Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced?

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #81  
Price a utilitarian sxs/UTV, it'll be $20k or more. Priced a ClubCar Carryall 1500, it was $20k. Nothing fancy, a work machine. Same thing, a John Deere Gator was $23k. One of the fast, trail-riding machines that have less utility but more speed and off-road capabilities, it'll be $30k and more. This sure seems like a lot of money. But the market has evolved for both types such that there is a LOT of competition, many choices. Do you think these machines are crazy overpriced or 'worth' what they cost. Do you think that there is enough competition that the market has them priced fairly for the quality of the machine, they are built robustly, or do you think all the manufacturers are just greedy and making way too much money? It bugs me to get 'ripped off' but OTOH, am curious if market dynamics always keep prices in check... or not so? Can greed ever manifest itself in a competitive market? Collusion would be hard to accomplish with SO many manufacturers.

I could start a similar thread about pickup trucks. Problem is, seems to me, they are way too dang big these days and there's too much 'stuff' on them. Perhaps they are very well made, lol. I guess I got my money's worth out of my 2008 Nissan Titan, have 250k miles, still going.
Absolutely they are overpriced. Pickups as well. Consumers and lenders are half the problem. No side by side should cost 20k period and no full size truck should ever approach 100k.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #85  
Not many ATV's with dump beds. And not all UTV's have dump beds. People use them for many purposes, including transportation and off road. So, a Jeep is a viable option.
I'm talking about working vehicles, not playthings. Almost all UTVs have a dump bed. ATV has a whole different purpose and is much cheaper. The cheapest Wrangler within 150 miles is over $15k and is 10 years and over 125k miles on it.

Brand new Honda ATV has under $5k MSRP.

So no, for most people, a Jeep is not a better deal than a ATV or UTV (just for different reasons). For what it's worth, my UTV was thousands less than the used Wrangler.

If it works for you, that's awesome.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #86  
Whoever says whatever product is overpriced, please built some quality ones for the same or less $. We'll take two!
How about build some trucks that the average person can afford that don't have all the fancy bells and whistles. Just saw a TFL video
and the bare bones trucks are approaching 50k! An average consumer loan for 49K at 6% APR for 60 months is almost 1k a month before tax/tag/title and insurance for a bare bones truck. Lets call it 1k a month. But I suppose 50k for an entry level truck is ok.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #88  
Who would be taking the loss? The manufacturer or the dealer?
Manufacturers of durable goods are not going to price them at a loss. If people stop buying things, the prices will come down. At the same time, manufacturers will reduce production of those things that don't optimize profit.

Dealers may sell at a loss because inventory is expensive...but they will also not restock with low profit margin supply.

Unfortunately, the 'market' for trucks is not what those of us who have farm/work trucks actually need. They are outfitted for the professional who gets a T boost from driving a truck or who uses them 1-3 times a year as a 'truck' and commutes the rest of the time with it. There are more of them than us. They have more money than most of us. Mfgs have limited facilities to produce. As corporations, they have a fiduciary responsibility to maximize profits for the shareholders. That means they are unlikely to make many 'basic' versions of trucks.

Don't blame the mfgs, blame the urban guys driving big trucks just to replace T.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #89  
Everything is overpriced in my opinion.