12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!!

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #151  
If I saw $200 on a car sticker for nitrogen, I’d say take it out and put in air. Not paying the $200 extra. I agree, not enough difference to matter.

I bought a new Mazda about 2-3 months ago while it was on a boat. Now it’s a garage queen.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #152  
But is that any different than a vehicle sitting on a dealership lot for months like in the old days? A vehicle sitting shouldn't cause a leak if one didn't exist before.

Vehicles that sit at dealerships are attended to; the trucks at Kentucky Speedway weren't.

I just read a post today regarding fog light wires chewed by mice on a truck with 106 miles on it, one of the trucks that sat. Add to it, I just read there are still 40k undelivered '22 Super Duty trucks, and they're delivering '23s to lots.

I can't imagine being one of these guys that still has not received their already built 2022 truck; they're pretty pissed.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #153  
Yes, putting nitrogen in the tires is a scam. They don’t tell you about the nitrogen charge until you are sitting down to buy the vehicle. When I bought the Tacoma I saw the add ons for nitrogen, tinted windows, clear plastic trim on the door edges (which started peeling off in a couple of weeks) and tonneau cover. I do like the tinted windows, the tonneau cover is useless as nipples on a bull. But hey, I liked the truck otherwise so I bought, it is what it is. I should have told them to put argon in the tires and see what they said, lol.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #154  
Yes, putting nitrogen in the tires is a scam. They don’t tell you about the nitrogen charge until you are sitting down to buy the vehicle. When I bought the Tacoma I saw the add ons for nitrogen, tinted windows, clear plastic trim on the door edges (which started peeling off in a couple of weeks) and tonneau cover. I do like the tinted windows, the tonneau cover is useless as nipples on a bull. But hey, I liked the truck otherwise so I bought, it is what it is. I should have told them to put argon in the tires and see what they said, lol.
I like my tonneau cover. It's the leather covered hard top. It can be installed or removed within a couple minutes. Allows for dry storage in the bed if we are traveling with the grandkids. Can be removed easily if I need to haul something in the bed.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #155  
I like my tonneau cover, also. It’s just an inexpensive soft top but keeps things dry when it’s raining and rolls up out of the way in seconds if I need the space. I really miss my Katahdin racks with side rails but if I ever buy a set will probably have the tonneau modified so that I can still use it.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #156  
All those add on products I prefer to buy afterwards. I like my bed cover.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #157  
I’m sorry, but that’s just plain nuts doing that. You are getting crushed on not only depreciation, but sales tax.
Sounds like a mental disease.
Have you priced used trucks lately? Some were going for more than new ones because they were available and new ones had a months long wait. Sales tax is the same on a $35,000 new truck or used one. At least in CT, tax is paid when you register it, so it does not matter if you buy from a dealer, out of state dealer, or private sale. The big guy gets paid, always does!

I buy new, get a 20% discount on the price through the GM card, first responder discounts, dealer incentives etc. That's the same as buying a 2 year old vehicle, and I get the full warranty and no repairs for 3 years.

We keep our cars for 14 years or so. By that time, they owe me nothing, and are usually pretty worn out.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #158  
Have you priced used trucks lately? Some were going for more than new ones because they were available and new ones had a months long wait. Sales tax is the same on a $35,000 new truck or used one. At least in CT, tax is paid when you register it, so it does not matter if you buy from a dealer, out of state dealer, or private sale. The big guy gets paid, always does!

I buy new, get a 20% discount on the price through the GM card, first responder discounts, dealer incentives etc. That's the same as buying a 2 year old vehicle, and I get the full warranty and no repairs for 3 years.

We keep our cars for 14 years or so. By that time, they owe me nothing, and are usually pretty worn out.

Yeah I am seeing the same thing. Because of covid and supply chain disruptions, we are seeing situations where availability is so low, used is worth more than a newly ordered truck.

I own 20 pieces of equipment and have never found trading new equipment or vehicles every 6 months to be a profitable or practical venture.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #159  
Yeah I am seeing the same thing. Because of covid and supply chain disruptions, we are seeing situations where availability is so low, used is worth more than a newly ordered truck.

I own 20 pieces of equipment and have never found trading new equipment or vehicles every 6 months to be a profitable or practical venture.
You like working on things. My friend doesn’t. He also takes exceptional care of his things. He only had one truck, which he needed to depend on so that he could work away from home 4-5 days per week. He banked his mileage checks, used his GM card for gas, meals, and motels so accumulated a pretty good amount toward the new truck. They were paid for when he drove them off the lot He never had to worry about being off warranty; or even buying tires. Gas, oil changes and insurance were the only things he worried about.
Just because it doesn’t work for you doesn’t mean it won’t work for everybody.

Considering how much down time I had in the same period of time because of stupid things like U-joints, transmissions, and other miscellaneous crap; I would also have been better off buying new and trading often. A manufacturer warranty is a wonderful thing. When you’re 500 miles from home, changing brakes or a fuel pump in the motel parking lot isn’t much fun. I also was driving 50,000 miles/year.

Another colleague found out the hard way how expensive a breakdown can be; he worked in NY for two weeks and his Subaru lost the drive line on the way home. The entire profit was eaten up the repair bill, as well as by motel fees while he waited for his car to be repaired. I was lucky, considering the places I used to travel. I was never more than 30 miles from home when I had a break down I couldn’t fix. But I did lose a lot of money to down time.

/ 12 to 18 month wait for new vehicle!! #160  
Pay me now or pay me later.