Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe

/ Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe
Or at least that is the marketing ploy of brands that price high. You will get as much useful life from a Toyota as you will from a Lexus, but you pay a premium for that fancy badging. Even worse if you pay a premium for a brand like Mercedes.

Year after year, objective evidence shows that price and reliability are not directly correlated, but people continue to spew that nonsense as if it were gospel. Don't let facts get in the way of a good opinion.

I've had a lot of Toyotas, but I dunno if I want to buy the brand anymore. My last Toyota, a Sienna, the dealer wanted 3K to fix the A/C and wanted 2K to change the water pump. The tech manual for changing the water pump started with "remove engine from body". Not my idea of competent engineering.

My father's Prius cost over 2K to fix the A/C.

The first time you take a Prius to a mechanic other than a dealer ......... you find out why you take them to a dealer. I don't mind changing fluids/filters and doing maintenance but I don't want to do intensive repairs. I just don't enjoy it anymore.

/ Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe #22  
Or at least that is the marketing ploy of brands that price high. You will get as much useful life from a Toyota as you will from a Lexus, but you pay a premium for that fancy badging. Even worse if you pay a premium for a brand like Mercedes.

Year after year, objective evidence shows that price and reliability are not directly correlated, but people continue to spew that nonsense as if it were gospel. Don't let facts get in the way of a good opinion.

In order to hold opinions on mechanical quality it's necessary to either rely on others or to educate yourself on the subject.

I've owned a number of Toyotas and Lexus. Mechanical design and modification has been a lifelong hobby and avocation of mine. Repair is also a hobby. There is a huge difference between the way that Toyotas and Lexus are assembled. It's all in the details - and of course that difference is reflected in the price.

I know little about Mercedes because I've only owned two. One I rebuilt completely, the other has needed nothing.

Your oft-repeated mantra of price and reliability not being directly correlated may be true, I don't know. It's not my field. Most tractor guys are not interested in buying based on a large scale overview of the mechanical industry; they want one or two tractors that work for them.
At that micro level there is a direct correlation between price and mechanical quality. Reliability is another story. It is quality considered over time.

Torvy, you sometimes sound like a educated person. It confounds me why don't you listen to someone who knows instead of relying on your literature.
rScotty

/ Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe #23  
jwilliams - I think you'd be best served by a used industrial TLB as others have mentioned. A 37hp tractor of any brand will not be a significant increase in productivity over the JD you have now, yet a Case 580 (or Ford, or Cat) will be.

You must know somebody who can help you look at used equipment. And used equipment is similar to a used car, as lack of maintenance and abuse is pretty universal. Is it clean? Does it look like somebody repainted it? Are the tires worn, buckets worn, pins worn? How do the fluids look? Recent filters and service documentation? Wear points greased regularly?

I think you may know more than you realize.

/ Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe #24  
Beauty does not get the work done. I've only used 4x4 on the JD once and I don't see doing without as a major problem.

Just wish I knew how to access those seasoned deals.....
Maybe there is a seasoned mechanic that could check out a possible prospective unit for a fair fee locally, Somewhat like the service is offered for inspecting used vehicles before money changes hands.

I was not really suggesting that you but a bottom dollar rough but functional machine like I did. Had to have it to get a few time critical jobs done.
Had that not been the case I would have spent at least 3 times the money and bough a 4x4 lower hour and better cared for unit.
as it was had I called a couple hours earlier I would have an under 3000 hour 2003 JD 310 4x4 TLB for 32 K I also almost bought a JCB with cab and 4x4 for 19000 but had some reservations on parts availability
In order to hold opinions on mechanical quality it's necessary to either rely on others or to educate yourself on the subject.

I've owned a number of Toyotas and Lexus. Mechanical design and modification has been a lifelong hobby and avocation of mine. Repair is also a hobby. There is a huge difference between the way that Toyotas and Lexus are assembled. It's all in the details - and of course that difference is reflected in the price.

I know little about Mercedes because I've only owned two. One I rebuilt completely, the other has needed nothing.

Your oft-repeated mantra of price and reliability not being directly correlated may be true, I don't know. It's not my field. Most tractor guys are not interested in buying based on a large scale overview of the mechanical industry; they want one or two tractors that work for them.
At that micro level there is a direct correlation between price and mechanical quality. Reliability is another story. It is quality considered over time.

Torvy, you sometimes sound like a educated person. It confounds me why don't you listen to someone who knows instead of relying on your literature.
rScotty
Lexus are nice cars, but sometimes their design for servicing baffles me. We still have an LS400 in the extended family and I dread the day a starter problem arises.

Great design there...

Burying the starter UNDER the Intake manifold
and throttle body. One of the first things on that job is draining the engine coolant.

For serviceability a Case 580 makes a lot of sense. They are built in a modular fashion after I believe the B models.
Cummins BT engines and any drivetrain parts can be serviced individually.

On the Ford I bought if anything in the power shuttle needs service it means the whole front end of the TLB must be removed including the engine.

Last edited:
   / Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe #25  
Maybe there is a seasoned mechanic that could check out a possible prospective unit for a fair fee locally, Somewhat like the service is offered for inspecting used vehicles before money changes hands.

I was not really suggesting that you but a bottom dollar rough but functional machine like I did. Had to have it to get a few time critical jobs done.
Had that not been the case I would have spent at least 3 times the money and bough a 4x4 lower hour and better cared for unit.
as it was had I called a couple hours earlier I would have an under 3000 hour 2003 JD 310 4x4 TLB for 32 K I also almost bought a JCB with cab and 4x4 for 19000 but had some reservations on parts availability

Lexus are nice cars, but sometimes their design for servicing baffles me. We still have an LS400 in the extended family and I dread the day a starter problem arises.

Great design there...

Burying the starter UNDER the Intake manifold
and throttle body. One of the first things on that job is draining the engine coolant.

For serviceability a Case 580 makes a lot of sense. They are built in a modular fashion after I believe the B models.
Cummins BT engines and any drivetrain parts can be serviced individually.

On the Ford I bought if anything in the power shuttle needs service it means the whole front end of the TLB must be removed including the engine.
Talk about deals, a few years ago I missed an older basic cabbed JD310 with 600 hours. Retired guy had bought it and kept it in his garage just for his own use. Basic machine, but like new. 4WD & extendahoe, plastic still on the seat. He wanted what he paid for it - which was around 50K. Back then they were clutched 4 speed with shuttle.

I hear that a lot about the Case 580s - that they were designed to be easily serviced and maintained. Nice to know something was made that way. Are they still in production? As is, I've never worked on a Case, but servicibility was also how the older JD310s were built. Not as much now, though.

Our 2007 JD310SG is a bit newer and I wouldn't say that it has particularly easy access throughout. Some things that were once easy now require a mechanic with double-jointed arms and disassembly of a lot of pieces before accessing the part. Still, the little bit of removing parts I've done I've noticed that everything is very well made. Fitted, made to last, and with a finished surface. And sometimes when working along I see the same part that has evolved from earlier JDs and notice it has gotten better rather than cheaper. That's encouraging. Hope they go back to that.

It's even good for the environment. Repair is a way better use of material and energy than replacement or recycling.

For awhile the JCB's were common rentals locally. Like many, I was impressed by the small size and heavy build components. And as you say they were priced so low I almost went that direction. Glad I didn't. Haven't seen one at any job for years now. What happened to all those JCBs?

Back to the original topic, if the OP was to find a nice older TLB, what would he do for a 3pt hitch? He has 100 acres to do something with.

rScotty

Last edited:
   / Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe #26  
Talk about deals, a few years ago I missed an older basic cabbed JD310 with 600 hours. Retired guy had bought it and kept it in his garage just for his own use. Basic machine, but like new. 4WD & extendahoe, plastic still on the seat. He wanted what he paid for it - which was around 50K. Back then they were clutched 4 speed with shuttle.

I hear that a lot about the Case 580s - that they were designed to be easily serviced and maintained. Nice to know something was made that way. Are they still in production? As is, I've never worked on a Case, but servicibility was also how the older JD310s were built. Not as much now, though.

Our 2007 JD310SG is a bit newer and I wouldn't say that it has particularly easy access throughout. Some things that were once easy now require a mechanic with double-jointed arms and disassembly of a lot of pieces before accessing the part. Still, the little bit of removing parts I've done I've noticed that everything is very well made. Fitted, made to last, and with a finished surface. And sometimes when working along I see the same part that has evolved from earlier JDs and notice it has gotten better rather than cheaper. That's encouraging. Hope they go back to that.

It's even good for the environment. Repair is a way better use of material and energy than replacement or recycling.

For awhile the JCB's were common rentals locally. Like many, I was impressed by the small size and heavy build components. And as you say they were priced so low I almost went that direction. Glad I didn't. Haven't seen one at any job for years now. What happened to all those JCBs?

Back to the original topic, if the OP was to find a nice older TLB, what would he do for a 3pt hitch? He has 100 acres to do something with.

rScotty
Very Good point on the 3 point. Choices Choices.
Sometimes there are no easy answers.

Looks like the family has spoken ..... and they chose an RK55HC. It's a beautiful machine. If it runs as good as it looks we'll be in good shape.

Thanks all for the info and recommendations ....

/ Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe #28  
Congrats

That is a major step up in size from the JD 3025

/ Need advice on buying best value on small loader/backhoe #29  
Looks like the family has spoken ..... and they chose an RK55HC. It's a beautiful machine. If it runs as good as it looks we'll be in good shape.

Thanks all for the info and recommendations ....

RK is just a TYM with different color paint. You should get a TYM instead. If there is no TYM dealer around you, I would not get one. RKs service has not received great reviews.

RK is just a TYM with different color paint. You should get a TYM instead. If there is no TYM dealer around you, I would not get one. RKs service has not received great reviews.

Wasn't my call.

I do appreciate the info tho. I've got my fingers crossed. At least we are in the range of a serious machine.