Bucket level indicator rod---useful?

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #31  
I have had several over the years and used them all. Some seem to be better than others. I think it is in how the linkage is set up. It is best to have maximum swing in the linkage at or near the level position. The one on my new Branson doesn't seem to be as accurate or repeatable as the one had n my old Ferguson.

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #32  
I have my level indicator adjusted for my pallet forks, and it gets me close. I can see the flat top plate on my bucket, so I don't use the indicator most of the time.

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #33  
I use it all the time with my bucket, particularly on any kind of driveway maintenance where I'm looking to scrape, not dig, my (gravel and/or mud) driveway.

Don't really need it with the grapple whose bottom tines I can eyeball for root raking or whatever.

Of course in my case I've never _not_ had an indicator so I don't know what life is like without it. I haven't had any trouble with any activity or attachment breaking my indicator.

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #36  
I just have to wonder how one breaks a bucket level indicator....

Dale
I bent mine in the woods at my dads. I was backing up and a limb caught it while I was looking backwards. Luckily it wasn't bent to bad and I got it fairly well straightened.

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #37  
Here is an indicator I made for my BX. I had all the parts and material, and iy only took a couple of hours to fabricate, paint and install.

Attachments

• IMG_20191230_151726962 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20191230_151726962 (Custom).jpg
    723.2 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_20191229_170118739 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20191229_170118739 (Custom).jpg
    696.9 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
   / Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #38  
I use mine all the time. The rod and holder are painted black, so I painted the top portion of the rod white so when the bucket is level, the white portion is flush with the holder.

It does not always align perfectly when I have my stump bucket or forks on, but it gives me an idea of positioning, which is important when using the forks since I cannot see the tips of my forks from my seat.

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful?

Dale
How? Operator error, of course. With the possible exception of an electrical gremlin, all damage to my tractor and implements can be traced back to the guy in the seat.

Was doing spring cleanup on the 40+, had forks installed to move tree trunks and some pretty substantial limbs to the burn pile. From the damage/bends, I’d assume that the upper tube assembly the rod slides thru got impinged. Most likely one of the limbs was jammed against the tube when I attempted to curl/dump.

IMG_1279.JPG

If you take a close look at the original pic, you can see a slight bend about 7 inches from the top, below the yellow bands I’d painted on. That area was seized in the tube assembly; had to use a piece of rebar and a hammer to remove. Guessing that the lower Big Bend (my apologies to all the Texans out there) was a result of that top seizure. Just a guess.

And being cursed with the need to fix every nonfunctional thing in my shop, here’s a pic of the pretty-much straightened rod, complete with a new orange tip.
IMG_1277.JPG

/ Bucket level indicator rod---useful? #40  

Dale
It’s not hard to do when the operator attempts to use a tractor instead of a bulldozer. Actually it did not take that big of limb to break mine. It was my fault.