ROPS all the way up and tip the mower every time you mow or do you lower it?

A new table saw comes with all kind of instructions about using the guard. However there are certain cuts that are safer without the guard. So do use the guard because the book says to or do you remove the guard and do it the safer way?

No engineer can design a product for every contingency. You do the best you can and if changing a factory device is needed so be it.

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #89  
I'm going to build a pole shed for my new Kioti and am waiting for it to get here so I can get an exact measurement on the height off the ground. I was just gonna build it 8 ft off the ground but thinking that might not be high enough. I'm curious if it will fit into the barn, I'd hate to have to fold it down every time I have to drive through the barn...
I am not going to take the listed measurements as fact, I want to see it in person....

/ Must Tractor ROPS Be So High? #90  
I'm going to build a pole shed for my new Kioti and am waiting for it to get here so I can get an exact measurement on the height off the ground. I was just gonna build it 8 ft off the ground but thinking that might not be high enough. I'm curious if it will fit into the barn, I'd hate to have to fold it down every time I have to drive through the barn...
I am not going to take the listed measurements as fact, I want to see it in person....
When I build I always try to take into account how the structure is designed. Gotta figure a header over the doorways. Gotta decide what type doors to use. I like space to spare. I wouldn't want any doorway shorter than 8ft.