Log splitter 4 point wedge

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #21  
You guys are right that everyone adapts their workflow to their equipment and locations. But even better than optimizing workflow, is adding free laborers to the equation! My 9-year old son is still a little weak and distracted for continuous hard work, but he's getting there.

Free labor is a big bonus. Another person helping really improves the efficiency. Unfortunately, half my free labor (my son) is off at college. My daughter is really NOT into wood splitting, and she has so much else going on that I don't push the issue. She does get interested when her Girl Scout troop all jumps in splitting & stacking wood as a fund raiser - it's as much a social event as it is work for them.

Unfortunately, my daughter is a high school senior, so she'll be off some where next year as well. My wife hates dealing with firewood. She claims she warned me when we got married tht she was not going to help with that. (I'm dubious of that claim: it would have taken a lot of foresight on her part since with did not have a house with a fireplace or wood stove until 5 or 6 years after we got married.)

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #22  
It sounds good but how far do you really get pushing the splits into the trailer. Not far I would guess unless you can load the trailer from the top. Other wise the splits will just start spilling off the table onto the ground when they meet some resistance. You won't get past the first layer before you have to start throwing it up front to make room. A waste of time. Look at SR's set up. He has the splitter jacked up high and the trailer is low to the ground but it does work. Not something easily done in the woods.

I work right at the back of the trailer and just flip the splits in and don't have to chase around the table and in the trailer separating finished splits from those needing splitting again. And those have to be carried back to resplit. To much moving around in my book.

gg

Trailer.JPG

Nice setup!

I really like your trailer and would like to find out little more about it if you don't mind?

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #23  
My friend comes over and we cut wood together here on my place,

Resized-20220815-120547-S.jpg

We also use my equipment to split the wood,

Resized-20220815-132328-S.jpg

Every other load goes home with him,

Resized-20220815-135837-S.jpg

And sometimes my wife gets in on the act too,

Resized-20221020-155244-S.jpg

She loves to run the splitter, but she has a real job, and it takes up a lot of her time.

I have nothing but good things to say about my Timberwolf, it's cost me zero to own, in what must be 10 years of splitting wood with it now. The $3,400 purchase price has been paid back to us over and over since then!

SR

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #24  
I have nothing but good things to say about my Timberwolf, it's cost me zero to own, in what must be 10 years of splitting wood with it now. The $3,400 purchase price has been paid back to us over and over since then!
Timberwolf is definitely a top-notch brand - probably the best splitters I've ever used. They used to be made about an hour down the road from me. I would have ended up with one, but when I started shopping, an American CLS splitter used but in very good condition popped up for a price I could not pass up. They are two of the rare manufacturers who reported the ACTUAL splitting force of their splitters, rather than the wildly inflated numbers so many other manufacturers put out there.

They were bought out some years ago. The new owners moved the operation to Marathon, NY (They now also have facilities in Syracuse, NY). It appears they have changed the design a bit. Hopefully, they are still just as good as the old ones

Last edited:
   / Log splitter 4 point wedge #25  
Nice setup!

I really like your trailer and would like to find out little more about it if you don't mind?

Thank you ! Don't mind at all. It's a Pronovost dump trailer model P-503 made in Canada and bought used and modified over time. It is spec'ed for 3000 lb capacity but will hold more. I added a 1-1/4" Reese hitch so I could pull the wood splitter.
BaldKnobCutOff5.JPG

BaldKnobCutOff7.JPG

I added some stake pockets and rub rails. And made some side boards. Also the front, side, and tailgate panels are removable on it.

P1180110.JPG

That made it pretty versatile

Fwdr5.JPG

Fwdr7.JPG

20_6_12-2.JPG

P1180613.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / Log splitter 4 point wedge #26  
Thank you, I like it (y)

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #28  
I used a 25 ton Didier splitter. My ancient Ponderosa pines were too large for a 4-way. The 4-way split was never an even split. My rounds were 26" to 34". I stayed with the OEM vertical wedge.

A 4-way would be nice if you like the way the round splits.

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #29  
Y
I used a 25 ton Didier splitter. My ancient Ponderosa pines were too large for a 4-way. The 4-way split was never an even split. My rounds were 26" to 34". I stayed with the OEM vertical wedge.

A 4-way would be nice if you like the way the round splits.
Yep. A fixed height 4way isn't going to hit the mark very often.

/ Log splitter 4 point wedge #30  
Yep. A fixed height 4way isn't going to hit the mark very often.
In all the years I've owned woodstoves not one of them ever complained to me about uneven splits going them.

I don't split for "pretty" either, so as long as the splits fit in the stove, I'm a happy camper to be getting done so darn much faster with my 4-way wedge!

SR