Attachments bogging down under load

/ Attachments bogging down under load #1  

445guy

Tractor
1999 John Deere 445
I have a 445 JD This past summer I noticed that my PTO driven mower deck would bog down if I got in a bit of heavy grass such as my septic field which grows much faster than the rest of the yard.
I noticed a hydraulic leak later in the fall and after taking the tractor apart to look at the transaxle I discovered the pressure relief valve at the top was leaking fluid. I would say profusely because it took 3/4 of a litre to fill.
Long story short, I replaced o- rings/ seals on the valve to fix the leak. Now this winter I’m using my front mount PTO driven 47” Blower and it is bogging as well.
We had a heavy snow fall last year and my blower powered through snow drifts in amazing fashion.
This year it seems to be loading up and bogging in what I consider very little snow by comparison. Love my JD and it has performed flawlessly for many years.
Any advice or clues to what might be going on are much appreciated.

/ Attachments bogging down under load #2  
I suspect that Deere put a test port on that unit so you can check the PTO clutch pressure. Do you have the service manual?

/ Attachments bogging down under load
Thankyou for taking the time to help me, it’s very much appreciated! I do have a service manual. Without your suggestion I wouldn’t have had a clue where to start or look. I have found the diagram with the PTO pressure test port and the pressure control valve (6-7), (6-13). There is a trouble shooting guide that gives some causes and remedies for when the “PTO Shaft slows down”. I presume that is the problem I’m having. There are 6 possible causes to check out and none of them sound like an easy fix.
1.RPM 2.excessive load 3. Clutch piston leaking, shaft seal, or clutch disk worn,
4. PTO lube reduction valve orifice plugged, 5. Low charge pump pressure, flow and pressure test. 6.PTO pressure control valve faulty. Not sure if I have tools necessary for those tests but will see if I can find Something obvious. Thanks again!
I suspect that Deere put a test port on that unit so you can check the PTO clutch pressure. Do you have the service manual?

/ Attachments bogging down under load #4  
I would also check the fuel and air filters. If you have changed hyd filter to after market you might want to get a JD one.

/ Attachments bogging down under load
Thankyou for the feedback. It’s running fine in my opinion, I was thinking of checking the RPM to optimize performance but don’t feel that is my problem. I have a new JD filter and was going to do a fluid change, but first wanted to be sure I found the leaking issue before wasting new oil. Now that it’s cold here and my garage isn’t heated I figure I’ll wait till the weather warms up before I change it.

/ Attachments bogging down under load #6  
When was last time you replaced the filter in the transaxel?

I would start with checking the PTO pressure since you worked on the PTO relief. Should not have changed setting but confirming pressure is a starting point.

2nd would be confirm solenoid valve is operating correctly. If you remove the valve verify it is shifting by connecting to tractor and cycling switch with engine off. You should hear and or feel solid click when energized and then again when de-energized. Do not over tighten valve when re-installing. Do not over tighten coil retention nut.

/ Attachments bogging down under load #7  
Do keep in mind that once they start to slip, they only get worse. Why I regularly check the pack pressure.

/ Attachments bogging down under load #8  
I would also check the fuel and air filters. If you have changed hyd filter to after market you might want to get a JD one.
Do this. It will run fine but with a load you need to supply the engine with more air and fuel.

If what you state (the engine bogging down) I wouldnt be looking at a hydraulic issue. Fuel and air lacking will cause a loaded engine to bog.

/ Attachments bogging down under load #9  
I forgot one other thing, If your 445 has a hyd pickup screen check that.

/ Attachments bogging down under load #10  
Is this the gas engine garden tractor with a Kawasaki 22 HP engine?
forum JD 445.jpg

If it is this forum may not have the best experts for a gas engine
Dave M7040