Rail roads and their tracks.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,074  
Never seen a meter maid? Wow.

When I first started at the newspaper, the printing press was on the 1st floor with large windows facing the street. Anytime a meter maid would go by and chalk the tires, a pressman would wait a couple minutes then run out and wipe the chalk marks off the tires of all the other pressmen's car tires with a rag. It was a long-standing tradition. I found it humorous, as the company provided parking 1/2 a block away for $50 a year. They were too cheap to spend 20 cents a day to park without worrying about parking tickets.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,075  

When I first started at the newspaper, the printing press was on the 1st floor with large windows facing the street. Anytime a meter maid would go by and chalk the tires, a pressman would wait a couple minutes then run out and wipe the chalk marks off the tires of all the other pressmen's car tires with a rag. It was a long-standing tradition. I found it humorous, as the company provided parking 1/2 a block away for $50 a year. They were too cheap to spend 20 cents a day to park without worrying about parking tickets.
Wouldn't it cost more than $50/year to feed the parking meters?

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,076  
Interestingly, the City on Monroe, Michigan (the closest large metropolitan city to us), removed all the parking meters. They did that because the meters were contributing adversely to people visiting and purchasing items and eating at beaneries in town. Now, all parking spaces on street are free. Don't know if it actually made a difference or not as we don't go there unless it's business.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,078  
They needed stronger tie straps for this mishap. 4,200 new Kia’s and Hyundai’s destroyed. Largest maritime salvage operation in US history.

1663530210328.jpeg

1663530405851.jpeg

Golden Ray auto carrier near St. Simons Island, Ga. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwifl5P2jZ_6AhUXgGoFHWunBycQFnoECAoQAQ&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Golden_Ray&usg=AOvVaw2m6msUZAbiI8aA38WzWHsL

Last edited:
   / Rail roads and their tracks. #2,079  
It seems like the big issue with that port is, the Panamax container ships keep running aground there. Evergreen especially had bad luck.
I can see the Pacific (California) ports getting less and less traffic. It's all wadded up out there, in the bay as well as portside.

Loitering ships cost lots of money for the owners.
Yep, looking out to the bay there are a number of freighters in the bay but also could be weather related.

/ Rail roads and their tracks. #2,080  

A local hamburger joint/pool hall did something similar. The owner would go out and feed the parking meters with dimes. They sold a little beer too. 😄. Draft by the gallon milk jug $3.00. Nasty when it went flat.