Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced?

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #91  
I'm talking about working vehicles, not playthings. Almost all UTVs have a dump bed. ATV has a whole different purpose and is much cheaper. The cheapest Wrangler within 150 miles is over $15k and is 10 years and over 125k miles on it.

Brand new Honda ATV has under $5k MSRP.

So no, for most people, a Jeep is not a better deal than a ATV or UTV (just for different reasons). For what it's worth, my UTV was thousands less than the used Wrangler.

If it works for you, that's awesome.

For over 95% of the riding we do a Jeep is far better than a SxS. A Jeep with 125k miles will last another 75k miles. I doubt a SxS will last half as long. A used $15k Jeep has a cab, windshield, wipers, air, heat and carries four. Add that to a SxS (if you even can) and you fork over another $6-15K. Plus, I can use the Jeep on the roads and highways.

Like I posted earlier...met a guy who spent $40k on a Can-Am Defender and I think he is a fool. He needs to trailer it to go on the ORV trails and logging roads that I can drive to with a Jeep.

I do not miss the Ranger and RZR we sold 6 years ago. It gets old eating dust when riding in a group.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #92  
For over 95% of the riding we do a Jeep is far better than a SxS. A Jeep with 125k miles will last another 75k miles. I doubt a SxS will last half as long. A used $15k Jeep has a cab, windshield, wipers, air, heat and carries four. Add that to a SxS (if you even can) and you fork over another $6-15K. Plus, I can use the Jeep on the roads and highways.

Like I posted earlier...met a guy who spent $40k on a Can-Am Defender and I think he is a fool. He needs to trailer it to go on the ORV trails and logging roads that I can drive to with a Jeep.

I do not miss the Ranger and RZR we sold 6 years ago. It gets old eating dust when riding in a group.
Riding and working are two entirely different needs. I'm only talking about work tools. The only 'fun' with our SxS is driving the short distance to the neighbors whenever they have a shindig.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #93  
We were upset with the price increase when we ordered our 2022 6x6. But we still needed a tool to get the job done. Today we could get the same thing for $3000 less, but we needed the machine back then. Some people loose sleep fretting over $$ but when you are gone, the $$$ stays.
1716483644487.jpeg

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #95  
Riding and working are two entirely different needs. I'm only talking about work tools. The only 'fun' with our SxS is driving the short distance to the neighbors whenever they have a shindig.
My "work" SxS is a Mule SX that cost $8100 new and is bullet proof. Came with a three year warranty.

Anyway, didn't you get an EV SxS? Hisun??? Around $13k? Someone here got one and I looked at them when we were looking at getting something better than the Mule. But they have the same top speed and the range was short. Killed the idea for us.

It was going to cost me another $12k to get a faster Mule and that was more than I want to spend for something with a 20 mph faster top speed to ride trails, logging roads and back roads 20 times a year.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #97  
Interesting read .. it surely doesn't take much to get some exited that for sure ....

Over price yes, some are ''cheaper'' but are cheaply made, some are made better but then more expensive... But just about anything in life can be priceless in certain situation at a certain time.... the notion of inflation is hard to get wrap around because the salary is not keeping up, so yes everything is overprice... in 1995 a honda trx300 was $5000 (that was a hell of a machine for the time I still own one and I love it to this day and I used it more than my can-am XT 1000 that will over heat if I don't wash the radiator every second ride) what is $5000 worth today?? 10k ... so today quads are not out of hands price wise but they have 850cc or 1000cc in them and are sold for what 14 to 20k yeah it's a lot of money for a bunch of plastic you will loose behind the first trip but not out of hands if the salary would keep up with inflation but it is not the case. So again if you take that per account I say yes.

Last edited:
   / Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced?
Whoever says whatever product is overpriced, please built some quality ones for the same or less $. We'll take two!
My cousin used to have an apropos saying anytime one of us would complain about the cost of something... "Yeah, but did you ever try to BUILD one?" (Whatever the item was, he did have a point!)

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #99  
I'm talking about working vehicles, not playthings. Almost all UTVs have a dump bed. ATV has a whole different purpose and is much cheaper. The cheapest Wrangler within 150 miles is over $15k and is 10 years and over 125k miles on it.

Brand new Honda ATV has under $5k MSRP.

So no, for most people, a Jeep is not a better deal than a ATV or UTV (just for different reasons). For what it's worth, my UTV was thousands less than the used Wrangler.

If it works for you, that's awesome.
It does work for me.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #100  
My "work" SxS is a Mule SX that cost $8100 new and is bullet proof. Came with a three year warranty.

Anyway, didn't you get an EV SxS? Hisun??? Around $13k? Someone here got one and I looked at them when we were looking at getting something better than the Mule. But they have the same top speed and the range was short. Killed the idea for us.

It was going to cost me another $12k to get a faster Mule and that was more than I want to spend for something with a 20 mph faster top speed to ride trails, logging roads and back roads 20 times a year.
Yes. The range is a non-issue for us. Never used more than 20% of the battery in one day. 45 miles on a charge is plenty for a work unit. I get it not working on a trail unit.

The only other EV ones cost 2X ours.