Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced?

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #61  
The best thing about the ignore feature on this and other forums is it reduces the BS quite a bit and you can still read a comment if you so desire to.

I don't much care who puts me on ignore as this is nothing but an Internet forum and not real life by a long shot.

As a rule, I don't put anyone on ignore as I find that option to be very immature. Just as easy to not read a comment actually.

Besides, I don't sleep with any of you on here and don't personally know any of you either and candidly, don't want to.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #63  
Price a utilitarian sxs/UTV, it'll be $20k or more. Priced a ClubCar Carryall 1500, it was $20k. Nothing fancy, a work machine. Same thing, a John Deere Gator was $23k. One of the fast, trail-riding machines that have less utility but more speed and off-road capabilities, it'll be $30k and more.
Didn't read but the first two posts, but it does baffle me that people will pay $40K plus for a JD UTV when you can buy a new Challenger for $22K.

Okay, that's a V6 with few options, and getting AWD is another $1,500, but still.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #64  
Didn't read but the first two posts, but it does baffle me that people will pay $40K plus for a JD UTV when you can buy a new Challenger for $22K.

Okay, that's a V6 with few options, and getting AWD is another $1,500, but still.
The MX 750 EPS has Horsepower (bhp/kW). 37.5 / 28. Liquid cooling. What is the V6 option?

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #65  
The only downside of my Mule SX is it has a top speed of 25 mph. That makes it a work vehicle and not much fun for blasting down trails.

Just over $8000 when I got it and they are about $9,500 now.

It was going to cost me $12,000 more to trade up to a “funner” toy. Not worth it to me, but might be to others.

I am looking at an old S10 for $1500. Spending $3-5000 to make it more trail worthy. It has a cab, heat and A/C. Plus I can drive it to town if I need to. Downside is plates, and $1000 for insurance every year. But seems a better option than a $35,000 SxS. Plus I can park the S10 outside.

If I need to go into the “goof”, I still have the Mule, but 95% of our off road driving can be done with the S10.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced?
Trying to justify in one's mind the amount and quality of components, the build quality, the cost of manufacturing, what's actually THERE in a UTV... it's kinda difficult to comprehend. You look at a $30,000 UTV and a $30,000 auto, is the UTV 'worth' $30k? Again, it's above my paygrade but it doesn't seem so to me.

But, the above makes me think of bassboats. Very common to spend $40k to $60k. Heck, the motor can cost $20k or more!

I suppose anything with 'fun' or 'recreation' in it is always expensive.

/ Are ATVs/UTVs overpriced? #70  
OTOH, I must consider this... a friend recently said to me, "An ATV is one of the most amazing inventions ever. A critter doesn't stand a chance with these things." He was talking about hunting/fishing.

And then something like the ClubCar Carryall 1500 or John Deere Gator... they do have tremendous utility. I think they should come standard with electric or hydraulic dump beds and that would make them tremendously MORE useful. But... $20k to $25k for one? That seems about twice as much as it should be but I suppose I must be wrong about that, else, the market would have the price there? When you compare $20k to $25k for one of these machines to the cost of a small truck, these machines seem way overpriced. But I am not a market or product expert on such matters. I don't know how much 'economies of scale' come into play... how many pickups are manufactured versus these outdoor machines? Furthermore, perhaps these machines are much tougher and durable than I am giving them credit for? I know my 2007 Honda Foreman 500 is rock steady dependable, trouble-free.

To be clear, I think these machines are a TERRIBLE value. BUT, that hasn’t stopped me from purchasing AND accessorizing them.

I recently sold this (2022 Honda Pioneer 520);
IMG_0258.jpeg

And bought this (2024 CanAm Maverick Trail DPS 1000);
IMG_0462.jpeg

The CanAm (as equipped) costs as much as a new Ford Maverick pickup. Pretty crazy if you ask me…IMO, much better value in the Maverick pickup….but, the Maverick pickup isn’t going to go where the CanAm can go and isn’t anywhere as fun to drive off road, as the CanAm.

Mike