474HC Will it pull logs?

/ 474HC Will it pull logs? #1  

fishbones

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054
Yep, still trying to decide. I really like the 494 but its just to big for my barn. I have a lot of grapple and log skidding work to do but cant find much information on how they pull logs so I am hoping someone has some insight.

/ 474HC Will it pull logs? #2  
Depends on terrain and the weight of the logs. There are plenty of examples of members using tractors to pull logs within reason in the show me your woods thread, but tractors are not substitutes for bulldozers or timber skidders.

/ 474HC Will it pull logs? #4  
A team of horses will pull logs just fine if done right, no reason a 494 can’t if the terrain isn’t to severe and you use your head and they are not giant red wood trees.

What I call a grapple is more for large logging skidders and tractors. Takes up to much weight lifting capacity on a small tractor.

With horse and old drawbar only tractors they made a simple sled pulled with a chain to set the front of the log on.

Smaller tractors work well with a simple arched 3 point drawbar to chain the log to. If pulling greater distances and the train is fairly straight and suitable for wheels a wheeled arch is a nice addition to the back of the log to ease the pull.

IMG_0470.jpeg

Be careful going down hills however as the log of lifted on wheels will want to push you.

Also one dangerous thing some do is just use a bar between the lower arms. Without the top link if it catches a stump it can quick flip over a tractor backwards faster than one can react.

/ 474HC Will it pull logs?
I should have posted the link. Tractors and wood! Show your pics

If you intend to do a lot of work with logs, take a look at the 3pt logging winches.
Thanks, I started going through it last night, thats a long thread :0) I just need to clean up 15 or so downed trees and a bunch of brush. I was thinking of building or buying a 3 point skidder. If this was going to be ongoing I would definately look at a winch.

/ 474HC Will it pull logs? #7  

TYM T474​

TYM T474 tractor photo
2019 -
Compact Utility tractor
Weight3230 to 3605 pounds

TYM 474HC
Will it pull logs?

YES
Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

Last edited:
   / 474HC Will it pull logs?

TYM T474​

TYM T474 tractor photo
2019 -
Compact Utility tractor
Weight3230 to 3605 pounds

TYM 474HC
Will it pull logs?

YES
Sufficient tractor weight is more important for most tractor applications than increased tractor horsepower. Bare tractor weight is a tractor specification easily found in sales brochures and web sites, readily comparable across tractor brands and tractor models, new and used.

Within subcompact and compact tractor categories, a significant tractor capability increase requires a bare tractor weight increase of 50%. It takes a 100% increase in bare tractor weight to elicit MY-OH-MY!

Thanks Jeff, good info.

/ 474HC Will it pull logs? #10  
Yep, still trying to decide. I really like the 494 but its just to big for my barn. I have a lot of grapple and log skidding work to do but cant find much information on how they pull logs so I am hoping someone has some insight.
Too big, how? I got lucky and built the barn to accommodate the tractor, with cab, if needed