4WD and loader work

/ 4WD and loader work #61  
Make sure you use a heavy counterweight on the back end to keep the weight from transferring mostly to the front axle. Without a counterweight you'll be overstressing the front axle and the front and rear axles will be binding against each other.

/ 4WD and loader work #62  
Without a loader, it will, for the most part, only result on bald tires. With the extra weight of the loader plus whatever it's carrying, it often results in stripped couplers on the drive shaft to the front axle or stripped bolts on the ring gear of the front axle.

Results of running in 4WD all the time, regardless of the conditions or even need for 4WD in the first place. Only 412 hours on this tractor.

312747683_5430260557080539_8654006439752145002_n.jpg

/ 4WD and loader work #63  
I also find that running my tires at recommended pressures allows EASY in and out of 4x4.

/ 4WD and loader work #64  
I have one tractor that I bought new in 2007 and one I bought used in 2016 and another I bought new 2022.
I almost never take them out of 4WD.
The ONLY time they would be out of 4WD is if I drove them up the driveway which is like a dirt road. Then, I would even put them in high range too.

/ 4WD and loader work #65  
In 1974 I bought a pu NEW that had a 203 in it, it never gave problems, and I never converted it.

It was a decent pu but I never really liked it, it was a bit low on power and used too much gas.

SR
The conversion really helped gas mileage. I could get 20 with mine on a highway trip. Hard to get 10 with full time.

/ 4WD and loader work #66  
I read in the manual for my LX2610 that it's fine to work in 4WD doing loader work, which I have been doing. I watched a video with Tractor Time with Tim and one of the comments was that he should not being doing loader work in 4WD as it's gear on gear drive and its grinding gears when one of the front wheels spins and the other doesn't.

I just want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong.

Edit:
I should have been more clear, TTWT was doing similar work as I was, a commenter, not Tim, said that.
Hi,

Tractors are like all 4WD equipment. The real issue is making tight turns, that you should not do any time because it places a lot of stress on the gears and other front end components as well as help lead to premature oil seal leaks.

Being in 4WD is not the same as having the lockers engauged. When engauged lockers tie all 4 wheels together without the effects of free wheeling in the differentials so when using the lockers keep the machine aligned in a fairly straight orientation until the machine is clear of the situation that triggered the use of the lockers. eg. soft terrain where there is a high risk of getting stuck.

4WD alone allows some freewheeling and therefore safe to do while using the loader. (Freewheeling does not grind gears it is supposed to work that way.) The machine will perform better even when working with soft materails and 4WD will give the machine better stability because the bucket's payload places weight over the front wheels alowing greater control. To prove the point consider the time you got stuck in the mud and the left rear and right front wheels rotated but the others did not which was why it was stuck. Engage the lockers and all 4 spin. Your still stuck but at least you know everything is working ok. BTW a yank'em kenetic rope is a great thing to have when you need to get pulled out of a sticky situation. They provide a constant pull even when the tow machine has stopped and reduces the risk if twisting your frame.

I can't stress the point of not making sharp turns while in 4WD mode. An example could be while mowing to the end of a row and turning back to start the next one. As you clear the row lift the mower and take it out of 4WD before making the turn. Then reenguage 4WD and drop the mower to continue under load.

Tight turns are the devil when it comes to 4WD so try to aviod them whenever possible, and keep it straight when using the lockers otherwise happy scooping.

/ 4WD and loader work #67  
Technically a true 4WD transfer case is not a differential but an AWD transfer case is. Has to do with fixed versus variable ratios between output shafts
Actually it is another differential between front and rear instead of left and right. Nothing to do with ratios.
While light tractors may not be designed with enough strength in their gear system. Saying they are grinding while in use is a bad description or misunderstanding. Keep in mind loaders that are strictly loaders are full time four wheel drive and performance is the best. Loading the bucket is primarily intended for material that is already excavated unless the bucket has teeth. Operator error or abuse is another matter.

Last edited:
   / 4WD and loader work #68  
Interesting thread, but my 2004 dodge Dakota had the 203nv? Transfercase that was full-time awd and I wish is was still an option today!

/ 4WD and loader work #69  
I read in the manual for my LX2610 that it's fine to work in 4WD doing loader work, which I have been doing. I watched a video with Tractor Time with Tim and one of the comments was that he should not being doing loader work in 4WD as it's gear on gear drive and its grinding gears when one of the front wheels spins and the other doesn't.

I just want to make sure that I'm not doing anything wrong.

Edit:
I should have been more clear, TTWT was doing similar work as I was, a commenter, not Tim, said that.
I agree with another poster that one should never use 4x4 when 2x4 will do. However, I usually engage 4x4 when doing loader work, especially when working on a slope. It gives extra traction, and aids stopping/braking when going downhill.

/ 4WD and loader work #70  
The OP said: " I'm confused as to why the manual shows what it does below for 4WD."
There is nothing there that should confuse you. It simply shows you how to engage the 4WD. SO ?

You also said Tractor Time with Tim said "he should not being doing loader work in 4WD." None of us know what the context of that remark may have been but overall it is bullcrap. Use 4WD when you feel you need it or it offers you an advantage. This thing is supposed to serve you, not the other way around.

And I agree with Sawyer Rob -- stop watching foolish videos. In fairness to TractorTime with Tim, there was almost certainly some kind of situation which we cannot know (and you apparently did not absorb) that caused Tim to make such a pronouncement. So ignore it.
Maybe Tim Should stick to a shovel and wheelbarrow?